Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THE GMoD

Doom Evil Unleashed:: The Doom 0.5 Beta Project

Recently I started a project, mainly because I wanted to test my mapping skills. I started by converting the release Doom's E1M4 into what was present in the beta 0.5. I am still working on said map, although I must say it is working out great.
So I want to expand this further than maps, I started messing around in XWE and ported some of the graphics over (mainly sprites, all done in a test .wad mainly to not mess up the one with my map work)and that was working. So now I have the idea pretty much to attempt to convert what is possible over from the 0.5 beta into the final game. I plan for this to change mostly all of the graphics in the game to previous versions TO AN EXTENT (trying to stay legal and all), as well as manually port maps over in Doom Builder 2 (Manually meaning completely redone). I started with E1M4 because it is one of the maps I remember best.

So as you can see I am trying very hard to accurately replicate the 0.5 Beta. Please note that I am not just doing texture differences, as there are LOTS of Geometry difference, is the bottom shots, look at the door in the release version, then look at it in my mod, see that I have had to seriously change it for it to look like the pre-release. And note that right after that passageway are stairs in the final, witch in the pre-release was a lift. So I had to remove the stairs accordingly and place a lift there.

Oh, and I am a long time lurker here at Doom World. First time poster.

I plan to release it as a standard PWAD and it will work 100% with Vanilla Doom. But I am also making sure it works with at least ZDoom for you non-purists out there.

And yes I know this has already been done -_- nothing new here.

Well I just ran into a problem, I am trying to remove the Slime from the center where you get the blue key in the final version of E1M4, as in the pre-release that area only has treasure and Imps. And no Slime around it. So my first attempt at removing slime FAILED, it ended up leaving HUGE Slime Trails that you can actually FALL in at random. So anyone want to help?

THE GMoD said:

Thanks for the feedback nobody -_-.

You gotta wait more than a couple hours for people to take notice of anything around here ;) This forum can be painfully slow sometimes.

I don't have any advice for your mapping problem because I am not a mapper, unfortunately. Cool idea though. I'm working on my own beta-related project at the moment, although it is the opposite of this one. We're going to create a shareware "downgrade" so you can play the released levels with the prebeta executable :>

THE GMoD said:

Well I just ran into a problem, I am trying to remove the Slime from the center where you get the blue key in the final version of E1M4, as in the pre-release that area only has treasure and Imps. And no Slime around it. So my first attempt at removing slime FAILED, it ended up leaving HUGE Slime Trails that you can actually FALL in at random. So anyone want to help?

Sounds like an unclosed sector error. If it's not, then I wouldn't know without looking at the map.

Yeah it was an unclosed sector error. Why does Doom Builder not detect this when you check for problems with the map?

THE GMoD said:

Yeah it was an unclosed sector error. Why does Doom Builder not detect this when you check for problems with the map?

Eh, it should. Maybe you don't have the checkbox for unclosed sectors activated when you check for errors?

maggot202 said:

Eh, it should. Maybe you don't have the checkbox for unclosed sectors activated when you check for errors?

I will check.

The mod just went through a name change, as the current name is rather a temporary name.

The new name it "Doom: Evil Unleashed" taking from Doom's original name and subtitle.

Its moddb page can be found Here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-evil-unleashed-05-beta-mod

I am currently looking for someone to help out with the mod. I need someone who can script for the Doom Engine. If you are interested please either leave a message here or PM Me.