Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bgraybr

Spawn a player?

Recommended Posts

For a level I'm making, I want to be able to spawn a "player" (a friendly monster with the same sprites as the player?) armed with a chaingun. The only problem is, I have no idea how to go about doing this. I know its possible to make a friendly monster, because I've seen them in some of the levels I've played. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Share this post


Link to post

I'm pretty sure friendly monsters are only supported in certain games and ports: In vanilla format, I believe Hexen and Strife are the only ones that can have friendly monsters. However if you are mapping for Zdoom, you can use Hexen format for doom levels and they even include some pre-made friendly marines. You will need ACS scripting to make them do anything more advanced than the doom AI however

Share this post


Link to post
magicsofa said:

I'm pretty sure friendly monsters are only supported in certain games and ports: In vanilla format, I believe Hexen and Strife are the only ones that can have friendly monsters. However if you are mapping for Zdoom, you can use Hexen format for doom levels and they even include some pre-made friendly marines. You will need ACS scripting to make them do anything more advanced than the doom AI however


I'm using Doom Builder and zdoom, and my map is Doom in Hexen format. I didn't notice the marines... but, when I place one in my map, it attacks me like an ordinary enemy. So I have to write an ACS script or something to make the marines not attack me?

Share this post


Link to post

No, there is actually a FRIENDLY flag. It appears in the same spot as the flags for difficulty levels, multiplayer, etc

NOTE: One thing about a friendly monster is that, it has to be woken up and if you wake it up, it will just wander around with no target. You do need ACS if you want your guys to wake up and, for example, walk towards a target and attack it. Look on zdoom.org for the tutorials section, there is some stuff that should help you if you need it

Share this post


Link to post

in ZDoom, During gameplay, go into the console and type

"summonfriend marinechaingun"

and press enter and a gray Doom Marine will show up and start opening fire on monsters. It's good if used in a room jampacked with monsters but isn't very effective in seeking out a level with you. This can be done in any Doom wad so long as you are using ZDoom.

Share this post


Link to post
Fisk said:

I would like to mention at this point in time that it is perfectly possible to have friendly marines in vanilla. That is all.

Yeah, through coop. :p

Friendly AI was developed separately in three sources: Hexen (minotaur summon), Strife (allied Front soldiers), and MBF (-dogs and friendly flags).

Share this post


Link to post

Well, I the marines don't really have to be good fighters, I'm making a level that's a marine base and I just thought it would be more interesting to have friendly marines throughout the level.

One more question- is there such thing as Doom in Strife format or something like that? It would be cool to have missions and objectives within a level instead of aimlessly wandering around pressing switches.

Share this post


Link to post
Fisk said:

I would like to mention at this point in time that it is perfectly possible to have friendly marines in vanilla. That is all.


I would like to mention at this time that your post is basically worthless unless you explain how (i.e. prove it)

bgraybr said:

Well, I the marines don't really have to be good fighters, I'm making a level that's a marine base and I just thought it would be more interesting to have friendly marines throughout the level.

One more question- is there such thing as Doom in Strife format or something like that? It would be cool to have missions and objectives within a level instead of aimlessly wandering around pressing switches.


No, it's Strife in Hexen format. You don't need strife, all you need is ACS. Please look through the tutorials and the zdoom wiki documentation before asking questions: Nobody is going to write a tutorial for you

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×