Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MSPaintR0cks

What am I doing wrong? (Textures)

Okay, this question is ubernoobish, but I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I have done this many times, but for some reason it doesn`t seem to work anymore:
I want to import a wall texture into my wad in XWE. I doubleclick "Patches", search for the BMP file in my texture directory and let XWE do the rest. Everything seems fine until now. But the new texture never appears in Doom Builder (in the texture selection screen). As I already said, I have done this many times before and I have no idea what I am suddenly doing wrong.

The texture size is 64x128, a typical size for doom textures.
Are there any restrictions that I unknowingly exceeded?

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently, the doubleclicking of "patches" made for automatic addition to the textures.

Well. Upload your wad so we can see what is wrong. But I'm betting that it's not in the textures lump.

Or maybe you managed to make a duplicate entry. That can easily happen if you use longer patch names than 8 characters.

For instance if you got Mossywall1 and Mossywall2 they will both be added to the wad with the name MOSSYWAL

Today I took a look at this problem again.
I used new textures with a different name now, and it for some reason they showed up again in Doom Builder so I could use them.

Now, sadly there is a new problem. Whenever I want to start my project with the old PrBoom source port (the first one that also runs with DOS), I get this message:

"R_TextureNumForName: SW1BRCOM not found"

In Zdoom however, it works without any problems.
I would be very thankful if someone could tell me what this actually means.

prBoom doesn't run in DOS, did you mean Boom?

In your case "R_TextureNumForName: SW1BRCOM not found" probably means SW1BRCOM is missing from the TEXTURE1 lump in your WAD. Or your WAD is in Doom Builder's "ZDoom (* in Hexen)" format. Link to the WAD if you want a definite answer.

The TEXTURE1 and the PNAMES lumps in your WAD are not complete. They include only the new entries. You need to use the complete TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps from the IWAD and add your new entries to them.

ZDoom (and some other ports) treats texture lumps as additive (read them all), so only the new entries are needed. Vanilla and most ports, on the other hand, only loads one TEXTURE1 and one TEXTURE2 lumps, so the entire content of the IWAD's version has to be duplicated.

When modding for Doom 2 it's often handy to use the TEXTURE2 lump because there are no such lump in the Doom2 IWAD. So just rename your TEXTURE1 into TEXTURE2 and it'll work fine in PrBoom.

Renaming TEXTURE1 to TEXTURE2 won't work, if only because the PNAMES is also incomplete. In fact, the result is a generic crash (signal 11). The only way to make sure the new textures and patches work in vanilla and Boom-bases ports is to include all the original entries of TEXTURE1 and PNAMES in the new lumps.