Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fatal error

My latest work Sanity

Sanity has found it's way onto the archive.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16067

I have finally finished my latest project named Sanity and require it to be tested. This wad introduces some stuff I haven't used before such as scripting, so it should be interesting. Also the game has several modes to play, most notably are the campaign and survival modes. My goal is to get 4 stars when I upload it to the archive but if you don't think it's worth a 4 please tell me what to improve to get it there. I hope you all enjoy this, even though it's not the most elaborate wad to date.

Sanity also has a interesting story which you learn more about as you play.

STORY: You are a marine named James. You are one
of Intechs best soliders, but you have one flaw:
you enjoy to goof off. Your quite famous for
running into battle taunting your enemies all the
while reducing them to bloody giblets. And now
while on leave you realize your brothers car
needs to be blown up. So you place the charges
you "aquired" from your base all around the car.
Your goal is to get it 80 feet in the air, but
as it turns out you miscalculated the blast
radius of the exlosives. Upon detination the
blast threw you against the garage and put you
in a coma. Now trapped within your mind you must
wander through your memories for a way to wake
up, and maybe even discover not all of your mind
is good.

Screenies

http://www.totcomicsdoom.com/s/cc_images/cache_2458834254.jpg?t=1273261094

http://www.totcomicsdoom.com/s/cc_images/cache_2458834454.jpg?t=1273261118

http://www.totcomicsdoom.com/s/cc_images/cache_2458834754.jpg?t=1273261144

http://www.totcomicsdoom.com/s/cc_images/cache_2458834954.jpg?t=1273261221

Download the wad

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16067

Download from totcomicsdoom.com

http://www.totcomicsdoom.com/app/download/3525657254/SanityV1.zip

Guest DILDOMASTER666

It's not that there is something inherently wrong with your project, but you simply shouldn't expect to get such a high rating from the get-go. I'd personally give this a 3 or a 3.5 at best.

Fisk said:

It's not that there is something inherently wrong with your project, but you simply shouldn't expect to get such a high rating from the get-go. I'd personally give this a 3 or a 3.5 at best.

Ah, well I didn't expect it, just kinda hoped for it.

I was really just saying that expecting any rating is ridiculous - people will give it 0, and people will give it 5

So I actually played through and it's ... weird. I'm sure actually a lot of people will give it low ratings but I found it rather fun - plus it is not tedious, the gameplay moves fast

However, the endless screen messages get really annoying, especially since you cannot advance through them. I was always running through the level with yet more messages appearing.

The bugs in that room that says "so many bugs" were bugs

Some of the time it had cool atmoshpere, I liked map05 although there were too many of those half life guys

overall I think this can be fun but it's too random, the scripting doesn't really add that much, or is annoying, the custom graphics are weird and it doesn't look like any are original, the damage direction was clever but annoying when you keep shooting it shows up as damage from the front...

I would say release it and move on. You obviously put a lot of work into it and it's kind of novel in it's ridiculousness...however the issues I have with it are more general things rather than stuff you can fix. You should make a more serious doom level, and consider making some vanilla maps. It's cool that you learned advanced features and they did what they were supposed to but some of your areas are really ugly and stuff. I guess it fits the psychedelic/dreamworld theme but I don't know, you could improve a lot on conventional mapping ideas such as proper texture alignment. I feel like you are clouded with the custom content and it would be good to make a no-strings doom level and concentrate on how to make that good quality (4 stars) and then you can move on to custom content

that said, this is not a bad job, just kindof scattered and strange. I would personally give it a 3/5 because it's fun to play but there's a lot of garbage that bogs it down a little...the custom monsters were all doom2 monsters with new graphics, not very interesting

I really enjoyed this despite the massive number of texture misalignments and some unfortunate-looking maps. I think you started off really well with loads of new graphics that worked well together and still kept the Doom vibe (a pet hate of mine is when new graphics and monsters stop it from feeling like Doom).

It felt more like a joke wad for most of the way through. The BFG was quite funny and some reason I found the SMG very satisfying to use.

The rocket launcher didn't reach the right side of my screen so it appeared to be a floating block in the middle of the screen. I thought the crossbow didn't work at all cos it was clearly a simple swap for the double barrelled shotgun, and the plasma gun was really ugly.

There was too much ammo as well. I always had 600 plasma and any time I was remotely in trouble I simply annihilated everyone with multiple BFG blasts. This is also how I dispatched "myself" in the duel, a duel which killed me several times and was quite unfair.

I thought all of the new monsters worked well although the fast moving zombies behaved awkwardly if there was the least bit of terrain between them and me. One ran off when I shot him in the back and I never saw him again! The "Don't go to Ravenholm" mission was a let-down because of some strangely placed "monsters cannot cross" lines. You would have been better having doors that dropped down when you got close to them, revealing a new swathe of zombies.

The Gargantua creatures looked amazing but were slightly underwhelming. The first time I saw one I was "Oh shit" but with it being a simple Hell Knight replacement they were no problem to kill. Now with twice the health, a very powerful melee attack and the Mancubus ranged fireball attack, they would have rocked.

More positives: your use of ZDoom's tricks was well implemented and never got in the way, in fact they really enhanced this wad. I chuckled to myself every time I died and got a simple FAIL message. Bonus points for your consistent storyline as well which strung the maps together nicely.

I'd give it 3 stars as it is now.

MajorRawne said:

I think you started off really well with loads of new graphics that worked well together and still kept the Doom vibe (a pet hate of mine is when new graphics and monsters stop it from feeling like Doom).

Keeping doom vibe? Are you serious? The vibe I got was, total chaos. It features enemies from all kinds of random games with no theme at all, and even the MSPaint caco (my least favorite despite cuteness). MSPaint on the walls, the weird bfg, the weird weapons, the damage direction thing??? WHAT, this made it specifically not feel like doom...which I thought the author was going for. Which leads me to my next point:

MajorRawne said:
It felt more like a joke wad for most of the way through. The BFG was quite funny and some reason I found the SMG very satisfying to use.
[/B]

UH.....WHAT

Stop contradicting yourself! First it's classic doom, then it's a joke wad...

Anyway I forgot about those block monster lines...I was just hanging back pummeling those guys

Why can't a joke wad be classic Doom in style? There's more to a decent joke wad than deliberate HOMs.

(By the way there were noticeable, unintentional HOMs in the second map when you teleoprt into the first chamber. They were against the far wall.)

What I meant was the graphics used for scenery - skulls with candles, trees made out of weeping skulls, hanging skeletons, all fitted in perfectly and did not seem out of place. I didn't make that clear enough. Also the Gargantua monsters were scaled down perfectly, the monsters simply lacked the toughness to match their appearance.

It is difficult to hang on to the sense that you are still playing Doom when there are many unfamiliar elements. I don't know, I just thought most of it seemed to fit.

MajorRawne said:

(By the way there were noticeable, unintentional HOMs in the second map when you teleoprt into the first chamber. They were against the far wall.)

Yes I know. I fixed them once but they came back (I don't know how) I used the same method to remove them I had previously used but it failed. So I put the so many errors message on the wall.

MajorRawne said:

Why can't a joke wad be classic Doom in style? There's more to a decent joke wad than deliberate HOMs.

This is many things, a joke wad, my attemp at making doom new, and various other things I haven't decided. But it was mostly made to be fun, funny, and random so I hope even with all it's flaws you all got some level of enjoyment from it.

Btw the BFG is now the "Trap Cannon" for obvious reasons.

I think your wad is a success on many levels. Yeah there are flaws, whose map doesn't have them, mine most of all. I think your maps show individuality and character.

now I see what you mean major - I was focusing on the monsters and HUD, which remind me of oldschool graphics replacements

anyway, I agree that this wad is a success, however be prepared for the people who say it sucks just because of misaligned textures and stuff

Well yes, but deep down inside don't we all know that life is one big trap? Furthermore, haven't we realized by now that avoiding such traps is pointless?

I'll be baking up some zoloft brownies later should anyone feel the need for some.

Not too bad for a joke wad. Overall map layout kept the game play flowing.

MajorRawne said:

I think your wad is a success on many levels. Yeah there are flaws, whose map doesn't have them, mine most of all. I think your maps show individuality and character.

Thank you.

magicsofa said:

anyway, I agree that this wad is a success, however be prepared for the people who say it sucks just because of misaligned textures and stuff

I'm ready for those individuals who won't like it for some reason or another. I'm sure a few people will think it just plain sucks. But then there are those people who will accept it for what it is and enjoy it anyways.

Indeed...also, as I said before you should probably not get too hung up on making this the perfect wad. It's quirky and has its own charm and I think you will improve more if you focus on a new project.

magicsofa said:

Indeed...also, as I said before you should probably not get too hung up on making this the perfect wad. It's quirky and has its own charm and I think you will improve more if you focus on a new project.

I suppose that would be the best idea since most of the stuff that needs fixing requires dehacked. Something I'm not good at at the moment.

fatal error said:

I suppose that would be the best idea since most of the stuff that needs fixing requires dehacked. Something I'm not good at at the moment.

I'm not sure what you mean - also, you have no need for dehacked when using an advanced port like zdoom. Dehacked is only necessary for changing vanilla behavior, whereas DECORATE and ACS can do everything dehacked can do except with more flexibility and power

i haven't tried it. I'm heavily dissuaded by the sprite replacements, the fog, the slopes, the misaligned textures and incoherent overall theme.

I found the mod quite enjoyable. I didn't play through the entire thing but I did skip to the last two levels and I did enjoy it. Textures were not aligned in some areas though such as the door behind "Insanity". You did some nice effects such as when you're "Waking Up". I would enjoy Hud Message code over Print Code though. Print disapears too fast and is hard to read. Overall good work and I liked the theme.