Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kittytaymar

how fast are the moving sectors, er, moving?

I wanted to have a level with a 5-min time limit to get to the exit.

my thinking is that when the player moves out of the start room they cross a linedef which starts some bars lowering in front of the exit.

How tall would I have to make the bars' sectors* to give the player 5 mins. to finish, and how many units per second do normal and turbo movers move at?

*ill likely have to make the bars into a lift, which comes down just in time to hop onto and be able to access the door.

That's a good question. There's a super intricate map in Hell To Pay that features a self destruct sequence in 10 minutes and a crusher that is extremely high up. I don't think it was 100% on time but it was pretty damn close.

I was hoping to find this kind of information in the Wiki but I couldn't find it. I may have missed it though. You might want to doublecheck. there's a boat load of information in there.

Standard moving floors: 1 per tic = 35 per second.
Floors raising from the slime to form a bridge: they're slower than 1 tic, but dunno how.
8-unit stairs: 0.25 per tic = 8.75 per second
Regular doors: 2 per tic = 70 per second
Lifts: 4 per tic = 140 per second
Turbo doors: 8 per tic = 280 per second.

Another option is to use sector type 14 (door open after 5mins) to active a voodoo doll to lower the bars or perhaps then crush the voodoo doll, killing the player (this one is not very visual though).

Doesn't Doom 2 map 27 have a secret that closes after five minutes? If you want to do it in five minutes, that would work. However, if you want to use some other time (for instance, harder difficulty = less time), then the only way to get it right is a lot of trial and error.

The problem with that is that's when it starts to close, not when it's closed so much that it can't be accessed.

And I was thinking that if I do it with lifts/crushers/doors then the player has the option to teleport back to the start room and try another path.

Or can you reverse sector 14 effect, so it resets?

When you do door close after 5 minutes it closes at the normal speed, so you'd have to place the door high enough.