Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. T

Quake 1 leak (?) version

Does anyone else remember this? It was the version of Quake I played back in the day and was somewhat different to the final version. I can't find any information on the internet for it...

Some things I remember:

Runes were called Sigils
Maps were missing names
"Buy the full version" nag text before entering episodes other than 1

can't really remember anything else, but yeah. Anyone?

I seem to remember reading about a beta of quake a little while before it came out. It was more of a hexen clone and orges had a big hammer instead of a chainsaw. Anyone know what I'm taking about? Dose any footage of this exist?

When the game is a classic, then leaked alphas acquire a historic value. See the Doom alpha and press-release beta. Or stuff like Lameduke.

Captain Red said:

I seem to remember reading about a beta of quake a little while before it came out. It was more of a hexen clone and orges had a big hammer instead of a chainsaw. Anyone know what I'm taking about? Dose any footage of this exist?

That'd be the QTest version if anything. It was a released version of Quake that had 3 DM maps so people could test the engine and guns. There were monsters in the package though and some people hacked them into the maps. I never did manage to make those maps run though. But yeah, at first the Ogre had a hammer or something instead of the chainsaw. But the game never actually took any of the directions that Romero were dreaming of. So it never came close to where Hexen went. Which it was at first intended to be doing.

Saying that it's a clone when it's the same producer/director behind both games is rather misconstrued imo.

kristus: I think he means the Quake Beta, id had given to testers. I had this from a friend who ran a WAREZ BBS back in the days and it basically was the full game with some odd things here and there. One thing I remember was that for episode 3 and 4 the golden key door had silver key textures and the other way round. There also were vis errors where levels had holes in some places.

Also, I remember the readme saying something along the lines of "If you did not get this copy from id then you are a bad person"

I highly doubt that I still have the disks I originally got it on, and if so, I don't even have a diskdrive installed atm.

I didn't know that was leaked. Though since it was only a few months between Qtest and Quake's official release I suppose it was easy to miss.