Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

tricks for fixing busted laptop keys?

it's as if something is underneath my d key preventing it from going down properly. Really odd is that couple days ago my f key was acting in the same exact way. Then my f key was fine and now my d key is furked, as if the problem transferred from one key to the other.

The tip of a pen blindly rummaging around under there hasn't fixed it.

Your problem might be a small beetle with a hard shell and malicious sense of humour - try bug spray.

pressurized air might work. I thought the pen would do the trick, but no dice. Anyone know how to remove a key without doing damage?

Most keyboards I've used allowed you to simply pull them out. I've not tried it on any laptop or expensive keyboard mind you.

kristus said:

Most keyboards I've used allowed you to simply pull them out. I've not tried it on any laptop or expensive keyboard mind you.

yeah, laptops are trickier.

Not necessarily. I didn't try it on any laptop. But I do have a cheap standalone keyboard lying around that got keys very similar to most laptops. They did work to pull out. Though they have a bit of a fidgety mechanism and I'm not sure how safe it it to pull them out and put them back. I bet it's not hard to break it.

I lost my W key while playing half-life last year. Unfortunately it broke the actual clippy-thing so I just never tried to jerry-mander it back on (plz excuse my technical terminology). It still works fine though, as you can see I am typing W's with no problem. Maybe I should just rip them all like in duckreconmajor's photo, that would be so 1337

EDIT: Also my girlfriend spilled milk on the keys once, and some of the buttons were sticky for a while and it seemed as though something was underneath...N still gives me trouble once in a while

magicsofa said:

I lost my W key while playing half-life last year. Unfortunately it broke the actual clippy-thing so I just never tried to jerry-mander it back on (plz excuse my technical terminology). It still works fine though, as you can see I am typing W's with no problem. Maybe I should just rip them all like in duckreconmajor's photo, that would be so 1337

EDIT: Also my girlfriend spilled milk on the keys once, and some of the buttons were sticky for a while and it seemed as though something was underneath...N still gives me trouble once in a while

Rip it off and remove all the gunk underneath--I found more lint under my D key than in a giant's bellybutton. Also, why would you excuse "jerry-mander"? That is a great expression.

Take trhe key assembly entirely off, take out object, put key back on. Usually I find some rocks in there for some reason or maybe some tortilla chips (I like nachos) so I can't press down on the key since the object blocks the jointed plastic things.

You can also drench the keyboard in water to clean it out, but be sure to let it dry completely before your use it again (take a day to dry though).

I once managed to spill a large glass of lemonade into my laptop keyboard. It was the pulpy, concentrate kind. I ended up removing all the keys and cleaning it out. In the process I broke the little clip thing for my X key. Those things are a bit fragile and hard to replace. I worked around it by replacing it with the clip from the context-menu key. I never used that key. It seems you have to be gentle with those clips.