Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gemini09

Doors in ZDoom

I'm building a map in DoomBuilder 2 for GZDoom using "Doom in Hexen format".

I've been using line special 202 Door Generic and tagging the door linedef with the door sector.

The numbers are cluttering up so I want to find out if the original door behavior in doom2.exe is possible in ZDoom. Can you still simply assign the door special to a line, and have the sector behind that line set as the door without having to tag numbers to anything?

I also want to change the entire map format to UDMF. It didn't work by simply changing it, so I copied the sectors and things and pasted them in to a new map that's using UDMF format. Two problems arose: linedef specials weren't copied (fault with DB2), and what appears to be nodes that won't build correctly.

Does anyone have tips or ideas?

it actually looks like linedef specials are copied too on closer inspection but they don't function in-game

Last time I used 202 Door Generic I didn't tag anything and the doors worked fine. Haven't tried UDMF format so can't help you there.

gemini09 said:

I'm building a map in DoomBuilder 2 for GZDoom using "Doom in Hexen format".

I've been using line special 202 Door Generic and tagging the door linedef with the door sector.

Normally the editor should fill in reasonable defaults. However, for doors, better use the 12 Door Raise special. The Door Generic is to handle Booms generalized linedefs and as such has lots of options you don't really need.

...and what appears to be nodes that won't build correctly.

Only recent versions of ZDBSP can build nodes for UDMF maps. But you should only do that if the map gets large. For smaller maps better let ZDoom's internal node builder handle it.

Graf Zahl said:

Only recent versions of ZDBSP can build nodes for UDMF maps. But you should only do that if the map gets large. For smaller maps better let ZDoom's internal node builder handle it.

I updated the ZDBSP nodebuilder but unfortunately it didn't help. The ground is still rendered as skies (except for on the sector you're standing in), walls are untextured and reveal the sky instead, and 2 sided linedefs with for example a 96 unit high wall texture tiles the same texture vertically all the way to the ceiling. The map is about 2,500 sectors and 17,000 linedefs, BTW...

Concerning the door, I deleted all additional info to the 202 Door Generic special, and it stopped working. I changed it 12 Door Raise special without adding additional info like sector tags, and it didn't work. I tested this with the old version of the map using "Doom in Hexen" format.

gemini09 said:

The numbers are cluttering up so I want to find out if the original door behavior in doom2.exe is possible in ZDoom.

What Graf said. I fell into the same trap when I started mapping.

gemini09 said:

Concerning the door, I deleted all additional info to the 202 Door Generic special, and it stopped working. I changed it 12 Door Raise special without adding additional info like sector tags, and it didn't work. I tested this with the old version of the map using "Doom in Hexen" format.

You still have to give at least one number for the speed. If you use my own DB2 configurations for ZDoom and derivatives (see here for infos, require SVN build of DB2), you get a drop-down list with various standard values (4:Animated, 16:Slow, 32:Standard, 64:Fast, 128:Turbo); though you can still input any arbitrary number. The default value is 0, and you can guess that a door that rises at a speed of 0 map unit per eight tics is not going to rise at all!

Thanks, I got them working now.

Any ideas on why the map doesn't render properly? I've built the nodes anew with the latest nodebuilder (dated January 2010), but it didn't make a difference. It still looks like you're surrounded by sky textures on every sector except the one you're standing in.

I could mention that I tried to first save the original "Doom in Hexen format" map to UDMF format. Then I got the following error message:

MAP01 - December City

Map does not define a namespace.

Execution could not continue.

Map is empty.

So I started a new map file in UDMF format, and copy/ pasted sectors and things from the original, and got GZDoom to run the level, but with the messed up rendering.

Help please...

I won't upload it to the public but if you offer to take a look at it I'll be glad to PM you a link.

The problem seems to be that when I copy/ paste all the content to a new UDMF-format map, linedef properties "2 sided" and "impassable" are omitted. Why DB2 does that, I don't know..

The issue turned out to be that I copy/ pasted in sector mode, rather than linedef mode.

Works just fine now.

However, many linedef specials are now out of function. Doors, polyobject doors, and switches work (when they're tagged either "When player presses use" or "When player crosses"), but teleport lines just refuse to work.

They are "Teleport to line" specials. The tags are correct, and I've flagged them "When player walks over", but there is still something I've overlooked. Anybody got an idea what it might be?

It's still the same map that used to be in Hexen format, that is now copy/ pasted to a new map in UDMF format.