Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scet

Build engine question

Simple question here folks: does the Build engine use a BSP tree like Doom?

As far as I can tell the answer is no. I've never looked at the source, but it would seem from the file format it doesn't use nodes. I suppose it could build them while loading, but for an old DOS game I really doubt it. So I'm guessing it's a raycaster? That would explain how it's possible to edit sectors while playing.

Build does not use any BSP tree, and is not a ray-casting renderer.

The renderer could be called a "wall sorter". Google around and you'll find more information about it.

andrewj said:

Build does not use any BSP tree, and is not a ray-casting renderer.

The renderer could be called a "wall sorter". Google around and you'll find more information about it.

I thought it did use ray casting in combination with a wall sorting algorithm. Like it would still do the column drawing, but used a list of walls to do hidden surface removal so it knew when to draw each wall.

But yeah, no BSP.

From Ken's posts on his forums it would appear to be some kind of portal renderer. It tests all the lines in the players sector and then moves out from there.

It can do neat things because of that too. Things like moving sectors, really hackish mirrors, sectors that overlap, etc. It's a neat engine. Runs slow as molasses on a 486. :D

Scet said:

From Ken's posts on his forums it would appear to be some kind of portal renderer. It tests all the lines in the players sector and then moves out from there.

Found it, I was wrong. No raycasting at all. It's a brute-force wall-sorting algorithm.

Cool, I learned something today :-D