Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fulgrim

Nightmare on Elm Street remake.

With the movie coming out tomorrow. I'd figured starting a thread about it would be a good idea.

From what reviews and other info I have read, where in for another disappointment. People a saying the movie didn't capture the feeling of the first and simply is another movie with a crap load of cg thrown at you in a effort to cover up the fact its not that great of a movie. I also have seen several reviews where this movie relies on "jump scares" to scare the viewer and there isn't even a real scare in the whole movie.

Truth be told I do plan on seeing it. I hope its at least an average horror flick. Though I have to say the first two movies are the best out of the series.

My friends want to drag me along to see it. I've never actually seen any of the other movies, though.

I saw it at a midnight showing and it was...average. Most of the acting was terrible, but the two leads were at least likable in a way. Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy stole the show, though. He might not be Robert Englund but he did a great job as the character. He was really creepy and came off as the sick deviant he always was supposed to be.

Unfortunately Freddy couldn't save the movie from terrible pacing. I can't explain why but it just felt off. It seemed to move too quickly and not really focus on any one point for too long. The body count was also surprisingly low, with only 4 people dying on screen. There were some really dumb lines and bits of dialogue that made me groan out loud, but a few good one liners made up for it.

If you're a huge Freddy fan you're probably going to see this anyway, but for those who aren't fans I'd say only go if you can stand to watch a dumb horror movie. I think it did an admirable job of updating the movie for a new audience but ultimately wasn't up to snuff. Finally, the ending was predictable but still felt limp. It wasn't a bad remake but one that didn't feel necessary.

Snarboo said:

The body count was also surprisingly low, with only 4 people dying on screen.

Pretty sure that's all there was in the original as well.

I don't plan on seeing it simply because I don't think it's necessary. I'm getting real tired of these remakes, especially of 80's films which really aren't that old. I mean pretty much everyone has seen the original except kids too young to buy a ticket considering it's rated R.

Snarboo said:

The body count was also surprisingly low, with only 4 people dying on screen.

I'll admit, I've only seen 3 of them, specifically 2, 4, and 6 but the body count for all three of them seemed pretty low by slasher standards.

My GF is dragging me to it tonight. I've never been a fan of the original, so I probably won't enjoy this too much outside of JEH.

Snarboo said:

I saw it at a midnight showing and it was...average. Most of the acting was terrible, but the two leads were at least likable in a way. Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy stole the show, though. He might not be Robert Englund but he did a great job as the character. He was really creepy and came off as the sick deviant he always was supposed to be.

I'm probably going to see this with my brother, and even though I'm kinda dissapointed that people are saying the movie is very "ehh", I'm glad to hear that the guy portraying Freddy is good.

Saw 7 was to be expected, the fucking killer didn't died in part 6. How many sequels are there going to be, this shit isn't fun to watch anymore.

dutch devil said:

How many sequels are there going to be, this shit isn't fun to watch anymore.

They're probably going to keep pumping out sequels as long as they make money. Look at how many Friday the 13th and Halloween movies there are. Nightmare is actually conservative with its 7/8 movies by comparision.

dutch devil said:

"Coming up, Pongo's review of Rocky 5...THOUSAND!"

Feth's sake, why do they have to remake everything? Can't they try something new for a change? Hollywood needs to be burned to the ground and the earth salted to prevent that bunch of vampires rising again.

EDIT: I realise that was a bit harsh. Actually no, I meant it ;)

Texas Libra said:

"Coming up, Pongo's review of Rocky 5...THOUSAND!"

*Trying to remember what movie that comes from.*

dutch devil said:

The only thing I like about the Saw series is Charlie Clouser's (Nine Inch Nails ex-keyboardist) music score.

This movie (Nightmare) doesn't really look like a movie I would want to see in theaturs. Maybe I'll just waut for it to air on SyFy :P

I'd go so far as to say that it's BETTER than the first movie (saw it 2 nights ago). JEH stole the show, of course. Too bad the main female lead looked constantly doped out.

Danarchy said:

*Trying to remember what movie that comes from.*

Spaceballs

I watched the Nightmare On Elm Street Remake and I can say that it is really badly and cheaply made (poor actors and awful plot), but well, there are 7 very good movies available with the classic Nightmare On Elm Street box (+ 1 extra movie), so: don't care about the remake! If you just want to see the best movies from Nightmare, then watch part 1 and part 3, but the rest is great too...

I should probably see it, just because part of it was filmed in a local high school here and I want to see how it looks after the Hollywood treatment.

MajorRawne said:

Feth's sake, why do they have to remake everything? Can't they try something new for a change? Hollywood needs to be burned to the ground and the earth salted to prevent that bunch of vampires rising again.

EDIT: I realise that was a bit harsh. Actually no, I meant it

You weren't harsh enough. ;)

We've all seen what happens when they're not bastardizing older movies. And the result is that it still blows. Even their "original" movies they've been making lately are basically boring fucking remakes as well because they all depend on the same washed up, uninspired formulas. There's just no energy in their movies at all... everything just feels recycled.

I wish someone would drop a nuke on Hollywood, then maybe we can get some good movies being made again?