Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kracov

any way to contact idsoftware?

A friend and I are making a RPG set in the world of Doom. It will be made with C++ and will be in the style of Final Fantasy. I'm assuming we need Idsoftware's permission to use the Doom name and it's images for the game. I just can't seem to find any contact info or help section at the id site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fangame#Legal_issues

aside from other series out there that have had fangames made of them using content pulled from the actual games (mario, sonic, castlevania, whatever else you could name that was around when those were) there have already been a few other doom fangames before

also may i ask why on earth you'd want to use C++ where you can avoid it

so are you saying, if i don't use any of the original images found in the Doom games, i would be somewhat safe? My friend is the one that knows C++ and says that it would be a little easier than learning how to work with scripts in RPG Maker.

Infinite Ammunition said:

What is wrong with C++? An object-oriented language seems well-suited for an RPG.

You could email John but ZeniMax owns the IP now so he might not be able to give the ok.

If your game is noncommercial, the best thing to do is probably to let your software read the original iwad. That way, you don't have to rip the resources to begin with. Make sure that it requires the full version, as id doesn't allow extensions working with the shareware wad.

If your game is to be sold, there is no way around a proper license, I guess.

They're never going to say yes and you're just going to bring attention to yourself

They can't afford to say yes, even if they'd would want to support the project. It'd open a legal can of worms nobody wants to have open. The best case scenario is that you get some wishy-washy responses that don't tell you anything. The worst case scenario is that they actively try to stop you. Regardless, you can only lose if you ask.

hmm. well, i still don't have any contact info yet, not even phone numbers.

Kracov said:

hmm. well, i still don't have any contact info yet, not even phone numbers.

looks like the consensus is that you shouldn't ask. Just make the game dude. It's not like it will be such a hit as to draw id's attention anyway. and if it is such a hit, well.. cross that bridge when you come to it.

yeah. perhaps the game even belongs at moddb.com where Doom: Fall of Mars is hosted. It's a combination of Doom and Diablo, which is essentially Doom in isometric view. it's made with Game Maker, and apparently the author used original doom graphics in it.

I've also seen various flash ports of Doom, which i think might have been done without id's permission.

thanks tradereddy. i've decided to make the game and if i come across trouble, i'll contact them then. thanks to all for the help.

Just make your game and give it free of charge. People in the Doom community has used and modified it's art countless times. It's just a don't ask, don't tell scenario. You're not making a profit from their art and it's kept within the community.

no i'm not profiting from it. i'm also going to make all-original images. if id contacts me, i'll offer to start up a domain and give them revenue via adsense or something.

Infinite Ammunition said:

[url]

Wha..? C++ has a lot of excellent libraries. It's all a matter of preference. I personally like having more control than in managed languages.

LogicDeLuxe said:

If your game is noncommercial, the best thing to do is probably to let your software read the original iwad. That way, you don't have to rip the resources to begin with. Make sure that it requires the full version, as id doesn't allow extensions working with the shareware wad.

This seems to be the easiest route. It will make more work for your project but you can have it load the *registered IWAD and take the graphics and load it into your game. You could still ask them about this anyway, but I don't see any reason you can't.

Edit: Definitely ask them. They can still say no, but requiring to have a real copy of the game is your best chance if you want to use graphics from the game.

the graphics and sounds belong and are copyright of id.

Which isn't even entirely the case for the sounds. Thus, such a statement would be anything but safe.

I just can't seem to find any contact info or help section at the id site.

You could ask SyncError on #quakelive IRC channel in quakenet. He is working at id and would probably be even somewhat of the right person to ask about this legal stuff.
I chatted with him when testing quakelive during close beta once, he seems like a nice guy.

EDIT: I believe i just logged in the first time in 9 years :O
EDIT2: OK, from searching forum posts it looks more like 5 years but still feels like ages.

Kracov said:
I'm assuming we need Idsoftware's permission to use the Doom name and it's images for the game. I just can't seem to find any contact info or help section at the id site.

Assume you don't have their permission. They have no reason to give it unless you have an interesting business proposition. Whatever you do, you're on your own here. You'll probably never get in any trouble if the project is a low key fan game akin to some informal flash web-game. If it does somehow gather attention and becomes embroiled in something remotely commercial (such as the site it's hosted on or whatever) or that id or ZeniMax don't like, it could inspire them to send you a cease or desist letter.

Making the program use the IWAD resources that the player has to provide would make it legal and suitable for a more ambitious project. If the formats in the IWAD don't suit you, you could make it "install" by extracting the stuff and then compiling in whatever format you need for the game. All our community WADs are safe because they depend on their product, specifically, and nothing stops you from doing the same with a game that uses their resources wholesale.

Hellbent said:
looks like the consensus is that you shouldn't ask.

No.

What if his game uses models instead of sprites? While NOT done by ID, they're still similar to the ID content.

printz said:
What if his game uses models instead of sprites? While NOT done by ID, they're still similar to the ID content.

That's also derivative, and without some way to make it require the original games, there's no way to make it legit. Supposing it also used textures and sounds, it could be "hooked" through those, though.