Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
THE GMoD

Graphics Replacement.

Well I just did my first attempt at replacing graphics in SLumpEd... didn't go so well. So I wanted to replace the Chaingun's world sprite, so I load up my rom in SLumpEd and find the Chaingun's sprite (MGUNAO). And I extract a random world sprite to make sure I get the background right, so I extract that sprite, and use the background colour as the background for the sprite I am replacing (witch btw is the beta chaingun sprite). So once I am done, I import it into the rom, replacing the chaingun sprite (since it has the same name). So I try and set offsets, I set the standard for this type of sprite, 31 by 18, set offset type to normal, and save changes. alright, so I select another sprite and reselect the chaingun... and... the sprite is no longer aligned... so after about 10 minutes of realigning and saving and such, I end up giving up and save the whole rom. I go into Doom Builder 2, put the chaingun in the map as a test, and load up. The chaingun appears now as a exclamation mark... so it is not working, I go into 3D edit and check it in there, and the sprite works except the transparency is not working, witch is strange because I used the right colour... exactly... so what the fuck is up here?

The sprite name...Did you errantly change the zero to the letter 'O'?

bytor said:

The sprite name...Did you errantly change the zero to the letter 'O'?

Thats supposed to be a zero? **

Well even with that fixed it did not help. The sprite still fails to either render transparency or appear in the map altogether.

The background colour, I am pretty shure is correct, it is:

Red: 0
Green: 255
Blue: 255
Hue: 120
Saturation: 240
Lum: 120
?

Are you inserting this into your own pwad and NOT the iwad? Are you inserting it between S_START and S_END? This IS a vanilla wad without use of a port, right? Are you trying to alter a transparency with a graphics program that doesn't support transparencies (such as MSpaint)? Have you tried it without altering the background?

bytor said:

Are you inserting this into your own pwad and NOT the iwad? Are you inserting it between S_START and S_END? This IS a vanilla wad without use of a port, right? Are you trying to alter a transparency with a graphics program that doesn't support transparencies (such as MSpaint)? Have you tried it without altering the background?

I am inserting it into a iWad.

Yes I am inserting it beetween S_START and S_END.

Correct, this is a Vanilla wad, But it is being tested in both Vanilla and ZDoom

I am using Gimp.

Without the altered background it is white, but I can give it a try.

I ask the latter because I gather that your're exporting this sprite that yer tryin' to use FROM a beta Doom? which would already be in the doom graphic format.

EDIT: And make your own pwad!

bytor said:

I ask the latter because I gather that your're exporting this sprite that yer tryin' to use FROM a beta Doom? which would already be in the doom graphic format.

I extracted it as a .PNG and then converted it back into the correct format and placed in the rom.

Edit:
Just opened and checked it out in SLumpEd.
And... uhhg... it says that it is a Windows or OS/2 Bitmap!
So... how do I fix this **.

Edit 2:
I have my own PWAD, its just that I did this as a test. Do not ask why.

Try hilighting it in SLumpEd...right click...convert...Doom GFX.

bytor said:

Try hilighting it in SLumpEd...right click...convert...Doom GFX.

Ok, its now got a white background. I will test it ingame though and get back to you. Thanks.

Edit: It appears ingame now, only problem is that it has a white background, how would I go about fixing this without having the same problem?

The best way to reliably import a sprite with a transparent background in SLumpEd is to have the sprite in png format first (with existing transparency), and then convert it to Doom Gfx. SLADE3 will be better for this.

As long as he doesn't start...beating his head...on the...keyboard. X(
(not reference to Slade)

THE GMoD said:

The background colour, I am pretty shure is correct, it is:

The background color is a myth.

There is no transparent color in Doom. All colors are opaque. Cyan does not even exist in the palette.

What happens is that some tools (notably XWE), in order to let people work with their beloved BMP files, decided that a "transparent color" was needed since BMP does not support translucency. They chose cyan because it contrasts well with the colors in the actual palette. (But some other tools had made different choices. DeuTex uses magenta.)

And this was the start of a massive clusterfuck.

Gez said:

The background color is a myth.

There is no transparent color in Doom. All colors are opaque. Cyan does not even exist in the palette.

What happens is that some tools (notably XWE), in order to let people work with their beloved BMP files, decided that a "transparent color" was needed since BMP does not support translucency. They chose cyan because it contrasts well with the colors in the actual palette. (But some other tools had made different choices. DeuTex uses magenta.)

And this was the start of a massive clusterfuck.

Yeah I remember when I wad modding Wolf3d that the transparency colour was Magenta. I guess I still assumed that there was a transparency colour :P.