Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

Mr. Hoppington's Shape Search: A Children's Doom mod

For my final project in my Intro to Digital Media class at San Jose State University, I'm trying to make a GZDoom Doom mod that basically changes Doom from an ultra-violent blood bath into a kid-friendly (age group is around age 6 and under) exploring game.

Here are some old screenshots:

I'm going to get a video of it later this week.

The objective of this mod is to collect three shapes: a red square, blue circle and yellow triangle. Once you collect them, you can press the middle switch to lower a platform, allowing you to collect the special prize to win the game.

The mod only has one level to it. I probably won't do much with this mod anymore. I'm going to use most of the textures for my Exterminator mod as a part of a texture pack for it. Anyways, go check it out here.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/oOhvm4LiNY/shapesearch.zip

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, it's so CUTE!!!

You know this could make a hilarious and fully fledged kids game. There should be funny little animals running about and stuff :D

I can actually see the potential for a real puzzle-driven mod that even doomers could enjoy

EDIT: Mr hoppington is actually a bit scary, he should have pupils in my opinion

Although this project is due Friday, I suppose I can continue it after finals are over.

I only have two other levels thought up for it. One is a tropical island type level and the other is a snow level. I'd need to make some new textures and other resources for it, but I think it should be doable if I work on this over the summer.

You understand that when you release this, someone will probably turn this into an ultra violent bloodbath? ... someone like me ...

You should make the entire beginning cute and soccer mom approved, then everything suddenly gets extemely gory and lewd toward the end. Leave stacks of copies with a FREE sign near local preschools with cute pictures on the cover and a rating of 'G'. Put a small, barely visible asterick next to the G and, in fine print on the bottom, mention that the G stands for 'Gory and sexually explicit' instead of the conventional rating system.

The shapes are the keys (most likely graphics replacements for the cards) that are used to activate the 3-key switch. The "special prize" for all I know could be a graphics replacement for the megasphere. That is all without playing it.

Why not put a Chex-Quest secret level in where you can interact with Chex-Man or something like that?

Oh yeah, with gggmork's idea the kids would be asking their mommies "Why is doomguy hurting that imp?"

Play through the whole thing in 2 minutes out of curiosity. The new textures(I loled at the colorful Panbook texture) and sprites are very...how should I put this...cheerful.

It looks cool. I don't think that those buttons would be intuitive to a little kid, though. You should make it look more like a cartoon button or a lever.