Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jossiejojo

doom.wad.backup and doom.wad.001.new

Ive been using Doombuilder today to build a big outdoor map...and Ive noticed 10 or more files have been generated in the process...called wad.backup and wad.001.new etc...

What are they for? Should they be deleted?

I say this because when I tried to delete them I noticed that the sound stopped working on my level - so I undeleted them and the sound has come back but Ive got like 200mb of wads there!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Why not?

What should I do instead? I wanted to use alot of my own textures and it seemed easiest to use XWE to import them into the main doom wad...

And what are all the back up files for exactly? Do I still need them?

Thanks

A couple of things to know:
1. Don't trust XWE. It has many problems which are never going to be fixed.
2. Do not alter the original IWADs, unless you really know what you're doing.
3. DB2 lets you load many resource files. Use that feature.

jossiejojo said:

What should I do instead? I wanted to use alot of my own textures and it seemed easiest to use XWE to import them into the main doom wad...

Learn how to build your own resource wads. It's not that hard, they'll be smaller and you'll be able to distribute them without the shame associated with warez IWADs.

And what are all the back up files for exactly? Do I still need them?

They're created by Doom Builder and XWE so you have something to fall back on in case your latest changes bomb out. It's unlikely you'll need all of them, so when you decide to reclaim some disk space - delete the oldest backups first.

OK thanks for the advice...

I have to say I think Ive learnt the hard way...

I was getting I/O errors with XWE yesterday when it was open and sharing files with Doombuilder - it didnt want to close and it hanged more than twice...Is this a problem that is recognised???

Now my PC is freezing at random - playing games, vids or just going on youtube it'll freeze

Ive made a level in Doom thats pretty neat but at what price??

And I dont have a system restore I can use...

Coming back to the iwad v pwad thing - sorry if this sounds basic but doesnt using a pwad for making and storing new levels mean that the player has to have their own copy of doom already?

Is that the main issue here ie its about copyright issues etc?? Is that what greyghost means when he talks about shame?

Of course. The principle of the PWAD vs. IWAD system is that you don't have to copy the entire game.

It's not just a question of copyright, too, even if that's maybe the main point. From a practical point of view, all that duplicated data is just a waste of space and, if you don't have a broadband, also of time.