Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

In vanilla Doom do monster fireballs open GR door type 46?

Hellbent said:

In vanilla Doom do monster fireballs open GR door type 46?

I don't think so.

Gez said:

I don't think so.

That's what I thought; but zdoom set to "doom" compatibility has monster projectiles opening type 46 GR open door stay open.

In fact, none of the projectiles -- monsters' or players' -- activate such doors. You can test that quickly in E1M2 with an IDKFA.

That's cause G_ linetypes are called from P_ShootSpecialLine(), which is only called (indirectly) by P_LineAttack(). And P_LineAttack is used to inflict hitscan damage.

ZDoom's behavior is not entirely faithful even with Doom compat. I think everybody knows that. I think pointing this out would be justified; though. At the very least, the "Doom (strict)" compat setting ought to make sure projectiles don't trigger gun lines.

(The problem is that ZDoom does not differentiate between impact types. It uses the same activation linedef flag for both "hit by hitscan" and "hit by projectiles". This is probably something inherited from Hexen, or maybe from Heretic, given how most Heretic and Hexen projectiles specifically have the ACTIVATEIMPACT flag removed from them.)

According to the Doom FAQ,

Bug fixes since v1.2:

- Now more than two people can play over a network without crashes.
        - No more PS/2 mouse bug (player loses control of character,
          character spins, game locks, etc.)
        - Saving a game under a open door, restoring it, then pressing
          space no longer causes the game to crash.
        - Sound code rewritten.
        - Serial game difficulty selection fixed in SETUP.EXE.
        - map bug fixes including two-sided linedef bug and faulty
          SKY1 ceiling texture mapping
        - gun projectiles (rockets, plasma, rockets) will no longer trigger
          linedefs
Was Heretic based on Doom v1.2?

printz said:

Was Heretic based on Doom v1.2?

Yes.

Then it seems that it uses two features apparently removed in Doom v1.2: projectile activators, and variable pitch sounds.

Seems really weird that the ability of plasma etc. to trigger shootable linedefs was thought of as a "bug" and "fixed." I would have expected it to be the other way around, that their inability to trigger them was an oversight that simply never got fixed because shootable linedefs are such a small part of the original Doom games.

jerrysheppy said:

Seems really weird that the ability of plasma etc. to trigger shootable linedefs was thought of as a "bug" and "fixed." I would have expected it to be the other way around, that their inability to trigger them was an oversight that simply never got fixed because shootable linedefs are such a small part of the original Doom games.

they prolly thought the linedefs were getting triggered too frequently; so they limited them to hitscan. There are actually more GR lines in the game than one might realize while playing.

Was it really possible to trigger a shootable wall with projectiles? I didn't notice. I have to check this out some time.

Anyways, I always thought the quoted bug was about projectiles triggering walkable lines, which in fact happened and is more likely to notice since there are much more walkable then shootable triggers in the game. This bug also includes projectiles from monsters. Due to their speed, lines aren't always triggered, but frequently enough.

Concerning the pitched sound effects, they didn't disable it before 1.4beta. In fact, the leaked 1.3 version was the first with the 8 channel mixer and it has the pitch effect even more intensive.

That 1.2 bugfix might actually be referring to walkover linedefs, not shootable ones.

Monsters are prevented from triggering walkovers, but projectiles weren't always. If I'm remembering correctly what I was told the last time I was in a discussion about this, even in Doom II 1.9 there's a monster projectile type or two that can trigger some walkover lines.

Like a lot of things in the original code, exceptions are hardcoded to types in the function, rather than flag-dependent. Makes it easier to overlook when adding new types...

Here's the source:

//
// P_CrossSpecialLine - TRIGGER
// Called every time a thing origin is about
//  to cross a line with a non 0 special.
//
void
P_CrossSpecialLine
( int		linenum,
  int		side,
  mobj_t*	thing )
{
    line_t*	line;
    int		ok;

line = &lines[linenum];

//	Triggers that other things can activate
    if (!thing->player)
    {
	// Things that should NOT trigger specials...
	switch(thing->type)
	{
	  case MT_ROCKET:
	  case MT_PLASMA:
	  case MT_BFG:
	  case MT_TROOPSHOT:
	  case MT_HEADSHOT:
	  case MT_BRUISERSHOT:
	    return;
	    break;

default: break;
	}

ok = 0;
	switch(line->special)
	{
	  case 39:	// TELEPORT TRIGGER
	  case 97:	// TELEPORT RETRIGGER
	  case 125:	// TELEPORT MONSTERONLY TRIGGER
	  case 126:	// TELEPORT MONSTERONLY RETRIGGER
	  case 4:	// RAISE DOOR
	  case 10:	// PLAT DOWN-WAIT-UP-STAY TRIGGER
	  case 88:	// PLAT DOWN-WAIT-UP-STAY RETRIGGER
	    ok = 1;
	    break;
	}
	if (!ok)
	    return;
    }
<snip rest of function with huge switch of walk-activated linedef types>
See what they did here? That's right! They forgot to add MT_ARACHPLAZ, MT_FATSHOT, MT_TRACER, MT_SMOKE, MT_SPAWNSHOT...

I never saw any Arach Plazma being teleported around or manipulating lifts, though...

printz said:

I never saw any Arach Plazma being teleported around or manipulating lifts, though...

It won't teleport AFAIK; but it *can* activate lifts.

That's mighty interesting. Are there any wads for Doom 2 with aplazma-sensitive security sequences?