Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

God created everything

I am always curious to see more information on intelligent design not because I'm religious, but because it fascinates me. This was a rather interesting article I found. I'm no geologist, nor am I a chemist, but this seems to make an interesting point.

Earth Created in an instant?

Discuss.

Oh dear lord (ahem) that rambling article is filled with so many false statements and misconceptions that it completely undoes itself. I mean, seriously, it's arse from start to finish. It's so far from accurate that there is nothing to discuss. It's jam packed full of conclusions that are leapt to from circumstantial and only cursorily supporting evidence. If you think about or investigate almost any of the points made for the tiniest moment, you will see them crumble and fall in front of you.

Also, any site that feels the need to accentuate "important" bits of text by making it red and uses animated gifs to pepper the article too is an instant fail in the quest to appear authoritative. In fact, starting off with "Absolute Scientific Proof..." is an absolute give away too. There is nothing scientific about that article and that very line is the first clue.

Even if earth was created in an "instant" of human time (which I'm quite sure it didn't, neither creation nor destruction in this universe tends to be that fast), that still doesn't explain why god had anything to do with it.

Nothing new here, same shit as usual. Go for a walk in the hills or something, that'll be much more interesting.

Intelligent design is retarded. God made everything the way it is because He did, using means that we could never understand.

People who are so insecure in their faith that they need to try and justify creation using man's science piss me off as much as tards like Dawkins, etc. lol

I didn't know rocks "evolved", maybe he played too much Pokemon.

Like a lot of these articles, the author has no idea what evolution is or how it works. This is made clear by the writing under the links after the Polonium article.

Lorenzo said:

Geology has nothing to do with Evolution.

Neither does abiogenesis or cosmology. But that doesn't stop them from ignorantly lumping them together under the tag evolution.

Khorus said:

Nothing new here, same shit as usual. Go for a walk in the hills or something, that'll be much more interesting.

We've had this exact same topic here a couple of times. We're pretty much all under a consensus.

John Smith said:

Even if earth was created in an "instant" of human time (which I'm quite sure it didn't, neither creation nor destruction in this universe tends to be that fast), that still doesn't explain why god had anything to do with it.

And that's exactly why intelligent design is not science. At some point it requires an untestable leap of faith - by definition making it not a scientific theory.

Things are very complicated - testable
Things interact very well and demonstrate a state of dynamic equilibrium - testable
This situation is too well organised and perfect so it can't have happened by chance but must have been designed by an intelligence instead - leap of faith, therefore not a scientific theory.

And having re-read that article, it's just dumbfounding how it makes utterly baseless claims and reports utter (testable) falsehoods as fact (my bad, it's in print, it must be true) and then draws conclusions from those statements which aren't valid or logical even if the statements were true.

John Smith said:

Exspecially Christian god.

Intelligent design is... level design! Go make some maps, it's very healthy! :D

Granite has another very unique property in that it cannot be created by scientists. It is considered to be an "original" material in the Earth. When melted and allowed to harden, it does not return to the original granite crystalline structure. The new smaller crystalline material is called rhyolite. Granite cannot be made by cooling the initial molten materials. This is very important, so remember this fact.

It thinks granite is an element.

I've glimpsed through the pages of dozens of pseudoscientific/esoteric magazines a friend of mine assiduously bought (and claimed they were "loans" from yet another friend) and just reading halfway through ANY page was enough to make my head hurt. I'll read this another time, but my guess is that it's no better. Besides, as I read in these magazines, we Greeks are descendants of the El, superior alien beings that created Ultima Thule in the lost continent of Hyperborea...and the Nefelim were our arch-nemesis, anchestors of the Jews. So intelligent design and the bible -written by Jews- must be wrong. So there.

printz said:

Intelligent design is... level design! Go make some maps, it's very healthy! :D

Thread's over.

Mr. T said:

People who are so insecure in their faith that they need to try and justify creation using man's science piss me off as much as tards like Dawkins, etc. lol

Actually, one of the main drives behind intelligent design is not to justify faith at all - it's to try and get a theory of how things came to be that includes the possibility of "god did it" taught in science classes in US schools as an alternative to evolutionary theory.

ie, the main drive is political. The creationalists don't like that evolution (a scientific theory which goes against their beliefs) can be taught in the science room but that "god did it" can't. So they are pushing the whole ID idea to create (ahem) a "scientific" theory which can, therefore, be taught in schools during science lessons. Problem is, ID is not a scientific theory and any scientist worth his salt knows it.

As an aside, but slightly related...

Something that I was pondering a few days ago. How big does a religion have to be before it gets accepted? I don't just mean acknowledged on a database somewhere (such as the Jedi census phenomenon). I mean properly accepted as something to respect. You know how people - atheist, people of other religions etc - will speak in hushed tones or avoid offending someone if religion is invoked. You know, the old "I'm sorry, I find it offensive when you talk about [insert appropriate religious icon here]". People will apologize, work places will respect a person's right to observe their religious commitments, heads of churches are consulted about various things etc etc etc.

So, I got to thinking (purely hypothetically) if I said that I had been to the bottom of my garden and had met a little blue goblin who had told me that he had created the world and that I should worship him and spread the word, how would that manage to get to the point of becoming accepted and respected? (Note, the blue goblin does not have to exist, merely that I say he does and apparently believe it is enough.)

Clearly, if I did that, I would just be laughed at. It's ridiculous, right? And where's my proof? (Mind you, I have as much as many religions already - personal testament from someone with direct experience of the deity, ie me.)

But what if I managed to get a small group around me who believed that I had met the creator of the universe and that he was a small blue goblin? How many followers would I need before we were more than just "that bunch of nut cases"?

What if I established a church/centre of worship? What if I established a chain of churches? What if we went international? How many would I need, how big would my organisation need to be before an employer gave me a half hour break to pray to the blue goblin at 4pm every day? How big would the organisation need to be before our religious observances were considered when laws were being created? How big would our organisation need to be before it was deemed acceptable, even desirable, for a public figure to be seen to be attending the church of the blue goblin? How big would we need to get before we could go to war and kill people in the name of the blue goblin and for that to be understood as justification by others?

How does something that has no evidence other than the personal account of someone who says they have experience of their god get to the point of being universally accepted as something to be respected when dealing with that person?

And I'm not even asking this to try and undermine any particular religious point of view, nor to deny any of them. It's just that the idea popped in to my head and I found the thought intriguing because people respect the beliefs of others even if they personally do not share the beliefs or even if they think that the beliefs are absolute baseless rubbish. So one person thinks another person is completely deluded, basing their whole life on something they consider to be no more than a fairy story, yet will modify their own behaviour to allow that belief and its requirements to continue.

The question and the thought is more to do with humans than any particular religious stand point.

Something as complex as Richard Dawkins (though Pat Condell is better) couldn't have evolved by chance and thus god exists.

All you need for your religion to be respected is either a large team of lawyers or violent protesters.

Patrick said:

I am always curious to see more information on intelligent design not because I'm religious, but because it fascinates me. This was a rather interesting article I found. I'm no geologist, nor am I a chemist, but this seems to make an interesting point.

Earth Created in an instant?

Discuss.

I have a better site.

It makes more sense than your Biblelife site, I promise.

Enjay said:

Actually,

point.

It is very simple: the more money your church has, the more it will be respected and considered normal.

Science can explain everything. Religion can deny everything in a rant that makes no sense. Case and point.

What a stupid notion - scientists can't make granite so only god can? We can't make oil either, because it takes thousands of years or whatever.

I think it's funny when people say "evolution can't be proved." I know this article isn't talking about biological evolution but, it reminds me of conversations with some family members who say stuff like "It couldn't just happen, randomly." They refuse to believe that we can watch evolution happen in bacteria. Also, why do you think we have cats and dogs? LOL as if they existed before we breeded them...

FRUNARK

I personally like creationism. There's a creationist "scientist" who claims dinosaurs still exist, and he has pictures as proof! His expertise is hunting them after all!

I can't remember the site off hand but I remember the most evil remark. I believe he was in Africa. He stated that a native tribe was doing some sort of religious tribute because a few of them were sick. He goes on to say too bad their god is fake and that they're going to die... what a jerk.

I'll have to dig up this site, if it still exists. This guy is a real tool.

Edit: I remember it had lots of propaganda far kids. Like: The T-Rex had sharp teeth to shred leaves! Because that's logical. I'd like to see anyone with a set razor sharp teeth try to eat vegetation.

Enjay said:

Actually, one of the main drives behind intelligent design is not to justify faith at all - it's to try and get a theory of how things came to be that includes the possibility of "god did it" taught in science classes in US schools as an alternative to evolutionary theory.

[big long explanation of it justifying faith]

So it's to justify faith. Yeah, got that. Why not just say it?

That article page was terrible trash. Evolution talking about rock formation indeed! Granted, you could call that "evolution" as the rocks are evolving over time, but this fool suffered an epic confusion of ideas nonetheless.

Enjay said:

As an aside, but slightly related...

A book translated a few times, and about 1.5 thousand years.

hobomaster22 said:

I personally like creationism. There's a creationist "scientist" who claims dinosaurs still exist, and he has pictures as proof! His expertise is hunting them after all!

Dinosaurs do actually still exist. Here's one:

Yeah, we just call them "birds" now instead of "dread lizards", but they're the same thing.