Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TraderEddy

[deleted]

If you lower a sky sector and leave the upper side with NO texture, it will just appear as the sky. The only problem is that you will not be able to see anything behind it. So, you can't do this inside a canyon because you will see sky above the building where the canyon is supposed to appear. However, if nothing is in the way (such as in an endless desert) it will be un-noticable. If you don't get it, look at either of the first levels of doom (E1M1 or MAP01) they both have courtyards that use this trick, although it's on the edge of the level instead of the middle.

Hope this helps.

There's another, rarely seen, way to do short buildings. It's a bit hard to explain, but here goes. On 2-sided lines, middle textures don't tile like upper/lower textures do. On the edge of the building(the line you would normally leave blank so the sky would fill it in) assign the texture to the middle slot and align it accordingly. Now, the texture will only be drawn once, leaving the upper portion clear.

Just like the sky method magicsofa mentioned, it has several drawbacks, not the least of which is that it's ridiculously complicated. You can't view it from above, as you'd be able to see into the building(though it's possible to imitate a roof). The entire building has to be constructed of 2-sided lines, which means if you want your textures inside to tile(say, in a room that's 256 units tall) you'll have to stack linedefs.

I can only recall two places it's been done if you want to check it out. Requiem MAP31 and BARRACKS.WAD by Justin Madigan.

I notice that you are using stuff from Realm667 so you are probably using Zdoom. This may not be what you want to do but if the map is only for GZdoom, then you could use 3D floors to make the roof and remove the need for hacks entirely.

Andy Olivera said:

There's another, rarely seen, way to do short buildings. It's a bit hard to explain, but here goes. On 2-sided lines, middle textures don't tile like upper/lower textures do. On the edge of the building(the line you would normally leave blank so the sky would fill it in) assign the texture to the middle slot and align it accordingly. Now, the texture will only be drawn once, leaving the upper portion clear.

Just like the sky method magicsofa mentioned, it has several drawbacks, not the least of which is that it's ridiculously complicated. You can't view it from above, as you'd be able to see into the building(though it's possible to imitate a roof). The entire building has to be constructed of 2-sided lines, which means if you want your textures inside to tile(say, in a room that's 256 units tall) you'll have to stack linedefs.

I can only recall two places it's been done if you want to check it out. Requiem MAP31 and BARRACKS.WAD by Justin Madigan.

I'm confused...won't that building be missing a ceiling? I feel like you're better off just raising some walls for a ceiling-less building...

Gothictx has some decent aztec/inca-like textures, check the first two maps of this for examples. Might want to godmode to check out texture usage though. Yeah I'm plugging my own project ;P

magicsofa said:

I'm confused...won't that building be missing a ceiling? I feel like you're better off just raising some walls for a ceiling-less building...

In theory, you should be able to have ceilings at whatever height you want. As long as you utilize the middle textures to keep the flats from bleeding, you should have ceilings and be able to see over the building just fine.

If I can carve out some time I'll see if I can throw something together to demonstrate.