Forgot your password?
Or sign in with one of these services
TraderEddy, May 1, 2010 in WADs & Mods
My first impressions from a quick walk through -
Map 1 Positives:
+ Fast gameplay.
+ Lots of weaker monsters to blast.
+ Nice hellish theme.
A good attempt for a first map, a bit short but understandably so. The majority of my critique will be in the "negative" category for this map to help you in your future wads.
Map 1 Negatives:
- Door textures desperately needed - use wooden door textures if possible. Also, some of the existing doors have a face texture on one side but are blank on the other.
- Handgunners stuck together in their niches beside the exit door.
- There's no need to fight two of the Hell Knights, since there is nothing in their rooms to reward the player and there is no need for them to become involved in the game.
- Monsters and room placement are identical so you go through the same rooms and same monsters over and over again. Consider mixing up the architecture and your monster placement, otherwise if this map was longer it might be repetitive.
Map 2 Positives:
+ Architecture was pretty interesting in the Pain Elemental room.
+ Much more exciting than the first map with better variety of monsters.
+ Much tougher to beat than map 01 (in a good way).
+ Decent and consistent "hellish" theme with lots of gory decoration.
Map 2 Negatives:
- Door into the Imp room lowers almost immediately after opening. Never seen that before, so I don't know what causes it.
- Door textures are incredibly important - in this map you need to go around hitting blank walls with no indication there is anything there, which is not a player's first instinct when progressing normally through a level. Even when looking for secrets there should be some clue where to go.
- Again, symmetrical deployment of monsters, and areas that match one another exactly. More variety is needed in these respects.
- The room with the key doors was confusing, with a whole room that raises up and down in sections - not sure what the point of that was other than to get the player killed.
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in