Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Announcement: Doom 0.8

This project was sort of inspiration for restarting my alpha TC for a modified chocolate Doom. If there were any coders who cared, I'd already have some pretty neat features in the engine to accompany the maps.

Seriously, though. Are there any coders who are familiar with the alpha and/or beta internal workings that could help me out implementing alpha/beta features?

On topic though, if this is dead, perhaps whatever was left of it could be released?

xttl has worked on the engine side of it off and on, continuing to reverse engineer and tweak the pre-beta EXE.

The differences are far too extensive and overwhelming to ever be summarized in a forum post or explained to anyone who is not both a binary reverser and a highly skilled programmer. There simply is no substitute to accessing the binary code.

On the mapping side, nobody's sent me any maps even though several people claimed to be working on them. I'm not a mapper myself and had no intention of trying to work on maps for the project.

So I guess you can say it's dead in the water until/unless some people show up wanting to do the shareware map conversion. Personally at this point I'd rather take what we have (the beta E1M1 based on Romero's video, and the E1M2 already in the pre-beta), combine those with the shareware 1.0 IWAD modified to work with the pre-beta's extremely limited set of linedefs and to remove broken 2S textures, and just release that.

I completed E1M3 and E1M5 (the differences were very minor though) and posted them into this thread, and a complete E1M4 was posted here in this thread also. At this point I assume that you wanted them in PM form and we all managed to completely miss that somehow, but yeah, complete levels are all here. :P Given the stuff in the thread, only M6-M9 would have to be done.

InsanityBringer said:

I completed E1M3 and E1M5 (the differences were very minor though) and posted them into this thread, and a complete E1M4 was posted here in this thread also. At this point I assume that you wanted them in PM form and we all managed to completely miss that somehow, but yeah, complete levels are all here. :P Given the stuff in the thread, only M6-M9 would have to be done.

Ahh I guess I had assumed at the time that they might not be finished. I should take another look at what we have ;)

I've been considering doing E1M8.

By the way, is this open for any beta testers? If so, could I please test?