Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archvile22

Please help me how to record demos!

Interesting. I've got more than 600 wads in my wad folder and the launcher comes up without any delay. I suspect there's a potato afoot. :p

Ashtrodamus: If Zdoom and prboom keep ignoring your settings when you run them from a batch, they probably can't find the settings file. Try running the batch from the game folder with the ini file there too.

I remember when it started happenning to me the first time some years ago, there were a lot of gibberish prboom-plus.wads flooding the launcher selection. I haven't noticed it happenning ever since though.

How much does it mean for one to take away someone's time on UV-Max demos? I'm looking forward to this. I belong in the upper-echelon of Doomers. I'm nowhere near as good as j4rio or Rayzik, but I definitely have my moments. Demos are now working, can't wait to be no.1 for the first time. Gotta pick my maps carefully. This is exciting for an old fart. I am however having trouble getting used to prboom. I don't know if it's the higher resolution or what, but for me, it doesn't play at all like skulltag or even ZDoom. I had found a happy home at skulltag for most of my wads and now I have to change source ports. I'm always a SP Doomer and even though skulltag was mostly a multi-player source, it worked very well for SP stuff.

Ashstrodamus said:

How much does it mean for one to take away someone's time on UV-Max demos?

Depends from map. For me (as for TASer) takes from 4 hours to 3 days. UV-MAX demo on Sunlust map30 for example took 3 whole days.

Ashstrodamus said:

can't wait to be no.1

Number 1 in what? In amount of demos or time on DSDA? or as best speedrunner?

Ashstrodamus said:

How much does it mean for one to take away someone's time on UV-Max demos? I'm looking forward to this. I belong in the upper-echelon of Doomers. I'm nowhere near as good as j4rio or Rayzik, but I definitely have my moments. Demos are now working, can't wait to be no.1 for the first time. Gotta pick my maps carefully. This is exciting for an old fart. I am however having trouble getting used to prboom. I don't know if it's the higher resolution or what, but for me, it doesn't play at all like skulltag or even ZDoom. I had found a happy home at skulltag for most of my wads and now I have to change source ports. I'm always a SP Doomer and even though skulltag was mostly a multi-player source, it worked very well for SP stuff.

You might have to lower the res as some point if you start lagging in setups with lots of monsters. ZDoom makes a variety of things easier afaik -- blockmap is fixed, so e.g. punching things is hilariously easy. And the player is faster and gains momentum more quickly in ZDoom than in prBoom+ too.

Just play with prBoom+ some amount (even casual stuff on easy maps helps) and you'll get used to all the changes, probably within a week or two.

Azuruish said:

Depends from map. For me (as for TASer) takes from 4 hours to 3 days. UV-MAX demo on Sunlust map30 for example took 3 whole days.
Number 1 in what? In amount of demos or time on DSDA? or as best speedrunner?

Number 1 for any map. I'll feel proud when I see my name on the Demos Archive. That's all I meant. I've put a lot of effort into being a decent Doomer, and my reflexes are slowing down for my 40 year old ass.

rdwpa said:

You might have to lower the res as some point if you start lagging in setups with lots of monsters. ZDoom makes a variety of things easier afaik -- blockmap is fixed, so e.g. punching things is hilariously easy. And the player is faster and gains momentum more quickly in ZDoom than in prBoom+ too.

Just play with prBoom+ some amount (even casual stuff on easy maps helps) and you'll get used to all the changes, probably within a week or two.

Thanks man. I knew it would be a learning curve. I was trying to punch a Mancubus and couldn't hit him for shit on Scythe 2. I was like WTF?

Cyberdemon531 said:

What wads are you interested in running?

I've been working on Scythe 2 but I actually had Veinen beat on Zone300 map 26 UV-Max but I'm having trouble adjusting to prboom. I've got to play that source port for a little and get used to it. I'm not as good as you guys, but I can hang. I've seen plenty of your runs thanks to skepticist or maybe it was just your youtube channel. Can't quite remember. I know Alien Vendetta quite well, but I'm up against some elite players there. I'm currently on map 25 on Scythe 2 UV-Max. I'd been spam-saving for years and finally said screw this, I'm gonna UV-Max for real about six months ago. Probably took me about 1,000 attempts to get Scythe 2 map 23 UV'ed.

For Gz-Doom

If you need a Record-Demo assistant script . . .

try this ;

gzdoom_rec-demo_drag-wad.bat

https://archive.org/details/gzdoom-rec-demo-script

(.bat & readme)

Script automates the rec-demo process, just drag & drop wad to script.

Script creates a .lmp playback .bat automatically.

Other doom-game-types ;

You should easily be able to modify / edit the script (.bat) to use other doom-game .exe's & or syntax.

For example, to change from gzdoom, edit the gzdoom_rec-demo_drag-wad.bat & search for %~dp0gzdoom, then modify only gzdoom to another doom-game exe

Edited by strangelove : added hyperlink, this time worked, possible due to space at beginning of string first attempt