Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mmx

High-resolution Doom

I'm starting to work on a Doom mod and i would like to know more about the possibility of having high-resolution textures and sprites for the game. I have some very high-res animated characters, weapons and textures here, that i have drawn and colored on Photoshop. I know that some engines support that, but when i tried to edit the game content, the editors did not manage the high-res sprites quite well... instead of being high resolution, they were too big for the screen.

So, my question is:

1) What's the best engine for this?
2) Can i render Doom at 1024x768, instead of 320x240? Right now, i think it renders at 320x240 and them resizes the screen accordingly to the user choice. How can i have 1024x768 natively? This way i can scale and manage my content (sprites, textures, etc.) accordingly.
3) What should i use to implement the high resolution sprites into the game, since the editors don't allow them?
4) Any other suggestions or ideas?

I believe Doomsday and ZDoom support high res textures.

And you can pretty much play at any resolution as long as your computer can run it.

Ok, but what about editing? As i said, when i try to edit the games weapons or enemies, for example, with my own sprites, they get too big for the screen, instead of being high-res.

A little bit of DECORATE script is probably your best option. The ZDoom family supports sprite scaling - which should do the job nicely - don't know if Doomsday does.

The easiest way to import high res images would be to switch to *.PK3 format. Not sure if Doomsday supports that or not, but ZDoom and GZDoom do.

mmx said:

3) What should i use to implement the high resolution sprites into the game, since the editors don't allow them?

What do you mean by that? If an editor doesn't let you arbitrarily do whatever the fuck you want, it's a bad editor.

Ports that support hires should have their own means of allowing you to resize sprites. For example, ZDoom lets you rescale actors with a scale property in DECORATE or in an embedded DEHACKED lump (Harmony uses this). There is also the TEXTURES lump for rescaling any graphic, if you want to rescale sprites without changing the actors.

Don't see what the PK3 format has to do with the whole shebang though.

If you want to replace existing sprites and textures with high res versions, you can put high res images in the "hires/textures/", "hires/flats/", and "hires/sprites/" directories of a .pk3, or I think it can all go between "hi_start" and "hi_end" markers of a wad (sprites too? IDK). This method may soon be possible in Doomsday too.

In ZDoom, the TEXTURES lump can scale individual textures and sprites, and the scale property in Decorate monsters can scale the monster sprites down or up.

Lots of misinformation in this thread. For starters you don't need DECORATE to scale sprites. I don't even use ZDoom and I know this much.

In Doomsday to create a high resolution sprite all you need to do is to create your png/tga/pcx, name it the same as the sprite you want to replace and then create a PK3 and put your new graphic in the "Patches" folder. Then load said PK3 with Doomsday.

More info:
Addon format
Automatic file mapping in PK3
How to use hires textures in your map (about Textures but the process is basically the same)

HI_START / HI_END method works with most (all except doomsday?) ports: GZDoom, GLBoom-Plus, Risen3D, glEdge and Vavoom. Just create these markers (Lump -> New) in SLumpEd and load all HiReses between them (Lump -> New from File)

For testing purpose, you can simply put hires textures into /textures sub-folder, flats into /flats and sprites/patches into /patches. This method works at least with GZDoom and GLBoom-Plus (you should switch on using external textures in options). For GLBoom-Plus you can specify any folder with external hires textures by means of gl_texture_hires_dir config variable, so you can have several sets and switch between them easily.

The HI_START/HI_END method is not currently supported in Doomsday. However I'm currently working on this and hopefully it will be completed in time for the upcoming 1.9.0-Beta6.10 release. No promises though as there is quite a bit of work left to do.

I'm not talking about map textures, i'm talking about sprites, such as enemies and player weapons.

We get that. The posts above describe several methods and each is applicable to sprites. The only difference being the name of the folder/directory you put them in.