Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
diosoth

stuck in Psychophobia

I'm in level 13, the haunted mansion of episode 2. I've reached the big round room, kill the mini cacodemon, the giant Heretic helmets spawn, I kill them... and nothing. What do I do in this room to advance?

And that buddy is actually me lol. Honestly, I always get stuck there as well. I just try and run back through the door you come in. Challenging, but possible. I dunno how to advance other than jump over one of the fences outside that leads to the back. However, I'll ask Cobalt what I should actually do.

I believe that big gate door in the room is supposed to open but the current GZDoom breaks whatever that trigger is(wow, a new version of ZDoom breaking an old feature, that's NEVER happened before...). I didn't use the copy that was packed in with the maps(and I also found the pre-packed setup to be a mess to tranfer to the current install).

I used IDCLIP to get through the gate and proceed. I suspect something isn't happening because there's a weapon on top of the center pillar, I'd guess that should lower so you can collect it.

I emailed Cobalt today, had to send him a song I wrote for Map02 for this mod (making an official "PsychoPhobia OST" for him, hehe). I mentioned this problem, maybe we'll get an answer.

I'm playing through this new version now. The new MP7 pistol is nice and the pump-action shotgun fires faster. But the double-barrel shotgun is a worthless weapon. The shot spread is too wide and it only fires one shell at a time. The creator should've kept the Terminator 2 lever shotgun instead. I also don't see the point of the M-16. It's the MP7 with a longer reload time.

EDIT: so the Winchester shotgun IS present but not until level 3. But the double barrel is still pretty much useless.

I'd also forgotten about the exit gate in level 3. It doesn't open no matter what I do. I had to IDCLIP through that, as I did the last version of Psychophobia. It's not left me hopeful of the other level being fixed.

Level 3, at the end with the Mancubi? I'm not 100% sure, but if that's the one, what difficulty are you playing on? In order to pass through, you need to kill 3 Mancubus in order for it to lower. If you are on an easier difficulty, there aren't 3 and so it won't lower.

Seeker_of_Truth said:

Level 3, at the end with the Mancubi? I'm not 100% sure, but if that's the one, what difficulty are you playing on? In order to pass through, you need to kill 3 Mancubus in order for it to lower. If you are on an easier difficulty, there aren't 3 and so it won't lower.

Well that's what I'd call a very poor level design.

I'll report it to Cobalt. His brother made that map and just about every other map in the game except Map01.

The Double Barrel shotty can be useful, but still kinda unnecessary imo. If you could carry 2 with a stronger punch, that would be nice.

The M-16 I think is stronger than the MP7 and more accurate.

I'll mention these issues to Cobalt when I send him more music today.

Personally I think there needs to be some minor tweaking to levels here and there. It's apparent where segments of old Bloodpack maps were pasted in because they don't always blend in with the ambience. Level 3 is a good example as the ending area was pasted almost exactly. Or was that the intent?

Okay, just completed episode 1. The red key in the last level still seems impossible to collect. It's on a walkway which is unreachable. I don't know what happened between the previous release and this one, but the framerate stutters and the lighting looks like everything is covered in white powder.

Episode 2 map 3 IS fixed. 3 of the helmets spawn now, killing them lowers the central pillar and the gate. However, the framerate issues caused two separate lock ups in map 2, one during a save which deleted the save file.

I also think the autoaim option needs to be disabled for the dynamite. I can't tell you how many times I flew into the air because the instant explosion stuff landed by my feet thanks to autoaim locking on to an enemy.

Disable AutoAim...

From PsychoPhobia_Info.txt file:
"To play PsychoPhobia properly you need the following settings:
- OpenGL must be on (otherwise there will be graphical glitches and no 3d-stuff)
- You should use a resolution of 1024x768 or higher
- It is recommended to disable autoaim"

:P

I've always had framerate issues when it comes to PsychoPhobia, glad I'm not the only one lol

The Red Key in the last map is easy to get (though in this latest release, I haven't tested it). You have to jump across, but don't run-jump. For some reason, run-jumps don't go very far, so if you do a stand and jump or walk-jump, you may make it a lot easier.

Cobalt said he'll make the double shotgun stronger. He also said the PP maps were originally gonna be a remake of Bloodpack, but decided to make a whole new storyline. Some of the Episode 1 maps were made from Bloodpack maps.