Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kittytaymar

autoguns

Autoguns

I've been trying to make a kind of autogun, to defend a base, using a similar method as in Plutonia map15.

In this map, there are four chaingunners who will shoot, and when any of them are killed an archvile will resurrect them. The vile can't see the player, so won't attack directly. There's a linedef linked to a crusher which kills the vile to stop the flow of bullets.

Unfortunately, I can't see how TeamTNT did it. In my attempts the vile can either see and attack the player directly, or won't resurrect the enemies.

Has anyone got any pointers on this? I'd like to expand the idea to create a defence force of SS on the battlements of the castle - that'd hurt - and maybe some spiders in bunkers nearby, using the same effect.

-----
Favorite map ever: Plutonia MAP32

What port are you using for this? If it's boom or just vanilla infinitely tall characters allows the arch-vile to be any height above or below the chaingunner to res it so just having the chaingunner on a platform exactly the width of it's bounding box will allow the arch to res it from an alcove 128 units below. Other advanced ports (zdoom, eternity, vavoom, doomsday, etc.) allow you to make scripts, which could be as simple as 'check if chaingunner is in sector x, if no chaingunner, spawn chaingunner'. I'm sure there's also a way to make them invincible, although then they'd just keep shooting at you and the player would have no way of interrupting fire.

If you are willing to try your hand at DeHackEd, it is possible to assign states to existing doom objects (they don't have to be monsters either) similar to that of a chaingun guy.

For example, a torch has 4 different states. You can make the first state the Look state so that it looks to see if there is a target in its view that it can open fire on. Next one of those states can be the FaceTarget state so it aims at its target. Make the next state the CPOSFire state so it fires some bullets like a chaingunner, then the last state the Refire state so it checks if something is blocking its view from its target and it stops shooting.

Then you can assign the Shootable flag to the torch, give it a fair amount of health, and make it's death state null so it just dissappears when it dies.

I could never get dehacked to work properly. The doom program is from dooom collectors edition and the file offsets are different. Plus it kept having problems accessing the file; kept saying 'cannot find doom2.exe'. Hardly surprising, since there isn't one. (/moan)

Infinitely tall actors has nothing to do with it. The Arch Vile has no Z check when it comes to resurecting. As long as it is close enough to a corpse on the X Axis, it will resurect it.

Also, all bad guy attacking actions called A_Facetarget.

The earlier attacking states calling A_Facetarget is purely a cosmetic thing. Else the bad guy would begin it's attack states facing the wrong face and then suddenly turn around for the final attack state (where the attacking action is called).

Vermil said:

Infinitely tall actors has nothing to do with it. The Arch Vile has no Z check when it comes to resurecting. As long as it is close enough to a corpse on the X Axis, it will resurect it.

Huh, didn't know that. Thought that became z-axis dependant like the melee attacks do.

@kittytamar; hmm, sounds like a version problem - I know little about that beyond there being versions 1.666 and 1.9 or something like that. Beyond getting help patching it might be a good idea to look into source ports, as you can just drag-and-drop the wad and .deh onto it, or even make the .deh internal to the wad using slumped or xwe. Chocolate doom would be the port closest to the original doom (besides doom95 if you want to get really technical. doom was originally dos ...). Others have useful features in both video quality and mapping actions, with some having scripting abilities. Might want to small steps with those kinds of features.

40oz said:

If you are willing to try your hand at DeHackEd, it is possible to assign states to existing doom objects (they don't have to be monsters either) similar to that of a chaingun guy.

For example, a torch has 4 different states. You can make the first state the Look state so that it looks to see if there is a target in its view that it can open fire on. Next one of those states can be the FaceTarget state so it aims at its target. Make the next state the CPOSFire state so it fires some bullets like a chaingunner, then the last state the Refire state so it checks if something is blocking its view from its target and it stops shooting.

Then you can assign the Shootable flag to the torch, give it a fair amount of health, and make it's death state null so it just dissappears when it dies.

uhhh doesn't he already have the chaingunner available? The problem is resurrecting him periodically