Find results in...
iori

Drip Feed Released!

Yay, Iori map!

iori said:

I'm new here and this is my first post.

Postcount says:626

I am puzzled :-)

You ARE alive! :D I absolutely must check this out as soon as possible. Looks gorgeous.

Screenies look nice. When I get time, I'll download and play it, probably during work or something. I can provide music for ya if you'd like.

AgentSpork said:

You ARE alive! :D

More than ever, in fact :)

iori, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Here are my findings/thoughts ...

1. Sector 618 should have had the flat DEM1_5 as the floor.

2. Sectors 1220, 1216, 1218, 1221, 1214 probably should have the ceiling flat IORI02.

3. Sector 909 would have looked better IMO with a slightly higher floor height.

4. Line 4778 would have looked better IMO with the texture WFALL1.

5. Texture on lines 7408 and 8251 could have the same type/action that line 4778 has.

6. Check different textures used for lines 8013/8121 and 8125/8202.

7. Wrong ceiling flat for sector 137 - should be CEIL5_2.

8. Sector 257 would have looked better IMO if the floor was a slightly higher height.

9. Sector 295 - invisible bridge - would look better IMO if it had either diagonal or parallel crossbeam textures.

10. Line 2032 is missing the texture IORIWAL4 on its back side mid tex.

11. Can safely remove tag 72 from sector 584.

12. Some "sweetener" needs to be placed at sector 1007 to lure the player in ...

13. For all the work the player has to go through to get to sector 778 and get the BFG - this sector should be flagged as a secret.

14. Maybe increase the floor heights of sectors 31 and 444 by 7 so the mid tex IORI10 fits perfectly ?

15. Action/type and tag can be removed from line 7577.

16. Maybe a "real" sky when looking through sector 1107 ?

.... great wad ! :)

Awesome hawkwind, thanks!
Very comprehensive :)

#9 only applies to Risen3d maybe? It is solid in software rendering.

iori said:

Awesome hawkwind, thanks!
Very comprehensive :)

You're welcome.

iori said:

#9 only applies to Risen3d maybe? It is solid in software rendering.

You are correct. It is a Risen3D bug, since even in hardware rendering, glboom+ and gzdoom do render a bridge floor.

... goes off to report ...

Okay, finally got a chance to play this, and I'm getting brutally maimed on each run I make. Not complaining though... I'll get it eventually! :p

This level looks and plays fantastic, there is a great attention to detail as well, regarding monster and item placement as well as architecture. Not sure why this thread isn't getting more love.

Were those custom textures designed by you?

I really think the music from Ultimate DooM E1M8 will fit this level very well. Slow, atmospheric, and demonic.

Glad to see you're back, the first time I saw this thread was after I had played a Community Chest 2 map done by you. :)

EDIT:

Have you tried it with an E4 sky yet? I think that would go down pretty well with your level. :) Not sure though.

Thanks for the comments.

The custom textures are ripped from Doom64 and recoloured in some cases.
Thanks for the suggestions too, but they are a little late, I'm afraid. I quickly finished the map and uploaded it to the archives a couple days ago. Off my plate!

This WAD is completely awesome. I just got through playing it and had a blast. The look is beautiful, and I love how easily one area flows into another. The themes are well kept without the look becoming repetitive and boring.

Gameplay is top-notch. I saved often but never actually died, which is fine with me. Ammo balance right up to the very end is great. I would always be nervous about running out of ammo but never did. This is true until the end when I started to get maxed on shells and cells.

Despite the size I never got lost, save for one little point where had I remembered where I'd seen a key I wouldn't have. All in all a very good achievement for a big level that maintains a uniform look throughout, which is usually a recipe for endless wanderings.

I couldn't find either secret, and since there's just two on such a huge level I wasn't real motivated to spend the time looking for them.

This is one of the best-looking most enjoyable levels I've ever played. Great all around.

NT

and I love the lion's head with a flame in it's mouth!

I am really looking forward to this. Been awhile since we had an iori map. Very cool! grabbing it now.

I must remember to give this a download and play. I keep coming to this thread but I always get distracted with something else and don't download it :P. Looks like a very cool map from the screenshots and the buzz around it seems very positive :D

What can I say?

Well, this is the kind of map that makes me want to delete all WAD editors and give up mapping forever. On the other side, its quite inspirational.

VERY good map. Good flow, good looks, good fights, good balance of ammo/health.

The appearance of the second archie was unexpected, and very cool :P

I saw MegaDoomer nominated this map in the cacowards thread, and I agree to the max!

This map was pure quality, man. Impressive the whole way through. The only drawback for me was the automap being out in the open, but otherwise, top-notch. Excellent work.

Wow, indeed, great job on this iori :)
Large and epic map, impressive layout and design, item and monster placement are clever ( although maybe in some places ammo boxes are in the way and you have to pick them up to continue --> might lead to waste of ammo ).
Good use of Doom 64 textures, too.

I found the exit room to be rather out of place, and maybe a bit disappointing considering how epic the level is. Then again, I only found 66% of secrets so maybe there's something else hidden somewhere :p
Awesome map, it should really get more attention :)
Please make more !

You used a lot of cool boom tricks that im probably gonna steal. Great map :)

*minor bump*

Was looking for something cool to play and went hunting through old wads n mods threads to see what was about. Stumbled over this.

Just wanted to post to say what an awesome level this was. Thoroughly enjoyed playing through this.

Great work.