Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Corridor 7: Alien Invasion TC

"Corridor 7: Alien Invasion" was a game made by Capstone Software in 1994 using the same engine used to power ID Software’s Wolfenstein 3D.

Corr7TC aimed to "reimage" Corr7 on the Doom engine using the Doomsday source port, specifically a stand alone version of Doomsday v1.8.6.

The aim was to add more variety to and polish the original games game play, whilst keeping the spirit of the original game. I suppose it's a sort of a remake using the original games resources.

And here is the download link:
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/ZBt9DjTnNk/c7tcv12.zip

EDIT: 05/12/14
Crept in to this old thread to say that the above link is long dead and that the TC can now be downloaded from here:
http://www.wolfensteingoodies.com/doommodsandclones/w3dindoom2/w3dindoom2.htm

###CORR7TC INSTALLATION###

1. Unzip somewhere keeping folder paths intact.
2. Place your Doom2.wad (not supplied) in "Data/JDoom"
3. Run Corr7TC.bat (it runs JDoom.exe with a couple of suitable command line options)

###CORR7TC STUFF###

*All the single player maps including secret and death match maps from the Disk and CD versions of Corr7.
    *All the bad guys and weapons from the original Corr7, except the mines as I ran out of weapon slots (I personally never used them in Corr7 anyway and they seemed out of place in such an FPS.
    *All the Music from both the Disk version in midi format, courtesy of Adam Biser.
    *Reconstructed CD maps; Capstone evidently were aiming for a certain style with the original maps. But the end results were simply not that much fun to play. I have reconstructed (i.e. heavily modified) the maps in an attempt to improve their game play while still staying true to Capstone's idea for them.
    *Rebalanced bad guys and weapons to add some variety; in the original game most of the weapons and bad guys have such similar stats that they might as well have been the same bad guy or weapon.
    *Pretty much every feature of Corr7 is present in the TC in some way from ammo dispensers to health chambers.
    *Most levels have one or two of about 8-9 simple objectives inspired by Corr7's plot.
    *Lighting, dynamic lights and a bunch of other visual stuff Doom and Dday can do that the Corridor7 engine couldn't.
    *Customizable visuals; switch on/off lighting, coloured lighting and plane textures with the bank of switches on each map.
###SCREENSHOTS###

###MULIPLAYER###

Corr7TC comes with retooled versions of all eight of Corr7's death match maps; they can, unsurprisingly, be found on Map01-08. Map09 features a second version of DM Map 1 that is a bit closer to its, erm, "inspiration".

The original Corr7 supported up to 8 players and Dday 1.8.6 supports 16. However I don't think any of the maps are really large enough for more than 4 players. Like the original game, there is no Co-op in the TC.

###KNOWN ISSUE###

Certain Infine (on screen pop-up’s) intentionally take's keyboard control and mouse button control away from the player whilst being displayed. However they do not disable mouse movement or any button commands already being entered before the pop up appears, due to an oversight by Doomsday Engine's developers. This allows players to move around using the mouse, whilst these pop up's are being displayed, when they shouldn't.

Still this can't really be taken advantage of since one is not going to get far with their fire, use (open door's etc), strafe (side step) etc button's disabled.

###WHY STAND ALONE?###

Its stand alone, not because of heavy source modifications to Doomsday, but because it leans heavily on a small modding feature added in the 1.9 Betas of Doomsday. However the 1.9 Betas are, as of writing, in no state for running non Vanilla Doom mods on. Hence I had no choice but to back port the feature back to 1.8.6 and in the process make the mod stand alone. Which of course means the TC doesn't look quite as good as and lacks a couple of features it could have (1.8.6 is after all getting on in years now, both visually and feature wise).

Once the 1.9 betas become more suitable for mods, I might release a standard Doomsday mod version of Corr7TC.

###CORR7TC SLIDE SHOW PACK###

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/QphLmKVyI7/c7tccs12.zip

Crept in to this old thread to say that the above link is long dead and that the TC can now be downloaded from here:

Included in the above optional PK3 add on for Corr7TC, are slide shows made out of Corridor7: Alien Invasion's four cut scenes:

1. Spinning Capstone Logo when one starts the game
2. Introduction
3. Disk version ending
4. CD version ending

Bear in mind that these are extremely memory intensive; making a slideshow with the animation of a cut scene is, er "inappropriate" to say the least. But I decided to include them any way I could, out of completeness.

Too install, place the included PK3 in "Data/JDoom/Auto" where the main Corr7TC.PK3 is. Then run Corr7TC.bat as one normally would to start Corr7TC.

###CORR7TC MP3 MUSIC REMIX PACK###

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/EvFjvQK48y/c7tcmu12.zip

This optional add-on contains remixes of 11 Corr7 tracks by Alextheuser. These are proper remixes, not just the tracks with non synth samples. I've labelled it "v1.2" to remain consistent, even though in reality the add-on's, are not linked to any version of the TC.

Install instructions are the same as the Slide Show add-on.

I remember reading a short one line review of Corridor7 that just stuck with me ever since it read. "It got better graphics than Doom, but nowhere near the playability."

I never could understand what the reviewer meant. Better graphics? In what regard?

Anyway, GLHF with your project. :p

Off topic: the yellow aliens in the screenshots remind me of the Catacomb 3D series' trolls.

I really liked corridor 7 when I was younger, will definitely check this out

I like that dark screenie - quite creepy

This is actually pretty awesome.

Only problems I had was spontaneous combustion, where it seemed as if I'd stepped on a land mine without one being there and I just died.

I skipped around to check out stuff. Got a segmentation violation on map32. Like what you did with map31 though.

I thought having the mines be fully visible would make them too easy to see.

I'm afraid I can't reproduce a crash on Map32. The map works fine for me. Can you reproduce it, what were you doing?

This is very neat since I've never played the original Corridor 7 game before. Now all we need is a Blake Stone TC :P

Vermil said:

I thought having the mines be fully visible would make them too easy to see.

I'm afraid I can't reproduce a crash on Map32. The map works fine for me. Can you reproduce it, what were you doing?

Ok. I see. I went back to map01 and saw the mines this time, I just didn't expect to see them in the first room.

I was just running around collecting ammo on map32. I can't seem to make it happen again.

kristus said:

Better graphics? In what regard?

Maybe they like the cartoony sprites and the lack of height or angle variation

Vermil said:

And what do any of those have to do with the quality of the graphics?

this question does not deserve an answer

And yet you gave one anyway.

Corridor 7 scared the crap out of me when I was young. The sound of the monsters as they got closer and closer...

Nice conversion, brings back a lot of memories

Nice conversion. I didn't enjoy the original game much but this is good fun. Unfortunately, every time I quit, the game just hangs on a big white screen and I have to call up the task manager to kill it.

magicsofa said:

this question does not deserve an answer

Strictly speaking, neither of them got much or anything to do with graphics.
The height variation and angled walls are layouts. Though they of course add to the graphics when we're talking about this kind of limited engines.

But the cartoony sprites is a matter of design. Not graphics (Though in the case of Corridor7 the sprites design are more a result of the limited skill of the person creating the sprites.). Graphics limitations can direct the design in some ways. Like for example Quake2, where the low poly limits of models made it useful for the designers to create enemies that would make sense as blocky in their design.
But it's not == to graphics.

kristus said:

Strictly speaking, neither of them got much or anything to do with graphics.
The height variation and angled walls are layouts. Though they of course add to the graphics when we're talking about this kind of limited engines.

But the cartoony sprites is a matter of design. Not graphics (Though in the case of Corridor7 the sprites design are more a result of the limited skill of the person creating the sprites.). Graphics limitations can direct the design in some ways. Like for example Quake2, where the low poly limits of models made it useful for the designers to create enemies that would make sense as blocky in their design.
But it's not == to graphics.

I think you are missing the point. The reviewer is obviously not thinking along the lines of 3D rendering. And, strictly speaking:

graph·ics   n.

3. Computer Science
   a. (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The pictorial representation and manipulation of data, as used in computer-aided design and manufacture, in typesetting and the graphic arts, and in educational and recreational programs.
   b. (used with a sing. verb) The process by which a computer displays data pictorially.
So uhhh I don't know wtf you are talking about.

Why not, it supports what I said.

And yes I took that the reviewer had that position into consideration. Still, it really "does not compute" on any level. But it's possible the review simply did appreciate the art of Corridor 7 over Doom. But anyone who doesn't have a better eye than that shouldn't be working as a reviewer at a game magazine.

Corridor7's graphics are a different style to Doom's. Which style an individual prefers is of course open to debate.

As for the buffer overflow issue. May I ask that yourselves PM me your Doomsday.out files (located in "Run\JDoom")?

Is the error coming from Doomsday it'self? Does it say anything else?

@Tormentor667. Why aren't you running Corr7TC.bat as mentioned in the instructions? Though I don't believe it will make a difference with the overrun issue, the bat file launches Jdoom.exe with a couple of adjusted command line options.

Great TC, I too had the buffer overrun error at first but got rid of it when I just shortened the folder name, apparently its the same thing that doom64TC suffers from or something...

kristus said:

Why not, it supports what I said.

I thought it contradicts: It says that graphics are anything that appears on your screen, while you're talking about something more specific i.e. a graphics engine which renders to the screen

kevyt-maito said:

Great TC, I too had the buffer overrun error at first but got rid of it when I just shortened the folder name, apparently its the same thing that doom64TC suffers from or something...

Your close and gave me the clue nesscerry to find the cause. Thanks.

After speaking to Deng team, it appears that Dday 1.8.6, unknown to me previously, has a 256 character limit for folder paths (both absolute and relative). Which Deng team tell me will be removed for Dday 2.0.

Hence the fix for the overflow issue is to install Corr7TC somewhere where the folder path from the root of the drive (i.e c:\xxxx\Corr7TC) is no more than 256 characters.

This game seems absolutely intent on killing me in the cheapest ways possible.

Exhibit the first: the landmines. Why are there landmines directly in front of the player's starting position (Captain difficulty)? Why do said landmines instantly kill the player?

Exhibit the second: force doors. I had initially missed the "HINT" that appears when approaching one of them, so I did not know that I was supposed to press the card slot. However, it takes several tries to get said card slot to work, all the while I had to be pressed up against the door which deals damage to me. It took me long enough to figure out that, by the time the door finally gave way and let me in, I was down to 2% health.

So I finally managed to figure out how to use the computers and get to the first proper level, at which point I shot several floating eyeballs and then accidentally ran backwards into another landmine. God damn it. Was the original game this merciless?

Oh nice.

I never got the original game to run on my PC and later lost my copy of the game. It will be nice to finally get to try Corridor 7 =)

Vermil said:

Your close and gave me the clue nesscerry to find the cause. Thanks.

After speaking to Deng team, it appears that Dday 1.8.6, unknown to me previously, has a 256 character limit for folder paths (both absolute and relative). Which Deng team tell me will be removed for Dday 2.0.

Hence the fix for the overflow issue is to install Corr7TC somewhere where the folder path from the root of the drive (i.e c:\xxxx\Corr7TC) is no more than 256 characters.

OHH I get it...I was thinking "my folder is called C7 wtf?" but I realize its got the super-retarded "documents and settings/desktop/games/doom/blahblahblah"

thx, will try in the mornin