Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Corridor 7: Alien Invasion TC

I admit that I was on the fence about adding the land mines. They actually only appear a few times in the entire game.

I thought that having some in the start room (though they are hardly right on top of the player start as Wild Weasel states), would clue the player in early to their existence.

I also thought it would add to the atmosphere; "why is the main entrance of the base seemingly mined..."

But certainly, if I release an update to the TC, I suppose I'll make them easier to spot or maybe remove them completely. I haven't personally found or been told of any issues major enough to warrant an update yet.

Just tried it out and I'm liking it. got to the 3rd level on easy, I have to admit I did find it a bit hard though. but that's mostly because I'm playing with the keyboard only =)

Firstly, I've uploaded a new version of Corr7TC after finding an issue with Level2 that could render the map unfinishable. I also decided to remove the partial invisibilty from the land mines, so we'll see how that works.

Here's the new link, which I've also updated the first post with:
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/qKwyT_BTfH/corr7tcv101.zip

###Corr7TC Slide Show pack###

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/ORNe6Iu-9y/corr7tcslideshowpackv10.zip

Included in the above PK3 add on for Corr7TC, are slide shows made out of Corridor7: Alien Invasion's four cut scenes:

1. Spinning Capstone Logo when one starts the game
2. Introduction
3. Disk version ending
4. CD version ending

Bear in mind that these are extremely memory intensive; making a slideshow with the animation of a cut scene is, er "inappropriate" to say the least. But I decided to include them any way I could, out of completeness.

###INSTALLATION###

1. Place the included PK3 in "Data/JDoom/Auto" where the main Corr7TC.PK3 is.
2. Run Corr7TC.bat, as one normally would to start Corr7TC.

Vermil said:

Firstly, I've uploaded a new version of Corr7TC after finding an issue with Level2 that could render the map unfinishable.

Thank you since I got lost in level 2 the last time I played it.

Vermil said:

What do you mean?

You make a 4096x4096 square map which is a grid of 64x64 squares, and a control room (where the player is) which acts similar to a Wolfenstein-engine editor. You use it to change each tile to either empty space, a wall, a door, or anything similar. The only drawback is that you can't save such maps to the hard-disk.

Sorry for being this off-topic but I thought that if you made a Wolf-engine game and build it on a capable version of the Doom-engine, why not mention... Anyway probably it's not something you're planning, so ok. Also, the drawback.

kristus said:

I remember reading a short one line review of Corridor7 that just stuck with me ever since it read. "It got better graphics than Doom, but nowhere near the playability."

I never could understand what the reviewer meant. Better graphics? In what regard?

I don't think Corridor 7 even has floor/ceiling textures, although the graphics have a nice shading effect.

The monster sprites were higher-res, though. That might be it. Otherwise, I don't see anything in which the graphics were better. Screen resolution was not higher than Doom (320x200 too), no textures on floors and ceilings, level geometry less interesting aesthetically speaking because it's flat and orthogonal, no sprite rotations... The reviewer either loved Corridor 7's art style so much he was blind to the objective elements that gave the upper hand to Doom; or he was just using what he saw as a meaningless stock phrase to lessen the blow. ("Newer game == better graphics, right? So if it's published after Doom, it has better graphics. QED.")

Not to bash Corr7, with which I have no beef.

Gez said:

The monster sprites were higher-res...no sprite rotations...

Corr7's art is the same resolution as Doom and Wolf3D and feature rotations.

The TC is quite fun, although I did get lost on level 2 before...will get the update

Are you planning to include the infrared and night vision? The forcefields are of course visible in your version so that's ok, however there are some super dark parts and the visor is really needed for that :)

I forgot how difficult the original is. It seems you have made it a bit easier because in comparing to the original I realized that on captain difficulty the eyeballs can kill you really fast...

It was the traps that were completely invisible in the original game, (not the force fields) unless you were using the very limited energy visor in infrared mode, which heavily obscured your normal vision.

However because the original game gave you no hints that there were traps in an area (and hence no hint to turn on the visor), you basically had to blunder into the traps to realize that they were there.

I think it's an improvement that you can see the traps in Corr7TC, if you look a little.

In Corr7TC you have the night vision visor mode, by default bound to "9". Its infinite energy, but you can't carry a weapon at the same time.

This is due to a limitation of Dday 1.8.6's editing features; it's an actual "weapon". However I believe this an improvement over the original game so I didn't try to implement it another way. I envisage the player panicking if they run into an alien while they are using it.

As I stated in my first post, I wasn't aimming to completely mimic the original game.

Word...didn't realize the point of that weapon slot :)

The traps are now extremely obvious, I mean the one in the first level that is yellow...it's not a big deal but yea just wanted to mention

So, did anyone who played this TC a fair bit (was there anyone who did :p) think there were any major flaws (or bugs) with it?

I am intending to upload the TC to the archives (i.e. named v1.02 or some such) sometime in future and have made a few tiny tweaks since v1.01. Obviously, nothing is perfect, but I'd like to find out if there was anything people really didn't like about the TC, so I can try to fix it for the archive version.

Naturally taking into account that it is a TC based off the Wolf3D engine game Corridor 7: Alien Invasion.

Looking back, I personally would say the TC needed more difference in skill levels, hence why I have decided to remove the existing skill level differences (i.e. med kit's give more health on lower skills etc) for the archive version, in favour of the more traditional "different numbers of bad guys" on each skill.

On my pc, Doomsday crashes on level 4, when i press a screen in the north sector of the installation.

I also wrote about Dday 1.8.6's install path length limit, in the read me included with the TC.

I want to say thanks for this cool TC! I didn´t knew the original game back in the day, but wanted to try it some time ago just out of historical interest. But the orginal Corridor 7 didn´t run flawless on my computer (no sound). So I really enjoyed this remake. The improved graphics add a lot (to an otherwise quite flat level design). Things like coloured lightning even make the maze-like level parts more navigable, because it helps to tell areas apart.

One interesting detail, was the visor just like that in the original game? Because the effect on gameplay is very similar to the flashlight in Doom3: chose either weapon power or visibility.

That is freakin' awesome!

BTW, where did you find the MIDIs?

Coould you post the soundtrack? I've been looking for a good soundtrack, but with no luck. My favorite song in the original Corridor 7 and in the TC was level 6. I don't know what it was about that song. I just thought it sounded unique.

I've been playing this for a while now on and off and I really enjoy it. However, I went to download your slideshow file and it's no longer available... :(

PS: Have you considered giving Blake Stone the same treatment (one of my favourite games of all time!)? :)

Years and years ago I was wondering why not one had done this yet. I want to play through this. Hopefully it can be reuploaded somewhere.

Well, I was intending to upload v1.02 (i.e the final version assuing no major bugs are found) to the ID archives, but I kept getting sidetracked...

Vermil said:

Well, I was intending to upload v1.02 (i.e the final version assuing no major bugs are found) to the ID archives, but I kept getting sidetracked...

I look forward to it. :)

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/YEE-8TGvAn/corr7tcv11.zip
http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/FuvoeA2ezH/corr7tcslideshowpackv11.zip

The links in the first post have also been updated. Assuming no bugs are found, I'll upload it to the ID Games archives in the near future.

Notable Changes:

Shine Maps used to light up areas of several flats and textures that dynamic lights by themselves were ill suited to.

Pressing the fire key whilst the visor is active no longer alerts bad guys.

Certain doors on Level20 onward no longer crash Dday once in a blue moon.

Several weapons, bad guys and missions have received balancing tweaks. For instance Ttocs' now immediately return fire when shot, Rodex deal less damage and the Shotgun now has a pre-fire delay (like Doom's BFG).

Some small differences in number of bad guys on each skill; I decided that the previous differences between skills wern't enough by themselves.