Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InvertCube

Submitting

Recommended Posts

How do I submit a Doom wad file to doomworld.com?
And what rules are there for the readme and txt files? Or where can I find them?
This in formation is need because I am new to posting wads on doomworld.com
Thank You

Share this post


Link to post

To submit a WAD file to /igames, open your command line and do the following commands:

ftp archives.gamers.org
username: anonymous
password:(put your email here)
cd /pub/idgames/incoming/bin
put (ZIP file)
put (text file)
quit

There ya have it!

Share this post


Link to post

And once again, my question on Doom 2 in a Nutshell's concealing stands.

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

And once again, my question on Doom 2 in a Nutshell's concealing stands.

Hey you know about our project, That's awesome! We have finished the first 11 levels and we started on the next 10 set of levels. We just need to learn how to post what we've done.

Patrick said:

To submit a WAD file to /igames, open your command line and do the following commands:

ftp archives.gamers.org
username: anonymous
password:(put your email here)
cd /pub/idgames/incoming/bin
put (ZIP file)
put (text file)
quit

There ya have it!

It's cool that you answered our question Patrick, but we don't understand what any of that means. Speak as if to an idiot please.

Share this post


Link to post

Gahh, damn kids, not knowing what a command line is...

Ok, if you're using Windows XP -
Go to the start menu.
Click on 'run'
in the field type in CMD, press ok.
A little black window will appear.
In this window, type the following command: ftp archives.gamers.org
Then, a message will come up saying "username", type in 'anonymous'
It will do the same thing again, but say 'password', simply provide your email address
After you have done this, type in the following command: cd /pub/idgames/incoming/bin

etc.

Share this post


Link to post
InvertCube said:

Hey you know about our project, That's awesome!

Yeah, and what I meant was that your thread posted here about that project simply doesn't exist any more; it appears it was zapped completely. Only a ghost entry appears when I click "search" below your post. Either that or it was moved elsewhere, and that's not Post Hell.

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

Yeah, and what I meant was that your thread posted here about that project simply doesn't exist any more; it appears it was zapped completely. Only a ghost entry appears when I click "search" below your post. Either that or it was moved elsewhere, and that's not Post Hell.

Oh yeah, we weren't sure that even posted, apparently it did. We have our project on Wads in Progress but there we can't update the description for some reason, however we can still update the status in comments.

Patrick said:

Gahh, damn kids, not knowing what a command line is...

Ok, if you're using Windows XP -
Go to the start menu.
Click on 'run'
in the field type in CMD, press ok.
A little black window will appear.
In this window, type the following command: ftp archives.gamers.org
Then, a message will come up saying "username", type in 'anonymous'
It will do the same thing again, but say 'password', simply provide your email address
After you have done this, type in the following command: cd /pub/idgames/incoming/bin

etc.

Ok that was helpful, we got to the password part but then it wouldn't let me type at all. Maybe since I'm using Vista it's different? or not. Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post

No text will show up when you enter those, but it is being entered. That is normal.

If you're still not sure, you can use an FTP client. Or PM someone on this board, they might be able to uppload it for you.

Share this post


Link to post

Ok we think we have gotten the idea about how to upload to /idgames but we realized that in the rules in says not to submit incomplete megawads. We have a solution though. We are busy right now, but for anyone who is interested in a few hours we will post our project, Doom 2 in a Nutshell, using rapidshare and we will post the link to download it on Wads in Progress at http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=listwads&wad=1363
We will also create a new forum thread on our project so more people can find out about it.
Thanks everyone for your help it was useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Patrick said:

Gahh, damn kids, not knowing what a command line is...

Why don't you just an explorer window or Internet Explorer window and go to ftp://anonymous:<e-mail here>@archives.gamers.org/pub/idgames/incoming/bin and drag and drop your files. If you're running Windows anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
InvertCube said:

Ok we think we have gotten the idea about how to upload to /idgames but we realized that in the rules in says not to submit incomplete megawads.

Just to clarify (as Ty Halderman, the guy in charge of the archive, has in the past when this has come up): the point is not to upload unfinished levels. If you have a bunch of finished maps of what is intended to be a larger project, then it is OK to upload it to the archive. This is especially the case if the levels make up a coherent whole (e.g. "the first episode") and it isn't clear if or when the whole project will be completed.

And for the gazillionth time, the Doom Community Archive is not run by Doomworld. It is not hosted at doomworld.com either. It is a separate entity completely - the primary site for uploads is here, and there are several mirror sites. Doomworld offers a neat database by which you can search the archive and get information about and download links for the files contained in it. Doomworld also has a fairly regular feature in which the files new to the archive are reviewed. The directory in which such files temporarily sit in the archive is /newstuff, from which the review feature takes its name, i.e. the /newstuff Chronicles.

The archive's rules (rather than an interpretation of them) are here. They also contain the archive maintainer's contact info in case you have any questions that aren't answered in the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Grazza said:

Doomworld offers a neat database by which you can search the archive and get information about and download links for the files contained in it.

While we're on the subject, can anyone please change the email on Doomworld's entry on Ash Cave to duckreconmajor at gmail dot com? Ty told me that the email was correct on the /idgames entry so it was just Doomworld mirror's entry that was not updated. I PM'd Linguica a couple months ago but got no response.

If not, is there a way it could be removed?

Thanks.

edit: To whoever fixed it, thank you very much!

Share this post


Link to post

And we're not submissive leathermen.

Share this post


Link to post
Patrick said:

cd /pub/idgames/incoming/bin

It's /pub/idgames/incoming, not /pub/idgames/incoming/bin. I think you meant to type this:

ftp archives.gamers.org
username: anonymous
password:(put your email here)
cd /pub/idgames/incoming/
binary
put (ZIP file)
ascii
put (text file)
quit

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×