Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archy

DOOM v1.9's screen resolution?

Recommended Posts

You mean DOOM.EXE's max screen resolution? 320x200

Share this post


Link to post

mov ax, something then int something.

btw, is the hicolor squashed mode still in the DOOM code?

Share this post


Link to post
_bruce_ said:

btw, is the hicolor squashed mode still in the DOOM code?

The what?

Share this post


Link to post
_bruce_ said:

btw, is the hicolor squashed mode still in the DOOM code?

Not since 1.2, from what I hear. Low Detail mode is all that remains of it.

Share this post


Link to post

I must have completely missed something here. What is this about a hi-color squashed mode? I've never heard of it.

Share this post


Link to post

I think he's talking about the 320x400 VGA hack mode. No idea if Doom ever supported it but I somehow doubt it.

Share this post


Link to post

I think it may be the purpose of some mysterious lumps in the alphas. 0.2 has VIEWINFO (3608 bytes) and HIGHBLIT (8099 bytes) lumps, 0.4 and 0.5 have COLORS12 and COLORS15 lumps (both 16384). The R key in 0.4 does some weird things with the colors.

Share this post


Link to post

I've never seen that working either. Since there are special lumps for hi-colors, it can't be just the 320x400 mode. It's probably not VESA either, so it must be some code for a specific hardware.

Share this post


Link to post

Yep - the 320x400, where the lower 200 lines remain black. Never got it to run properly. Switch - picture - as soon as I moved - crash.
Was in the version where you can chose the levels from 1 - 9 or something. I remember reading about it in an old mag where Jay Wilbur was rambling about the 32000 color mode and the possibility of being able to hit around 100 fps with a 486-1xx+VESA Local Bus in normal Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
_bruce_ said:

Yep - the 320x400, where the lower 200 lines remain black. Never got it to run properly. Switch - picture - as soon as I moved - crash.
Was in the version where you can chose the levels from 1 - 9 or something. I remember reading about it in an old mag where Jay Wilbur was rambling about the 32000 color mode and the possibility of being able to hit around 100 fps with a 486-1xx+VESA Local Bus in normal Doom.


Is that what the settings "Hi-Color DAC" and "Hires" in the options menu are for?

EDIT: When you mentioned VLB, I immediately thought of the cirrus logic card I used to have, maybe it was designed for these types of cards?

Share this post


Link to post
RTC_Marine said:

When you mentioned VLB, I immediately thought of the cirrus logic card I used to have, maybe it was designed for these types of cards?

I once had one of these. I don't remember if I tried the Doom alphas on it, though. I possibly sold it before I found them on a showelware CD.

Share this post


Link to post

Ahh Doom...always ahead of its time ;-)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×