Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Corridor 7: Alien Invasion TC

Hello, I don't mean to be an arsehole and bump this thread, I am new to this forum and registered an account here by way of my Twitter account, but I have seen and read much of this thread multiple times over the past several years already. 

As a brief introduction and preface, I'm a Corridor 7 fan (it's actually my first FPS game as a child) as well as a Wolf3d fan, Blake Stone fan, and RoTT fan (especially Blake) and also a big fan of Doom and the Doom engine games and mods (and mixing them up like chemicals in a science experiment). I've always honestly been yearning and hankering for more genuine new content related to both C7 and both of Blake Stone's games, both official and fan mods, (as well as official new content for Doom engine games like Heretic/Hexen and Strife, most especially the latter).  

And for starters, I constantly play GZDoom and on the side Zandronum exclusively in single-player (which are honestly about the only stuff I actually play nowadays besides old Boomer Shooters on DosBox/Boxer atm), I've been wanting to play the C7 TC again for a long time (the last time I did was on a PC laptop about five years ago, but for some reason can't get it to run anymore), but unfortunately I've been informed time and time again that this mod itself is only compatible with JDoom (which I do not have unless DoomsDay Engine nor exactly know how to run on my own). That is until I saw the comments from the uploader of this video: 

Replicore claimed in his comments that he actually got the C7 TC itself to run on both GZDoom and Zandronum, but the dude never bothered to elaborate nor explain how he was even able to do that, when this mod is apparently only JDoom-compatible or so I've been told. So can the C7 TC wad really work on GZDoom or Zandronum or is there some other version that's compatible with them, I came to this forum to ask the OP Vermil, where can I find one that's compatible with both GZDoom or Zandronum? 

And I am also searching for a wad that features the C7 aliens as monster replacements rather than just the C7 weapons and music themselves, Replicore said he found them years ago on ZDoom forums AND Moddb, but afaik they're currently nowhere to be found. I want to know if any wad compatible with GZDoom and Zandronum with C7 aliens exist in a stand-alone mod or not. 

So I am in serious need of help here! Thanks. Pleasure to see you all here for the first time. Peace!

Hi.

Thank you for the interest in my old TC.

I’m afraid I have never personally ported it to ZDoom and have never heard of a ZDoom port of it (though I was absent from the Doom community a couple of times). I think the TC probably shows it age, as is, compared to modern Doom mods.

I am honored though if someone has actually ported my mod to another port.

I suppose a little Doomsday history; Dday 1.8.6 probably remains the most moddable version of Dday to a user, in terms of what Doomers consider modding.

A couple of small additions were made to Dday’s XG modding features in the early 1.9 betas, but a couple of XG modding features were also disabled at the same time (along with a couple of other features), pending plans to implement a system not unlike modern GZDoom’s Zscript and co-incidentally, also referred to as Doomsday script by Skyjake.

Following the 1.9 betas Skyjake focused on other areas of the Dday engine than user facing modding features, though many of them would make modding features easier to implement in future and make Doomsday script even more powerful;  Skyjake planned to use it to turn the engine into a generic 2.5d engine theoretically capable of supporting any 2.5d game, including Doom. Other Doom ports, such as GZDoom, have taken a side-step to sort of achieve this with the likes of Raze and ECWolf.

Some elements of this have been implemented in recent versions of Dday, perhaps most notably in its newer model features (MD5 support, skeletal animation etc), which, as is my understanding (as I've never made models for any Doom port), allow one to script custom animations completely independently of the underlying state a mobj, weapon etc, may be in. Theoretically meaning no sudden jumps in animation any more (to stay with what it brings to Doom engine games, as support for other 2.5d games hasn’t happened yet). 

Dday’s model features are much more powerful than any other Doom port to this day, as a result, just nobody has publically released a model pack that actually uses these features though. Probably due to…

Skyjake has been largely absent from the Doom community for a couple of years now, probably due to him and his wife having a child a few years ago (Skyjake himself posted about on the Dday website, so I don’t think it’s giving away private information).

Dday 1.8.6 (and as a result Corr7TC) still works flawlessly for me personally, to this day on modern Windows (it's impressive that 15+ year old software still works on modern windows), but more modern WIP releases of Dday, unfortunately no longer do.

Edited by Vermil

On 11/19/2022 at 3:56 PM, Vermil said:

Hi.

Thank you for the interest in my old TC.

I’m afraid I have never personally ported it to ZDoom and have never heard of a ZDoom port of it (though I was absent from the Doom community a couple of times). I think the TC probably shows it age, as is, compared to modern Doom mods.

I am honored though if someone has actually ported my mod to another port.

I suppose a little Doomsday history; Dday 1.8.6 probably remains the most moddable version of Dday to a user, in terms of what Doomers consider modding.

A couple of small additions were made to Dday’s XG modding features in the early 1.9 betas, but a couple of XG modding features were also disabled at the same time (along with a couple of other features), pending plans to implement a system not unlike modern GZDoom’s Zscript and co-incidentally, also referred to as Doomsday script by Skyjake.

Following the 1.9 betas Skyjake focused on other areas of the Dday engine than user facing modding features, though many of them would make modding features easier to implement in future and make Doomsday script even more powerful;  Skyjake planned to use it to turn the engine into a generic 2.5d engine theoretically capable of supporting any 2.5d game, including Doom. Other Doom ports, such as GZDoom, have taken a side-step to sort of achieve this with the likes of Raze and ECWolf.

Some elements of this have been implemented in recent versions of Dday, perhaps most notably in its newer model features (MD5 support, skeletal animation etc), which, as is my understanding (as I've never made models for any Doom port), allow one to script custom animations completely independently of the underlying state a mobj, weapon etc, may be in. Theoretically meaning no sudden jumps in animation any more (to stay with what it brings to Doom engine games, as support for other 2.5d games hasn’t happened yet). 

Dday’s model features are much more powerful than any other Doom port to this day, as a result, just nobody has publically released a model pack that actually uses these features though. Probably due to…

Skyjake has been largely absent from the Doom community for a couple of years now, probably due to him and his wife having a child a few years ago (Skyjake himself posted about on the Dday website, so I don’t think it’s giving away private information).

Dday 1.8.6 (and as a result Corr7TC) still works flawlessly for me personally, to this day on modern Windows (it's impressive that 15+ year old software still works on modern windows), but more modern WIP releases of Dday, unfortunately no longer do.

Welp, now what do I do?

4 hours ago, SealSpace said:

Welp, now what do I do?

I'm going to take a crack at converting this Doomsday resource stuff to GZDoom. I dont know squat about doomsday but I'm good with ZDoom and Vanilla Doom assets. What I've found so far seems like everything necessary to build a conversion. I'll try my best and see what happens. 

--- Took me 5 minutes to find everything and another 5 that I don't have the experience with C7 in order to replicate the necessary puzzle pieces together at least without a lot of work involved. Unfortunately its not something that could be quickly done with just code conversion from the looks of it. 

What I can tell you is that the download itself, the second link does contain the entire DDay TC in it with a standalone runner with the right DDay as well. So you can still play it very easily. :) 

Edited by kalensar : updating

18 hours ago, kalensar said:

I'm going to take a crack at converting this Doomsday resource stuff to GZDoom. I dont know squat about doomsday but I'm good with ZDoom and Vanilla Doom assets. What I've found so far seems like everything necessary to build a conversion. I'll try my best and see what happens. 

--- Took me 5 minutes to find everything and another 5 that I don't have the experience with C7 in order to replicate the necessary puzzle pieces together at least without a lot of work involved. Unfortunately its not something that could be quickly done with just code conversion from the looks of it. 

What I can tell you is that the download itself, the second link does contain the entire DDay TC in it with a standalone runner with the right DDay as well. So you can still play it very easily. :) 

Alright thanks a bunch bruh. Here's hoping that you succeed in converting C7 TC from DDay to GZDoom, because I'm honestly skeptical as to how well the dude's claim in the video I posted that he was able to run it on GZDoom holds up. 

I don't even know how to operate the damn DoomsDay Engine myself. GZDoom and Zandronum are the only Doom sourceports I have any experience with in loading stuff in. 

10 hours ago, Vermil said:

That video isn't showing a Corr7TC, rather an alternative mod, that can be downloaded from here: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/c7rc

The instructions for running Corr7TC on the version of Dday included are in the first post of this thread.

So he used the C7RC wad? Is that how he got it running? So maybe I was confusing your TC with the wad that includes graphics and sounds from C7? 

Well color me shocked. Why didn't I found out about this sooner? Guess I'll still have to wait on how well Kalensar's attempt to convert your TC into a GZDoom-compatible version ends up transpiring. 

On 11/22/2022 at 5:11 AM, kalensar said:

So how's the attempt coming along?

15 minutes ago, SealSpace said:

So how's the attempt coming along?

The second paragraph in my prior response says it all. I dont have the time or experience in order to convert this. This comes down to that I am below NOOB status concerning Corridor 7, and Doomsday is not my Forte either.

The C7 DDay TC is complex. Its basically the entire game. I tore it apart to see what would and wouldnt work, and basically the gist is that YES the MAPS do work BUT are broken due to DDay coding not being similar to ZDoom languages. So you get missing sprites and decorations everywhere when in a ZDoom engine. Basically I don't have the time to sit down and learn a language, aka DDay defs, in order in order to translate it over to ZDoom. DDay is not an engine I even play because it frankly hates my computer. LMAO.

My forte is ZDoom and also to very decent extent Doom Engine itself, but that is not enough to translate this over properly, due to the complexity, completely between the source ports. 

5 minutes ago, kalensar said:

The second paragraph in my prior response says it all. I dont have the time or experience in order to convert this. This comes down to that I am below NOOB status concerning Corridor 7, and Doomsday is not my Forte either.

The C7 DDay TC is complex. Its basically the entire game. I tore it apart to see what would and wouldnt work, and basically the gist is that YES the MAPS do work BUT are broken due to DDay coding not being similar to ZDoom languages. So you get missing sprites and decorations everywhere when in a ZDoom engine. Basically I don't have the time to sit down and learn a language, aka DDay defs, in order in order to translate it over to ZDoom. DDay is not an engine I even play because it frankly hates my computer. LMAO.

Well I guess we shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves.

Damn it. I guess I'll have to stick to learning how to run and operate the damn Doomsday Engine sometime if I ever feel like it lol.

Oh well, you tried your best. So thanks anyway.

Thanks for this awesome TC. I only registered here recently though I've been looking at this thread for quite a while. This TC is excellent and brings back memories.

The main problem I'm having is that the game is prone to crash especially at later levels, and it seems to happen a lot more often when XG-based doors (health chambers, alien doors, electric fences, etc.) are involved. Keeping savegames at the end of the level rather than the beginning does help with mitigating the crashes.

On the other hand, I don't know if there's a good way to improve the game's overall brightness somehow, as compared to the original Corr7 game this TC feels too dark. The default night vision option prevents use of other weapons, so a better workaround is to use "give g" (light amplification goggles) instead. While "give g" only lasts about 120 seconds after activation, at least I could use my weapons during its effect. It's even possible to bind this into a key so I can toggle and reactivate light whenever needed.

By the way... I once tried loading the TC data files with vanilla Doomsday Engine 1.9.x and 2.x before, but could not get everything working. I'm new to this engine so I'm not sure what configuration might be needed for this use case. I wonder if this is possible, and to how much extent the XG code needs to be changed for working with newer versions...

Thank you for enjoying my TC.

As I stated earlier in the thread, the TC is 99.9% done via ded, except for one or two things that were backported from additional ded features implemented in the early 1.9 betas. I added these to Dday 1.8.6 with a couple of crude single sentence source code changes rather than professionally backporting them into ded etc; I'm not a coder.

They were the disabling of monster infighting (a ded level mobj flag was added to ded in the 1.9 betas) and the making the chaingun firing action use a different fire sound to the pistol IIRC.

As such the TC would be 99.9% compatible with versions of Dday beyond 1.8.6, as is, were it not for the fact that Dday's developers also disabled a couple of features of XG in the early 1.9 betas, in preparation for adding new non-XG features; a new map format for instance; modern Dday gained a new map format long before UDMF was a thing.

But, apart from the allowing of maps with limitless linedefs, sectors etc, the new features the new map format allowed was never really opened to users, like they were with UDMF. Dday's developers also never re-implemented the disabled XG features, due to becoming focused on other areas of the engine than Doom modding.

Edited by Vermil

5 hours ago, Vermil said:

As I stated earlier in the thread, the TC is 99.9% done via ded, except for one or two things that were backported from additional ded features implemented in the early 1.9 betas. I added these to Dday 1.8.6 with a couple of crude single sentence source code changes rather than professionally backporting them into ded etc; I'm not a coder.

They were the disabling of monster infighting (a ded level mobj flag was added to ded in the 1.9 betas) and the making the chaingun firing action use a different fire sound to the pistol IIRC.

As such the TC would be 99.9% compatible with versions of Dday beyond 1.8.6, as is, were it not for the fact that Dday's developers also disabled a couple of features of XG in the early 1.9 betas, in preparation for adding new non-XG features; a new map format for instance; modern Dday gained a new map format long before UDMF was a thing.

But, apart from the allowing of maps with limitless linedefs, sectors etc, the new features the new map format allowed was never really opened to users, like they were with UDMF. Dday's developers also never re-implemented the disabled XG features, due to becoming focused on other areas of the engine than Doom modding.

Monster infighting is completely disabled in this mod?

Then again infighting with monsters in Wolf3d engine games is a completely non-existent thing compared to Doom engine games and several other FPS games like Marathon, Blood, and Powerslave, since that concept didn't exist yet. 

But it would be cool to see what if C7 monsters were to infight with each other in the Hate Arena. 

8 hours ago, Vermil said:

Hmmm, so there were actually support for monster infighting. I'm curious how the proximity mines were implemented, and whether it's possible to make it explode and harm enemies, instead of just being mere traps. Back in original Corr7, especially on higher difficulty, mines were very essential in taking out big enemies that appear especially in earlier levels. Last time I tried luring the boss on Level 6 over a mine, and nothing happened when the boss did walk over it.

On the other hand, so the TC should in theory be mostly compatible with newer Dday versions? If so, maybe I should take a look regarding where the files should be placed now. Last time I tried loading the files in newer Dday versions and it did not work well. Menus (and console fonts) remain unchanged, and XG doors were not functioning. I think there might have been some changes to the directory layout so some files did not really get loaded...

On 11/30/2022 at 5:56 AM, SealSpace said:

Damn it. I guess I'll have to stick to learning how to run and operate the damn Doomsday Engine sometime if I ever feel like it lol.

Man, in order to play this TC you just need to unpack the files, copy your DOOM2.WAD within the "Data/Jdoom" folder, and then click on "LaunchCorr7TC.bat".

There's no need to learn how to operate Doomsday at all, it just runs on it, but it's automatic. Launch the batch and the game will work fine by itself.

Which finally brings me to something I'd wanted to do for a while now... 

THIS TOTAL CONVERSION IS COMPLETELY AWESOME, and the most badass way to experience Corridor 7 in the 2020s.

I discovered it some two or three months ago, when I was searching for news about another Corridor 7 project, and I've been playing it since then.

To be able to play that game with the features of modern engines, lighting, mouselook, etc, has been a complete blast!!!

So thank you Vermil for your amazing job!! It brought so many good memories back, and I'm really thankful for it!!!

12 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Man, in order to play this TC you just need to unpack the files, copy your DOOM2.WAD within the "Data/Jdoom" folder, and then click on "LaunchCorr7TC.bat".

There's no need to learn how to operate Doomsday at all, it just runs on it, but it's automatic. Launch the batch and the game will work fine by itself.

Which finally brings me to something I'd wanted to do for a while now... 

THIS TOTAL CONVERSION IS COMPLETELY AWESOME, and the most badass way to experience Corridor 7 in the 2020s.

I discovered it some two or three months ago, when I was searching for news about another Corridor 7 project, and I've been playing it since then.

To be able to play that game with the features of modern engines, lighting, mouselook, etc, has been a complete blast!!!

So thank you Vermil for your amazing job!! It brought so many good memories back, and I'm really thankful for it!!!

In my opinion Corridor 7 needs more new maps and at least a couple more real bosses (if not a few more new enemy types in general, like at least one actual projectile-chucking regular enemy for a Doom Imp replacement in a Doom TC lol). And a new stronger and more sentient version of the Alien Vortex as the true full-blown final boss of C7 that you actually fight in combat like the Icon of Sin and more. That would have been based and epic.

Same for Blake Stone imho. Except with more major bosses, sub-bosses, and regular enemies. One more ultimate weapon (that can instantly clear out rooms of regular enemies and at least significantly wound tougher bosses, and have rooms with huge chunks of enemies to complement that on some maps or sections thereof). A better and more weaponized Fission Detonator. As well as C7's armor, transparent walls, multiple ammo types, ammo packs and walls, possibly its own invulnernability sphere for brief respite against groups of harder hitscan enemies, and definite style of animdefs (both wall textures and doors). That would be even more based and epic.

On 12/22/2022 at 11:46 AM, LSS4 said:

On the other hand, I don't know if there's a good way to improve the game's overall brightness somehow, as compared to the original Corr7 game this TC feels too dark. The default night vision option prevents use of other weapons, so a better workaround is to use "give g" (light amplification goggles) instead. While "give g" only lasts about 120 seconds after activation, at least I could use my weapons during its effect. It's even possible to bind this into a key so I can toggle and reactivate light whenever needed.

Sorry, only just noticed this.

Corr7TC was designed to be dark, but if you wish to increase the general brightness of a maps sectors, Dday offers the 'ambient light level' option in the 'control panel' under the 'lights' tab.

It increases the light level of all of the maps sectors by the specified value.

Unfortunately, it only works on the map currently being played, so you have to set the value every time you switch map.

On 12/23/2022 at 4:06 AM, LSS4 said:

Hmmm, so there were actually support for monster infighting. I'm curious how the proximity mines were implemented, and whether it's possible to make it explode and harm enemies, instead of just being mere traps. Back in original Corr7, especially on higher difficulty, mines were very essential in taking out big enemies that appear especially in earlier levels. Last time I tried luring the boss on Level 6 over a mine, and nothing happened when the boss did walk over it.

On the other hand, so the TC should in theory be mostly compatible with newer Dday versions? If so, maybe I should take a look regarding where the files should be placed now. Last time I tried loading the files in newer Dday versions and it did not work well. Menus (and console fonts) remain unchanged, and XG doors were not functioning. I think there might have been some changes to the directory layout so some files did not really get loaded...

If you use the version of Dday 1.8.6 included with the TC, the aliens won't infight with each other. I bolted it on to the mf_shootable flag IIRC,  as I didn't know how to add an all new mobj flag, like how it was added in modern Dday (mf3_noinfight).

XG is partially disabled in modern Dday (at least up until the last version I could run), so alot of the TC's XG won't work in modern Dday.

Edited by Vermil

Hey, I'm not trying to necrobump, But I am having trouble trying to progress the first level, it says to open door by using cardslot but I have no card and I ain't got a clue what to do

edit: wait I figured it, out, turns out it I just needed to click the far side, my apologies