Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EagleDoom

Certain mods I'm trying to play don't have .BAT files!

You usually launch it from the command line, using the -file parameter. For example: zdoom -file superawesomemod.wad (It might be named .pk3 instead, but you should get the idea)

Yeah, since 1993, loading doom mods has usually simply been using the "-file" switch.

Nowadays, most mods run with Doom2.wad, but find out which IWAD it needs in the readme. And find out the specific engine, vanilla, Boom, etc. in the readme as well.

Complicated mods sometimes have multiple files you need to load, sometimes in a specific order, but it's usually just one .wad or .pk3 file.

Okay, I must be doing something wrong. I entered two different command lines:

doom -escape3.wad

doom -file escape3.wad

And nothing happens. The map I'm trying to play is in place of E1M3, or so it says in the readme file.

Ah, you can use the -warp paramter to jump to a specific level.
doom -file escape3.wad -warp 1 3

(For Doom2, there's no space in the map number, so if a map replaces, eg, MAP07, it'd be "-warp 07")

The correct command line would be the latter:
doom -file escape3.wad

OK, so what happens when you just type...

doom

Does it work OK (i.e. Doom runs)? If not, the problem is not in loading the wad. In that case you may need to use Dosbox (or a port, of course).

If it does work OK in that case, then check that the wad has been unzipped into the same directory as doom.wad and doom.exe.

And when you say "nothing happens", do you mean that literally, or does something happen, just not what you hoped would happen?

EagleDoom said:

Okay, I must be doing something wrong. I entered two different command lines:

doom -escape3.wad

doom -file escape3.wad

And nothing happens. The map I'm trying to play is in place of E1M3, or so it says in the readme file.

If you mean this escape.wad, you can also try following the author's instructions - they work.