Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DaniJ

HI_START/HI_END method for high resolution textures

I'm currently working on implementing support in Doomsday for the HI_START/HI_END method of high resolution textures. There is something I'm not clear about though as the ZDoom wiki appears to contradict itself: http://zdoom.org/wiki/HI_START

Is this purely a way of embedding high resolution replacements for existing textures in a WAD? Or does this allow defining new textures/flats/patches?

If nothing to replace can be found the texture will be inserted as-is into the texture manager, so yes, it allows the definition of new textures. Such textures will have the same namespace as those defined in TX_START/TX_END.

I see. Any other special handling/treatment of textures defined in that manner that I should be aware of, or is that it?

glboom-plus requires non hires analogue for each hires texture, otherwise it will fail to start. Sure g/zdoom is more loyal.

Make your port compatible with Hell Ground by Eternal to be absolutely awesome :) Currently it works fine with glboom-plus, gzdoom and Risen3d. Last time I checked it had problems with edge and vavoom.

Hell Ground is the primary reason I'm doing this, it is indeed awesomely awesome.

More than likely I will do the non-hires analogue requirement to begin with and then address the new texture defining once I see what impact this has on the patch loading.

entryway said:

glboom-plus requires non hires analogue for each hires texture, otherwise it will fail to start.

That is the way it should be.

Otherwise, how would the engine know what scaling the hi-res texture should use? Picking a default value is bad, since a texture will behave differently depending on whether it actually replaces an existing texture or not.