Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

The controller support in the latest Zdoom is fucking awesome!

While Zdoom already supported the use of a controller in older versions of the source port, using them was a hassle and not really worth the effort. But in the latest version using a Xbox 360 controller literally changes the interface to a controller friendly one and I have been having huge amounts of fun playing Community Chest 2 on my 42 inch full HD LCD TV by connecting my laptop to my TV while using my Xbox 360 controller, I literally feel like I am playing a real console port and I think the Zdoom team should be commended for implementing the controller support so well.

Am I the only one who has been taking advantage of the new enhanced controller support for Zdoom?

Discuss.

hardcore_gamer said:

I think the Zdoom team should be commended for implementing the controller support so well.

That's all Randy's doing.

ZDoom has in general the best controls of all source ports I've tried so far, even for a classical keyboard and mouse setup.

Control schemes are pretty subjective so I would say that it may be the best as far as your opinion goes but it's silly to claim it's the best overall. For instance I personally prefer the controls Chocolate Doom has over any other port

I do love the controls of ZDoom, they feel superior to many ports, and definitely better than Duke3D or Blood controls (and ZDoom uncapped framerate probably helps), but I also love to do some keyboard-only vanilla dooming in Dosbox and Choco Doom. I guess playing like that is how I originally learned to shoot monsters 15 years ago, and it still feels right.

John Smith said:

Control schemes are pretty subjective so I would say that it may be the best as far as your opinion goes but it's silly to claim it's the best overall. For instance I personally prefer the controls Chocolate Doom has over any other port

I don't see how Choco's controls are that different from ZDoom's; after all, if there's something you don't like about ZD's controls, there's bound to be an option to change it. Hell, you can even customize double-click bindings (through the console, anyway, using the Doublebind command).

I feel that a game should ideally give the player all the tools necessary to customize how he controls himself in game, and ZDoom goes a long way towards doing that.

In a way, chocolate is more flexible because you can change pretty much all of the normally hardcoded keys that doom has.

WildWeasel said:

I don't see how Choco's controls are that different from ZDoom's;

Myopia, eh? Well for starters, as far as keyboard control goes, you can re-map every key that Doom uses in Chocolate Doom. I don't know if you can or can't do that with all keys in ZDoom (F1 for instance), though I know you can do most. Regardless, at worst Chocolate Doom is equal to ZDoom in terms of keyboard mapping.

The main thing I was talking about in the earlier post was mouse control. I can't do anything to the way the mouse works in ZDoom (or lots of ports) to make it enjoyable to play on a trackpad. In Chocolate Doom it's actually pretty easy for me to set the mouse sensitivities to work well with my trackpad.

I'll admit ChocoDoom is one port I haven't tried. I appreciate its technical/historical value and merit, but that's not the gameplay I'm interested in sixteen years after -- I want the bugs fixed, the limits raised, and variety of supported data formats increased. So it's out of the competition as far as I'm concerned; as if this were a competition to begin with...

True, ZDoom does not allow yet to remap all the keys. Some are still hardcoded. So point for Choco. But I'm actually more concerned about to what the keys can be remapped. As for the mouse, ZDoom is -- again, of the ports I've tried, which is not all of them so don't be offended -- the only one where the default sensitivity settings fits me perfectly; with the others I've tried I've had to fiddle for a while adjusting vertical and horizontal sensitivity. I've not tried with a trackpad, I dislike trackpads even for non-game applications.

Your first paragraph is completely irrelevant to my point, I wasn't mentioning anything to do with what advanced features a port supports.

And your second paragraph kind of agrees with what I said in a way that seems contrived to look like its not agreeing with me. All I was saying was that one port does not have the "best" controls for everyone, a lot of it (especially mouse and joystick control) boils down to user preference. For one user port x may have more comfortable controls than port y, for another port y will absolutely be better than port x. That's all I was saying.

Well you should have to adjust your sens seeinc as every mouse is different. prBoom and Odamex let me rebind everything the way I wanted to so I'm happy.

WASD
Q = RL
E = Plasma
F= BFG
1, 2, 4 = Other weapons
Mouse1: Shoot
Mouse2: SSG
Mouse3: Use

=Standard FPS controls lol

I agree with Chocolate Doom having the best mouse control. The default acceleration and sensitivity is perfect, provided I'm using the GDI renderer.

I haven't taken advantage of the ability to remap any of the previously hardcoded keys in Chocolate, though. One thing I would like to see happen on that front is less distinction between the mouse and keyboard. Not so much for Doom, but I like to map the inventory functions to the mouse wheel in Heretic and Hexen.

I made a thread on it earlier.

I had no idea that DOOM would be the reason I got my XBOX 360 Controller. The support for it is practically perfect, and when my wrist seizes up from mouse / keyboard it's always the fallback.

Only problem is that up / down looking with it is a little weird.

Now ZDoom just needs to have split-screen multiplayer a la Legacy to truly outdo any possible console DOOM port. That would be amazing.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

...and when my wrist seizes up from mouse / keyboard it's always the fallback.

WTF... Use your computer less! You are 15! You don't want RSI for the rest of your life :(

Mr. T said:

WTF... Use your computer less! You are 15! You don't want RSI for the rest of your life :(

I was exaggerating a bit, lol. I meant generally "when my wrist gets tired".

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Only problem is that up / down looking with it is a little weird.

This is why I don't like playing more modern FPS's on consoles. At least in doom it's really not necessary. However, I initially get frustrated when trying to use sticks to land a headshot.

There's no precision or speed in using console controllers. They're great for games like God of War. But for FPS, never.

They're good for when you only have on of those crappy laptop touchpads things. The problem is I can't ever get the back triggers to pick up in ZDoom, or has this changed? Using RB for fire is awkward and I just want to hit the right trigger button.

Cutman said:

They're good for when you only have on of those crappy laptop touchpads things.

Nah, I even prefer the touchpad to a controller. Me and my brother an his buddy had a laptop lan last summer. (it was in the spur of the moment, we were away working on some things, I on a car, and they on a boat. We all had laptops but only I had a mouse. So we played HL with the touchpad.) Definitely better than a controller.

Actually, I also playtested a bit of Curse of D'sparil with a touchpad. Just for the hell of it. But it was interesting.

Cutman said:

They're good for when you only have on of those crappy laptop touchpads things. The problem is I can't ever get the back triggers to pick up in ZDoom, or has this changed? Using RB for fire is awkward and I just want to hit the right trigger button.

This has changed. As far as I can see the right fire button works fine now. You don't have to use RB to fire anymore.

kristus said:

Nah, I even prefer the touchpad to a controller. Me and my brother an his buddy had a laptop lan last summer. (it was in the spur of the moment, we were away working on some things, I on a car, and they on a boat. We all had laptops but only I had a mouse. So we played HL with the touchpad.) Definitely better than a controller.

Actually, I also playtested a bit of Curse of D'sparil with a touchpad. Just for the hell of it. But it was interesting.

Indeed. I switched from keyboard-only to keyboard+touchpad a while before I started using keyboard+mouse, and it does work pretty well.

Basically anything would be less annoying than using a gamepad for an FPS though.

esselfortium said:

Indeed. I switched from keyboard-only to keyboard+touchpad a while before I started using keyboard+mouse, and it does work pretty well.

Basically anything would be less annoying than using a gamepad for an FPS though.

PS2 controller is bearable for FPSes... always hated Xbox controllers tho

Depends whether you use Mouselook or not really. I play like an absolute demon on a 360 controller now that I have the settings all adjusted perfectly. Ive heard quite a few people go "Holy shit, how are you playing like youve got a mouse?" :D

If I absolutely must use mouselook I hold the left side of the controller for movement and use the mouse to look. I have the right stick mapped to functions instead of looking.