Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
omegamer

PWAD to IWAD ?

Hey guys,

I have a jailbroken IPhone and want to play custom wads on "Classic Doom".Is there a way to convert PWADS to IWADS.
I tried out DeepSea but it says i have to order the registered version!!!

Need help.

You could try XWE or Slumped, they have all necessary functions.

And the below instructions are GUESSES. I DON't know if it works with the Iphone Prboom engine, any experts here?

What you need to do is copy your Iwad, and paste the contents of the Pwad into the copied Iwad, copying over the original Iwad contents. If the Pwad has Map01 and Map02, delete the original Iwad Map01 and Map02, and merge the Pwad into the Iwad. Same for all other resources.

And make sure you are using Pwads that work with Vanilla Doom, not ZDoom pwads, etc.

Make a copy of the IWAD you want to inject the PWAD resources into. Open your copy with a hex editor and change the first four bytes to read 'IWAD' instead of 'PWAD'. Now open in either XWE or SlumpED and inject your resources. When finished, open in the hex editor once more and change the first four bytes back to 'IWAD'.

Isnt there a error if I chenge PWAD to IWAD with tools like editor?

I tested it before but then the Wad was damaged.
Are you sure this works?

It depends what editor you are referring to but essentially yes, this is all that actually distinguishes an IWAD from a PWAD. The only issue you may run into is with tools/apps that use some form of checksum/hashing to determine valid IWADs.

This method definitely does work though.

omegamer said:

Isnt there a error if I chenge PWAD to IWAD with tools like editor?

As long as you use a hex editor, then this works fine. If you use a text editor (such as Notepad) or a wordprocessor (such as Word), then it will be totally screwed up.

A couple of free hex editors I've used and can recommend:
* HxD <-- my current editor of choice
* XVI32

omegamer said:
I tried out DeepSea but it says i have to order the registered version!!!

Are you sure? I know it gives a warning if you load a WAD with levels that exceed its shareware size limit, but you can ignore that message and use the resource editing functions (F7) as long as you don't edit the levels.

If not, DeuTex and DeuSF can merge PWADs into IWADs, if you can manage using the command line.