Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EagleDoom

Frustrating levels in Doom 2

Which levels did you find the most frustrating? For me, levels that were really a pain in the ass were

Tricks And Traps
The Factory
The Chasm
The Spirit World (I have NEVER gotten past this level without the No Clipping cheat)

Most frustrating? Hrm... it would easily be MAP24. Late in the game, Hell is now desperate enough to stop you that they turn all the pathways anorexic enough to where you can easily fall into an inescapable toxic pit. All of this taking place while imps and crunchberries are having an absolute blast firing projectiles at you.

Tricks and Traps was a fun map, fun enough that I forgot to save my first time through it. That little "surprise" at the ending fucked me over.

map24 prolly takes the cake there yep.
map08 isn't quite frustrating--more fun and quarky than anything else. But it can take many attempts to beat it from a pistol start.
Map13 is pretty frustrating from a pistol start.
map28 is one of my fave doom 2 maps.
map30 is pretty darn frustrating and might trump 24.

None. Every level is easy to finish. In my first play through it was also very easy for me... and I liked it.

A lot of the maps are pretty shitty from a pistol start save for the ones john romero made.

map 24 hands down

I always liked barrels o fun for some reason (and I once was able to blow up the barrels well standing near the start and not die)

Before I became better with movement (essentially before starting using the mouse), the maps with D_DEAD (10, 16) were the most annoying and frustrating, probably because of the multitude of revenants. Also, MAP16 was/is fugly.

Now I find MAP10 awesome, probably the best in the IWAD, and MAP16 real fun to play. Instead, I find MAP22 to be stupid and imbalanced for a pistol start.

I've never had problems with MAP24. I always found cool that the main character can move on thin ledges without tripping, slipping or losing balance, and I never used the unstable mouse for those places. And the level design looks maze-like and full of secrets, so why bash it?

printz said:

I've never had problems with MAP24. I always found cool that the main character can move on thin ledges without tripping, slipping or losing balance, and I never used the unstable mouse for those places. And the level design looks maze-like and full of secrets, so why bash it?

because I couldn't stay on the ledges when I was younger

I particularly like almost all the levels of Doom II, but I do remember getting tired of play Monster Condo. There was another level, but I can't remember what it was. It was a hellish level, I believe it had several SpiderMMs in it with an army of Arachnotrons. It had a cool song, though. d_tense I think it was called.

PRIMEVAL said:

I particularly like almost all the levels of Doom II, but I do remember getting tired of play Monster Condo. There was another level, but I can't remember what it was. It was a hellish level, I believe it had several SpiderMMs in it with an army of Arachnotrons. It had a cool song, though. d_tense I think it was called.

I think that's map28, "The Spirit World".

Love all of DoomII's maps, though I think Map22 is a little bit harsh when you teleport from the secret niche in the starting room onto the platform with the chain gunners.

EvilNed said:

No Doom II map has ever really frustrated me. I think they're all great.

Pretty much this.

Except maybe for when I was 6 years old!

Spleen said:

I think that's map28, "The Spirit World".

Yeah, I think that might be it. I can never find a way out of the main area and into the last room. Gets a little irritating after awhile lol.

the chasm, for the nth time. and everything resembling it, i can't stand any map or game where you can fall to death at every step (half-life final maps anyone)

It's only in the final room of the Chasm where you can fall into an inescapable pit. That's only really annoying from the point of doing full-game recordings. Otherwise, it's a good and enjoyable map, and with a flavour that makes it very different from most other levels.

Map28 (Spirit World) is one of the easiest maps in the whole game (even on Nightmare). Not sure what the problem people are having with that might be. There are some wall textures you need to shoot; maybe that's it? Anyway, an easy way to get some ideas on how to handle these maps is to watch some demos, such as those at compet-n.

Suburbs - This level was like the Doldrums for me. The music didn't help.

Crusher - Easy map, but I just hate the overrall design of it.

Tricks and Traps - Pretty easy though. And awsomely fun.

Icon of Sin - Only frustrating when Arch-Viles begin to spawn, or when there are excessive amounts of Cacos or Souls.

GhostlyDeath said:

None, all the levels are super easy and simple to beat.

Well, SORRY then

Map09, probably. I mean, Map21 is my least favorite (obvious), but it isn't exactly frustrating. I don't know why, but I can never seem to use my ammo properly on that map.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, though: I don't understand all the threads related to Doom 2 that are complaint-driven.

Map10 is always tricky for me - if you don't approach the level in just the right way, you alert just about everything in the "courtyard" near the beginning and cause a huge Pain Elemental pileup. Beating the Cyberdemon at the end either comes down to dumb luck (he teleports away at just the right moment) or you managing to get the Invuln sphere and enough ammo to quickly take him down, assuming of course he doesn't randomly teleport away too many times).

It's marginally easier if you play with a mod that has a silent weapon in it, but not by much.

The trick to not let the Pain Elementals get out of hand is just to stay out of their field of vision unless you're firing at them. That way, they don't release any lost souls.