Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Portal is free until May 24

God dammit. Why couldn't they tell me this would happen two years ago?

So you only have a few days to decide if your free copy of Portal is worth the price we're currently charging

In other words, you'll be unable to play past the 24th. Not exactly what I'd call "free".

Scet said:

In other words, you'll be unable to play past the 24th. Not exactly what I'd call "free".

Um, pretty sure they mean the game's free to download until the 24th, not "you can play this game for free until the 24th, and then it'll stop working".

Very nice. If I did not get it with the Orange Box then this would definitely be enough incentive to get it. Still have not played it though...

The site said:

Now you have no reason not to try Portal.

I can think of one. :P

Even at $0.00, the price is too high for me.

Having to get steam is a big reason. Also a long download time is a pretty good reason too.

http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/
May 24th is the deadline.

And that is how you make a public service announcement, Patrick. No beating around the bush.

For anyone who hasn't played Portal and/or been living under a rock for the past few years, Portal is a very good first-person puzzle game that was well worth the $5 buck I shelled out during the Steam Holiday Sales.

You have until May 24th to download it for free, and no, it's not a trial version, you can add this game to your Steam account and redownload it whenever you want, like a purchased game.

If you already own Portal, I suggest setting up additional Steam accounts to grab this game for your family, friends, and loved ones.

I can't believe how far Steam has progressed in terms of PC gaming. They've been doing all these pro-community things that really brings everyone back into PC gaming.

Granted, one end of this promotion is to bring in an ever-increasing amount of Steam users to view their "Weekend Deals," but I do see these obscure, diamond-in-the-rough games that would have never registered on my radar had it not been for Steam's content delivery. Torchlight, Defense Grid, Braid, and World of Goo are good examples.

When taken into perspective of the PC vs. Console platform, Steam is easily carrying over half of PC gaming, with a bunch of other developers pitching in.

40oz said:

Doom Marine said:

And that is how you make a public service announcement, Patrick. No beating around the bush.

I was aware of that, and even posted in Patrick's thread before I made this one. His thread title "Ever heard of Portal?" wasn't very clear about the public service announcement regarding Portal being free nor the specifics regarding its "free" conditions.

In other words, getting the word out there.

This is good news for the 3 people who have never played it.

Doom Marine said:

Hahaha...

Anyway, this calls for celebratory music (don't watch this if you're one of those 3 people because spoilers)

I'm sure Valve is greatful to you for taking the extra effort to make the last thread's content crystal clear for us retards.

errr, riiiight... Well I stopped checking the other thread so it helped me. Got my Wife an account so when Mac is outta beta she can play then maybe she and I can co-op in the next one. Thanks Huy. :)

Now I just need to wait for a Linux version. But I grabbed it, maybe I can download it later when everything starts working in WINE.

A Video Game said:

GUESS WHAT, YOU JUST GOT IT FOR FREE, ARE YOU PROUD OF YOURSELF?

HackNeyed said:

errr, riiiight... Well I stopped checking the other thread so it helped me. Got my Wife an account so when Mac is outta beta she can play then maybe she and I can co-op in the next one. Thanks Huy. :)

I didn't even bother opening the "Ever Head of Portal?" thread until I saw the Portal deal on Steam. I mean, if someone is gonna make a PSA, they should do it fucking right.

Makes me wonder how many people were missing out on this deal because of poor communication, so I took care of business. Glad you got that for your wife. I opened up a few steam account for my little sister and some friends.

Danarchy said:

This is good news for the 3 people who have never played it.

Well, one's been elimintated, where're the other two?

Dammit Enjay, must you continue to bitch about online distribution? Seriously, it's getting ridiculous. Four years ago, complaining about Steam made sense, but now the problems Steam had in the beginning are gone and it's just tiring to hear you whine about how horrible it is to not have a physical copy of a game you bought.

Don't fucking get him started, he'll start talking about dialup and living in the woods again. Just back away quietly and pretend he's amish or something.

Welp, I've never played it, though I've heard plenty about it. I might give it a download. Just as long as my patience over the huge download time holds out.