Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anthe

A short Hello to all the crazy guys still going :-)

Hoi folks,

I just found all this when I accidently found a demo of mine on you tube.

Fuck :-D really ...

I *never* would have thought that *anybody* still plays that damn game ... haha

Take care guys. And remember:

*Never* change your route ...

a "steffen" tip ;-)

Anthe said:

Hoi folks,

I just found all this when I accidently found a demo of mine on you tube.

Fuck :-D really ...

Take care guys. And remember:

*Never* change your route ...

a "steffen" tip ;-)

O.o
Oddly I'd say that kind of stuff... Coming from me being a Steffen...
But surely enough this wouldn't be me cause of username.
Welcome to Doomworld.

It's great to hear from old timers. Quite recently we had a post from the DWNAGO WAD compiler, and now this.

Anthe said:

Yeah, and demo recording is still going strong. We have a forum dedicated to it here.

Anthe said:

@mithral demon
my English is too weak to understand your post, sorry.

I don't think it's your English that is weak.

Hello to you too, and I don't think your english is that bad either..at least many of us can make it out.

Wow, Anthe, along with Daniel's, your demos got me started in the doom demo scene. You eventually got me interested in nightmare demo. I even completed doom2 in nightmare back in 1999 and then got the nm 100% secrets and doom1 nm a few years later. Note that only a few players actually managed to complete doom2 in nm, and even less to do doom1 nm (notably the infamous ep4 nm).

It's awesome to see you around!! A true doom legend of the early speedrunning days.

Very few of the older players around anymore. In fact I may be one of the older ones left. And yet, I started a bit after you left.

_bruce_ said:

Seavas oida

wosn do los ? ;-) mia kennen uns ?

@VinceDSS Think I remember you, you were part of a fdoom collection recording team, right ?

@Kristus: If I understand you right, you probably understood me wrong.

Anthe said:

@Kristus: If I understand you right, you probably understood me wrong.

I don't think you understood him right, if I'm correct, he was saying that it was mithral demon's post which was bad, not your English.

Anyway, really cool to see another legend join Doomworld! :)

DeathevokatioN said:

I don't think you understood him right, if I'm correct, he was saying that it was mithral demon's post which was bad, not your English.

Anyway, really cool to see another legend join Doomworld! :)

Thank you ! Ok that s the other way to understand the post. Since I write a lot in German (music) forums ( in German of course ! ) I know that there are a lot of misunderstandings even when writing in mother tongue.

However I just had some silly UV E1M1 tries with prboom and think as a serious guitar player you cant play doom :D .. Too much hard skin on the fingers, haha

I also understand that our demos more than 10 years ago are really things for kids now. We felt the same with f.e. Jonathan Hunter or other H2h heroes... The demos I just watched ( ep1 uv and nm ) are really very impressive and good. Great precision, some new much shorter routes. But still I think one can never be sure that evth has been recorded correctly. Or is this a theme which is tabu here ? Than sorry. For me the simple possibility *that* there is a poss. to cheat was enough to steal my last motivation to record anything. ( But probably I would have stopped anyway )

How are you guys dealing with that ?

hey anthe. yeah these crazy guys still play =) last time I picked up a doom mouse in anger was 2007 or something though, sigh.

one day I'll do pa02!

Well, cheating is an issue more than ever nowadays. The Compet-N kinda died partly because of the near impossibility to tell 100% if a demo is cheated or not. Recently enough someone left lots of doubts about his honesty by leaving suddenly after his demos got questioned.

Back in your days, hacking vanilla .EXE demos was extremely hard and required serious hacking/coding skills.
Nowadays you just need prboom-plus to pull great times easily.

Anyhow, I do not want to sour your return with all that nonsense :)
Great to see you back, I would love to gather some "ancients" that are still around for a chat :)

Thanks for pointing this out Vince.

Anthe - a long overdue "hi" to you, one of the few original "legends" I never got to chat up with through the years. I guess I came in the generation following you and Daniel, altho I was playing the game intensively in a secluded local environment over in Norway when you made your Nightmare demos, knowing nothing of Compet-N.

When Yonatan Donners QDQ demo hit the net, it led me and my fellow Norwegians to Compet-N, and we soon realized the depth of content there, the rich history of players and the standouts like yourselfe, Daniel, Peo, Donner, Humpert and so on. I came to be good buddies with Peo and made some demosets with him and Donner, and cought up with Demonlord over some games of Deathmatch years later.

I'm truly someone who can understand your early obsession with the game, as I belive to this day that few people have played the game more intensively than myselfe through the years, often with 10 hour sessions a day. For years it consumed my life completely. Your name became a household name among the local group of players, often refferd to like legends of various sports are refferd to in other context - even when the stuff recorded by your generation was surpassed in terms of skill and precision, due respect was always paid to the pioneers. It must be amusing for you to consider that people still know your doom handle some 15 years after you retired.

I managed to step out of the recording scene back in 2004, which feels like just a year ago. I still pay attention to breakthrough recordings and such however. Just last year I tried to get a new Compet-N up and running, with the intention of moderating it. Technical complications have put it on ice for the time being however, the main issue being the ease with which one can cheat these days and no good way of preventing or detecting it. Thus I understand your skepsis when viewing recordings from the later generations. By now Steffen Winterfelt and Uwe Girlich are universally considered the first cheaters at Compet-N, but the hostility against these two died over a decade ago, and the demos are simply interesting curiosities by now. By now several of us have witnessed 30NM recordings being done live on lanparties, and the current world record for a full game run on Nightmare is below 30 minutes and well worth watching (and its the real deal, I did a 30NM coop run with the same player back in 2001). Anyone got a link to Hennings run? Vince?

There were things we always wondered about but didnt get to ask: what became your breaking points in the 30NM runs and the ultimate doom epsiode 4 run? Legend has it you managed to get past e4m6 but died in e4m7. Do you recall this to be so, or do you have any other tales to tell about attempts the world didnt get to see? I guess its way too late to ask for surviving demos :)

You dont have any contact with Peo still, by any chanse?

VinceDSS said:

Nowadays you just need prboom-plus to pull great times easily.

This is true, however the active demo people on the demo forums here tend to tell when their demos are tool-assisted, and people separate demos into two categories: normal, fair demos and cheated, tool-assisted demos. Not too long ago there's even been discussions on how small things make demos tool-assisted. For example, is using the advanced Boom GUI (which shows monster count) TAS?

Basically, what it comes down to is people just having to respect themselves and each other. There's no real competition so why should anyone cheat with their demos anyway, not to mention that TAS demos are accepted in their own categories.

Jodwin said:

This is true, however the active demo people on the demo forums here tend to tell when their demos are tool-assisted, and people separate demos into two categories: normal, fair demos and cheated, tool-assisted demos. Not too long ago there's even been discussions on how small things make demos tool-assisted. For example, is using the advanced Boom GUI (which shows monster count) TAS?

Basically, what it comes down to is people just having to respect themselves and each other. There's no real competition so why should anyone cheat with their demos anyway, not to mention that TAS demos are accepted in their own categories.

Ha, years after dropping out I accidently found a page where a guy claimed several different .lmps from even different guys as "being played by him". His motivation ?

A viennese Doomer - must be a failed UAC experiment ^^

Du könntest ein paar maps für mich testen...

Andy Johnsen said:
By now several of us have witnessed 30NM recordings being done live on lanparties, and the current world record for a full game run on Nightmare is below 30 minutes and well worth watching (and its the real deal, I did a 30NM coop run with the same player back in 2001). Anyone got a link to Hennings run?

Yeah, it's attached to this post.

Andy Johnsen said:

Anthe - a long overdue "hi" to you, one of the few original "legends" I never got to chat up with through the years. I guess I came in the generation following you and Daniel, altho I was playing the game intensively in a secluded local environment over in Norway when you made your Nightmare demos, knowing nothing of Compet-N.

"Nothing" might be too much. After having seen the latest Winterfeldt/Girlich entries ( f.e. episode runs for doom2 ) I decided to not record any speed demos anymore. But I kept contact to Simon and the others...

Andy Johnsen said:

When Yonatan Donners QDQ demo hit the net, it led me and my fellow Norwegians to Compet-N, and we soon realized the depth of content there, the rich history of players and the standouts like yourselfe, Daniel, Peo, Donner, Humpert and so on. I came to be good buddies with Peo and made some demosets with him and Donner, and cought up with Demonlord over some games of Deathmatch years later.

Maybe you know that I had a "deep" ( afap ) relationship to Peo. We had very similiar interests and thoughts about many things.

At that time I even thought about leaving Vienna and going to Baliu :-) ( must still laugh for that crazy thoughts )

However it never came to a point where we made concrete plans.
------
I also had a ot of contact to Yonatan ( aged sth like 15 at that time ) . I however was never interested in wad-building or testing ( @bruce, danke nein. ).

Andy Johnsen said:

I'm truly someone who can understand your early obsession with the game, as I belive to this day that few people have played the game more intensively than myselfe through the years, often with 10 hour sessions a day. For years it consumed my life completely.

the problem was that I was not a kid anymore and had a girlfriend ( who I almosat lost at that time ), a very intensive job ( SW developer ) and it went to a point where I fell asleep while thinking about a certain problem at work ... fortunately I was always good at work, so I kept my work. But on the weekends I played all day and night long for years.

Andy Johnsen said:
Your name became a household name among the local group of players, often refferd to like legends of various sports are refferd to in other context - even when the stuff recorded by your generation was surpassed in terms of skill and precision, due respect was always paid to the pioneers.

At a certain point this scared me. I got emails from boys saying "hey, you are my hero, I am 6 years old and play all day long" . Then you see massacre A in school B in TV saying

I also had every "normal" sign of addiction. But iit wasnt easy to leave ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyiexOV3Id0#t=1m05s

Andy Johnsen said:
It must be amusing for you to consider that people still know your doom handle some 15 years after you retired.

I took only one thing with me from that rather senseless ( in a bigger context ) time. If I *really* try I can *really* be good at ...

Andy Johnsen said:
I managed to step out of the recording scene back in 2004, which feels like just a year ago. I still pay attention to breakthrough recordings and such however. Just last year I tried to get a new Compet-N up and running, with the intention of moderating it. Technical complications have put it on ice for the time being however, the main issue being the ease with which one can cheat these days and no good way of preventing or detecting it.

Yes as I said, I realized that when I had my first tries with xor.exe I recorded some lmps and suddenly got the "Winterfeldt" effect in my movements. "Stuck on the floor" , like a race car ..., evth was rounder than round. Steffen never answered ( we had some contact ... ) to the sent lmps from me ...

Andy Johnsen said:
Thus I understand your skepsis when viewing recordings from the later generations. By now Steffen Winterfelt and Uwe Girlich are universally considered the first cheaters at Compet-N, but the hostility against these two died over a decade ago, and the demos are simply interesting curiosities by now. By now several of us have witnessed 30NM recordings being done live on lanparties, and the current world record for a full game run on Nightmare is below 30 minutes and well worth watching (and its the real deal, I did a 30NM coop run with the same player back in 2001). Anyone got a link to Hennings run? Vince?

I understand all this, also my (school) friend "GodFather" Zlatko always said: I dont care if they are assisted somehoe, they are simply good to watch, but I think it s different when you are at the level Daniel and me were. He with speed , me with nm. I remember that his world seem to fall into pieces when he heard about xor.exe.

Andy Johnsen said:
There were things we always wondered about but didnt get to ask: what became your breaking points in the 30NM runs and the ultimate doom epsiode 4 run? Legend has it you managed to get past e4m6 but died in e4m7. Do you recall this to be so, or do you have any other tales to tell about attempts the world didnt get to see? I guess its way too late to ask for surviving demos :)

Honestly I cant remember too much. I played less and less and unfortunately the two hdd s I had stored in my "sentimental" box both dont work anymore. ( When I told ryback@youtube some days ago that I found them, I was a little more "optimistic" )

I am sure that I had tons of h2h recordings which I never showed to anyone. These maps where a really good training for dm.

Maybe I get the HDs working again, maybe .... mayber I have a lmps.zip somewhere, not sure ...

With 30nm I think I didnt train it correctly because I always tried again and again, not the way I was normally training ( 1st savegames, slowmo etc ). I didnt have too much time each day as it was before ...

I dont think I made e4m6 but I am not sure, I surely had some tries making e4m1 and e4m2 but I didnt try the whole thing for too long( its very annoying as you know :-)). I would have to check the txts of my uploads when my civil service started ( it lasted for 1 year ). This year was the negative highlight in heavy abuse of myself. After that year I had to run the company for which I was working half a year, so I had almost no time for nth. Then I only played daywise. Someone asked "can you please do this" and if I got it within some hours or days I recorded it.

Andy Johnsen said:
You dont have any contact with Peo still, by any chanse? [/B]

I was hoping to find the mails we sent to each other appr. 1 year ago, but it seems I deleted them. ( I was only writing silly stuff, maybe thats why ). I however found him via normal google searches in Excel expert forum ... maybe he is still active there...
( gl ! )

Ok, must do some work, too :-) !

If you dont find Peo, I will try to help you, I however couldnt find a pm button at your post ?

Just wanted to say "Hello!" to a speedrunning legend. :-)

Andreas, your demos have educated, inspired, and entertained countless Doom players over the years. You honour Doomworld with your presence.

Greetings, I don't know of you but I may have seen one or two of your demos, provided nobody did better than you in Compet-N.

It seems everyone in this thread is meeting one of their heroes.

Greetings Anthe,

Together with Anders Johnsen I consider myself as the next generation doomers. Following yourself, Daniel, Panter etc. I can remember like yesterday how we was blown away about your style of approach to the game. Its what started the addiction for sure, espessialy for myself. I feel like we shared the same feelings as to how the game should be played and enjoyed. Nightmare speedrunning quickly became my passion as well, a passion still with me today.

In retro perspective its actually funny how the d2 fullgame run (nm) got *over complicated* in the early days. The tactic\routes used in the 90s were abit less tuned into towards what the skill level really required. Alot *harder* than the lame work-around routes\tactics used today :-)

...glad to see you still having some interest to the scene. The game have had a great history. It'll some day be seen as a true form of art.

@Kristian Hello 2, the word "educated" is a small problem for me :-)

@GhostlyDeath I d say I always did rather bad in CompetN compared to other things I did :-) I have never been a patient enough speedrunner. 1st of all I didnt like the "seconds only" end screen - problem
( quite annoying in let s say d2 map 01, isnt it ), 2nd the longer I played the more I wanted to stop or if I play "enjoy it". Which brings me to

@skogsto

I m rather sure you know a little bit more since your post since I ve had some longer mails with Anders in the meantime. So I can give my compliments directly here. Great unofficial run ! Great movement, great precision and yes at a acertain point I had to explain all my ( ex- ;-) ) friends that my "still playing it" is some kind of self-expression ( = art ) for me.

Of course evth develops with time, routes geht shorter, one tries this, another sth else, new tricks, mind breakthroughs ( yon can also do this that way ) and so on ... I however smelt and felt the/my limit of the game and my personal will to devote sth to it. Then the "slowmo" facts ... However every person is different, everybody must go his own way. In other ( famous ) words: we live as we die, alone.
( except when you re in a coop run :-) hehe )

Take care guys

Last question: Has there ever been a well known female player ? haha ...

And another PS: Funny, that noone said a word about the song-link. Im quite sure some of you could easily sign Sarah's text ...