Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doom-Child

externally reading the contents of a WAD

How do I do it? I tried opening the file as a text file, no dice. I tried it as a binary file, no dice.

Am I just interpreting the information wrong? The only intelligible bit of information was the IWAD/PWAD tag.

DC

You mean see how maps are in it and if it has new textures or sounds or music?

You'll want WinTex for that, it shows/plays all the entries in any way along with displaying any extra data it may have.

For quickly seeing what's in a PWAD/IWAD, just use "Open PWAD" from the File menu in DeePsea.

This shows ALL the levels, lump names and gives graphical, sound/wav and mus/mid feedback as one just clicks on each file name.

I just downloaded xwe, and I can see it there as well. What I'm asking is: How do I code something like that? Ideally, I'd like direct access to the internal workings of a WAD, but every time I open one, I get random garbage. It's bizzare.

DC

What, you expect all the images and data to show up in your text file? You'll get that garbage with any file that isn't a text file, that's how things are compiled.

You can do all your editing with XWE or Wintex.

No no no...I'm not trying to open it as a text file. I understand the difference in a binary file and a text file. But, even when I code it to open a binary file, I get that crap. What other base file formats are there? Is the WAD compressed?

I'm trying to open a WAD in a program I'm writing. I know about DeepSea and XWE.

DC

You do open the file as binary, but internally there's a "directory". So the 1st 4 bytes is IWAD or PWAD, then #dir entries[4], and offset pointer (4) to the start of the directory.

So what you do is seek to "offset" then read "number" times for the size of each dir entry (which is 16 each). Each dir entry is offset[4](to start of lump), size[4](of lump), Name[8](of lump).

That should be easy to do. Each type of lump has different internal formats. For that, get the source code to DOOMED or DEU or WINTEX or DMAPEDIT or NWT or ...

I'm trying to open a WAD in a program I'm writing. I know about DeepSea and XWE.

http://doomgate.gamers.org/dhs/helpdocs/dmsp1666.html

Failing that, as others have suggested read the source to existing programs out there.