Find results in...
Sigvatr

Community Project: ANNIHILATOR

EDIT: Update on Page 2
-----------------------------

A Quick Intro
I always keep on coming back to Doom a few times a year, but I can never complete any of the projects I set out to create because they are usually too ambitious. Things crop up from somewhere and I have to ditch a bunch of work because I can't dedicate very much time to my hobbies these days.

I found myself starting work on a new Doom wad a few days ago and realized that I probably could never finish it by myself. I maintain a bunch of websites, work night shifts full time, have a baby on the way and still try to find the time to develop my computer games, so creating a Doom wad is difficult for me.

However, instead of starting something awesome and ditching it in three weeks like I always do, I'm going to try something else. I'm going to enlist the support of the Doom community to help me finish an awesome wad and I can spend what free time I have for Doom on what I do best: making textures.

As some of you may or may not know, I pursue my time these days as an independent game developer doing absolutely everything by myself. Graphics, music, sound, coding in Standard C99, the whole thing. This takes a lot of time, but one thing I am both talented and efficient in is making graphics.

What I've Done So Far

Well, here are some shots, so judge for yourself.

All of these graphics took about 2 days work (and there's some other graphics I haven't shown too), and the better I get, the faster I get. I think I could knock out a complete floor and patch set within a month or two of completely new graphics that should be more than enough for a complete 32 level wad that uses none of the original Doom floors and patches.

So What's The Plan?

The plan is pretty simple. I'm going to make a completely new set of textures suitable for a 32 level wad and nicely ask the members of the forum to make the maps for me. If there's anything I hate, it's making maps, so it seems like such a waste for me to make a bunch of textures I am never going to use.

If you are interested in helping me, read on.

Division Of Labor

People have probably read my rants about this before, but I personally believe that Doom mappers waste a lot of time trying to make their maps look unique and pretty by filling them with hedonistic detail in geometry. The reason people do this is because we've been basically stuck with the same graphics to use since 1994 and there aren't very many people out there making good textures these days. If Doom mappers had more graphics to work with, they could stop wasting their time filling their maps with geometric detail and focus on what is important: good gameplay and atmosphere.

So, I want to emphasize the importance of good gameplay for the people who want to work on this community project. To address this directly, I would like it if we had two people working on each map. One person will create the map layout, choose a base texture, floor and ceiling for a room, place the enemies and items, choose the right level of lighting for rooms and areas and playtest it to make sure that it is fun. Basically, they would make a map that is somewhat less detailed than the '94 maps, but focuses on unique layouts and gameplay. The second person can be the detailer, and they can jump in there and do the fancy lighting tricks, add grass and foliage (I've got some special graphics for that), and generally make the map look awesome.

I'll let you guys sort out who your buddy is going to be (you can nominate one if you want) and choose how you want to work, but generally speaking I think one week is enough time to have a map done.

What Needs To Be Done
I am going to create the first level so people have a basic idea of the style of certain things we should strive for with the maps, but to begin with we should create the first 5 maps. That leaves 4 for you guys, so we need 8 people to step up and create them.

The first 5 maps are:

MAP01 - Substructure

MAP02 - Maintenance Tunnels

MAP03 - Cargo Bay

MAP04 - Centrifuge

MAP05 - Reactor Core

These 5 maps will form the first of 6 planned blocks, each with 5 levels. I've been working on some nice outdoors graphics with foliage and such, so I think it would be nice if we could have an outdoors, trench warfare/siege style block after the first one. From there on in, I think a space ship block would be nice, and then the usual hell blocks (with new graphics of course).

Closing
I have a few more graphics to get done before I release the complete wad of textures that will be used in the first block, so I'll be back in a day or two with those. Each level will need some new graphics that the ones before it didn't have, so I will have the patches and floors named appropriately so people know what they should use.

Hope that you guys are interested, I will be back shortly!

AAARRRRGGHHH!!!!! Looks awesome!!!! I love the military look of those zombie men. I'll definetely like to make a map or two for this!!!!!!

Are you going to make graphics for a hellish section as well?

And.... I've got university exams starting in a weeks time, so I won't be able to make maps for a while, but once that's all done I can make a contribution if that's fine with you?

Yup. There will be a hell section too.

I hope you guys will be all set to get started in a few days, please choose your maps and buddy up soon.

Those textures look really cool and if it weren't for the fact I suck at making base themed maps I'd sign up. Hopefully there'll be spots in the later eps, heh.

I love the textures dude. I may be able to help with the maps, but I would need to see map 1 first so I know what detail level you want and that sort of thing. Were you thinking of adding custom monsters or items too?

I don't think any custom monsters or items are necessary. I really like the classic Doom formula.

In terms of detail, one thing I would like to emphasize is how important the floor is to the player's movement, so I think lots of small 8 pixel elevation changes all over the place should be avoided so the floor is easy to move around on. The ceiling can be detailed though.

Generally speaking I don't think detail precision should ever go lower than 8 pixels, it just looks ugly and catches you when you move.

Once I have more textures done though, you probably won't need to add too much detail.

Generally speaking the most detailed thing should probably be the lighting I think.

Excellent. I am definitely on board then. Insane detail just isn't necessary in doom IMO. Even though I do enjoy DV-II and Tormentor 667's stuff. I think the green tint to the clothing is cool for the monsters. Maybe add green tints to all the monsters since that seems to be your color scheme.

This looks very cool indeed! I would sign up but I am currently occupied with a few of my own projects, but after I am finished and if this kicks off nicely I'll happily join in and contribute. I would most likely be interested in level layout as I am to perfectionist to only devote a week to detailing work :P

By the way is this going to be limit removing? Can we use slopes and bridges and what not? Have fun everyone!

hmmm... I sense some textures for UAC Ultra 2...

EDIT: Welcome back :D

This looks great! Too bad I'm not a mapper. However, I can offer some music, but I can't do too much as I now have a lot on my plate between school, work, and various music projects. But this looks really good, I like the idea.

Alright! Count me in!

EDiT: I maybe beating a dead horse, but this thread has a lot of textures that have a military styling to them, particularly the camo stuff, tarped crates, and browngrn textures, although your textures look much more gritty, you'll have to scratch them up to make them look good with the rest of your textures. I made some of them and you are more than welcome to snag em. I think they'd fit in real well!

Sigvatr, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Didn't you have a site with a texture-making tutorial? It was awesome.

Not to mention these textures look awesome.

But no, I don't map.

I would like to sign up as well, for mapping and maybe music (if you need any).

Ok, well I just realized that I can get map work done between my exams, without failing. Heh.

I'd like to sign up for MAP05 - Reactor Core if that's cool with you.

Anyone that wants to "co-op" with me? Aldaria or Darkreaver or anyone? I don't mind sharing with more than one person. :) Let me know. The way I'd like to do it though, is for me to build some sections and make them play as well as possible and detail them how I'd like, and then I'll send off to the next person who can add on sections and "refine" my sections, and add traps, if they want to, and then they can send it to the next person or whatever (if there are 3 mappers ofcourse), or the other way around. So basically we each design part of the map as opposed to assigned jobs.

I can't resist the chance to work with awesome textures like this.

I would like possession of MAP02, as long as it's Vanilla or Boom, and I get a WAD to use textures on.

Just PM me, threads get lost track of.

Sigvatr said:

Generally speaking I don't think detail precision should ever go lower than 8 pixels, it just looks ugly and catches you when you move.

I respectfully disagree. 4px borders, particularly along raised ceiling compartments, can look pretty fantastic with the right textures. (Often shawn2/flat23, or sometimes metal or ceil5_1 depending on the context.)

Not that I'm saying you need to do that, but the lower grid sizes definitely have legitimate uses :)

Also, I think the bright yellow-orangey caution stripes on the green metal textures could use some antialiasing between the pixels of dark grit and the yellow surrounding them; the texture looks a bit unfinished to me as-is.

I think this has a good chance of being successful.
The screenshots have a good look to them.

Esselfortium said:

Not that I'm saying you need to do that, but the lower grid sizes definitely have legitimate uses :)

I agree with this, I like having the flexibility of 4unit detailing textures. While only miniscule detailing is redundant, they can contribute quite nicely to a sufficiently sized detailing. It's the one or two-unit sized textures you want to stay away from. :P

I would like to help out with this project but for the time being, I've got quite a lot on my hands. If this will be a long term project, I'd be happy to contribute a map or two; the textures look quite interesting to use.

And I'd like to add my two cents with the textures, maybe also come up with one more color texture that compliments the green color... kinda like how the stock metal textures compliment the stock marble textures in Doom2.

I say 2 cents, because this is probably something you've already done. :).

I kinda like the textures as they are. Granted if they were my own I would have done as Essel has suggested, but the high contrasting colors gives it a very arcade-y look to it. Are you mixing existing doom textures with this set or do you want this wad to use entirely your own textures? Would you like any help with textures? I've got some good ideas for support textures, middle textures and flats.

Also, can I call MAP01?

I'll take map 05

EDIT: How about the second to last block be a space-station overrun by hell. I think it would flow better than just having a space ship and then randomly be in hell.

I didn't know that we had to take a specific map... but as MAP04 seems to be the only one left, I'll take that one, as long as someone can explain what 'Centrifuge' means in this context.

k, we can share. Probably make for a better map anyway.

EDIT: Actually, I think sharing the boss map for each area would be a sweet idea. Then everyone can add some areas and detail similar to their solo maps and make some interesting endings to each episode. Anyway, since I missed doing a solo map for the first ep, could I take map 06?

I would love to map for this, although most has been taken. I think I would be down for both detailing and general layout though, so I guess if anyone has a preference and needs a partner shoot me a message.

Also I could do some music if you want :)

DoomHero85 said:

EDIT: Actually, I think sharing the boss map for each area would be a sweet idea. Then everyone can add some areas and detail similar to their solo maps and make some interesting endings to each episode. Anyway, since I missed doing a solo map for the first ep, could I take map 06?

Cool man, well, I'll start by making a few areas.... then I'll send it to you to refine and create new sections. Then we can keep doing so until it's finished and looks awesome, and plays well!

Sounds very interesting, but I simply dont have the time these days! I dont even have time for my own stuff. But maybe some of the later episodes!