Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
judeauxx

Total Conversion - "Finish" game after a certain level

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a Wolfenstein project which is supposed to last only 4 levels. However, once you beat the forth level the game would normally continue with the fifth Doom 2 level (at least in my case, since I use the Doom 2 iwad).
My question: Is there a way to "finish" the game after the fourth level so it either goes back to the title screen or jumps to the very last cutscene of Doom 2?

If you're mapping for ZDoom, Eternity, or another source port that has some sort of MAPINFO or similar system, yes.

If not, it might be worth considering an impossible-to-exit fifth map, like UAC Ultra's credits map in its final slot (map12 I think).

@magicsofa
Indeed, but unfortunately each player would have to warp to stage 27 in order to play my maps.

@esselfortium
I'm mapping for ZDoom, but I actually don't know anything about the MAPINFO system or how to even edit it. Is there a tutorial which might help me? So far I've only been working with Doombilder and XWE.

Personally, I'd suggest using a decent text editor to write your MAPINFO and then stick it in the WAD with XWE but, yes, that's how to do it and where the info lies.

Personally, I'd suggest using a decent lump editor to write your MAPINFO in the WAD but, yes, I suppose XWE can be used as well. :p

There is a recent thread on this topic over at the ZDoom forums, if you need an example: here.

Gez said:

Personally, I'd suggest using a decent lump editor to write your MAPINFO in the WAD but, yes, I suppose XWE can be used as well. :p

I like how XWE autosaves each time I modify. Works for me. DeepSea has more capabilities, but requires more clicks. Is SLADE going to be a competitor for Doom Builder that also has lump editing? Is SlayeR still working on it, besides you?

printz said:

I like how XWE autosaves each time I modify.

Well, that's the root of all of its problems. It just has to fail once and your WAD is gone.

Graf Zahl said:

Well, that's the root of all of its problems. It just has to fail once and your WAD is gone.

It makes backups.

printz said:

It makes backups.

Literally every time XWE has eaten one of my wads, the auto-generated backups have been either grossly outdated or similarly broken. They're basically useless, so I end up making my own backups whenever I have to use XWE for anything.

esselfortium said:

Literally every time XWE has eaten one of my wads, the auto-generated backups have been either grossly outdated or similarly broken. They're basically useless, so I end up making my own backups whenever I have to use XWE for anything.

And what is the best? I also hear lots of crap about SLumpEd.

printz said:

And what is the best? I also hear lots of crap about SLumpEd.

Slumped has issues as well, but it isn't constantly overwriting the file. While it tends to crash for no good reasons because of insufficient sanity checks in its various modules (try to open Strife's TEXTURE1 lump for example), it does not however corrupt what you're working on.