Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Opinons on DM Performance

I heard that Zdeamon is faster than ZDoom for online gaming. Which do you think is the fastest for online gaming? (Maybe this should be a poll)

Zdaemon and Zdoom has 2 different types of lag handling. Zdoom has head-to-head, slow motion lag. Zdaemon has ghosty, desynchronized lag as it is server-client based. Generally, movement is faster and smoother in zdaemon, but the aim with bullet weapons starts to get quite off at pings of 100+. In zdoom, movement and aim are often choppy and jumpy but at least you hit where you aim. I still recommend playing doom2.exe on msn zone if you have win95/98. http://zone.msn.com/zonelan

I don't think I can go back to low res. Why is DOOM DMing so slow compared to other games? This is especially surprising since DOOM is pretty old, thus not requiring as much bandwidth. Is it just because it doesn't have the kind of backing that Unreal Tournament, Counterstrike and Diablo 2, to name a few,have? What can the DOOM community do about this?

I might be wrong, but I guess the way the game code is done kinda interferes with today's networking capabilities. I mean there's been some mighty evolution since Doom regarding online gaming optimization. Afterall today games need as 5x the bandwidth.