Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MajorRawne

Monster teleports not working?

Hi, I'm creating a trap in which several monsters beam into a room surrounding the player.

The monsters are in a hidden, inaccessible area connected to the room into which they are supposed to teleport. The monster area is connected to the main room by a tiny hidden channel with 1 pixel of ground clearance (to allow noise to alert the monsters). The monsters are not tagged as deaf.

The problem is, although the monsters are activated normally, they do not teleport into their destination sectors.

Can anyone tell me why? I have tried using "monsters only" and normal teleport lines and neither seems to work.

Each teleport line has its own tag and the sectors containing their teleport destinations have matching tags.

They don't seem to have enough room to move to the other side of the teleport line. I think they have to try a move that would cross that line, not just touch it.

Ha, perfect! Thank you! I had tried giving the monsters more room but didn't realise they might need room on the other side of the line. I modified the room as far as possible given the map's cramped conditions and the trap now works. Thanks :D

If I recall correctly - you need sufficient space behind the teleport linedef for the monster to get at least half it's body across before it'll teleport.

Thanks, that's gone into my book of Doom Builder notes :D

How do I get a Horizon Line while using Doom Builder -> Doom2 -> Boom? In Zdoom it's dead easy, you just go to Lines -> Horizon Line, but I cannot find it anywhere in the line properties for a Boom map.

MajorRawne said:

How do I get a Horizon Line while using Doom Builder -> Doom2 -> Boom? In Zdoom it's dead easy, you just go to Lines -> Horizon Line, but I cannot find it anywhere in the line properties for a Boom map.

It might be because Boom has no such line special...

Now if you're making a ZDoom map in Doom format, it's special 337. But it's a ZDoomy ZDoom feature that requires ZDoom and, regardless of map format, will not work in Boom-compatible ports that aren't ZDoom-compatible as well.

Hmm... hang on I uploaded a pic of the sector in question a couple of hours ago, I forgot, give me a sec to find the link.

EDIT: Here we go! Re-uploaded the pic.

The highlighted wall texture (which is in a brand new secret area, shh!) was going to look out on the night sky. Is there no way for me to do this in Boom?

So to get around it would I have to build a small outdoors area just beyond that room with R_SKY1 as the ceiling texture?

This is what I've got so far. I created a small outdoor sector but you could still see the tops of the walls, so I decided to add my trademarks. It looks OK but not how I intended it, I just wanted the window to open onto the night sky without being able to see anything else.

Is there a way I can do that from a window?

Gez said:

While on the ZDKB, this construct is not ZDoom-specific:
http://www.zdoom.org/zdkb/skywindow.html

(Though I think there's a problem if both the floor and the ceiling have a sky texture in vanilla.)

The most noticeable vanilla problem with that construct is visible tiling of the sky texture, though some fiddling with the window sill's height and thickness can hide that.

I don't play in vanilla, I always use a source port for the cool features, although I don't like maps that don't "feel" like Doom, like Hexen and Quake maps or non-Doomish monsters.

I do try to bear in mind that other players will use vanilla but some ideas are potentially unworkable without ZDoom, Legacy or Boom.

EDIT: Has anyone ever played split-screen Legacy co-op? Always thought that was a brilliant idea and my friends and I have had a lot of fun with it, esp. on the megawads like Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta.

Gez said:

They don't seem to have enough room to move to the other side of the teleport line. I think they have to try a move that would cross that line, not just touch it.

This.

I had the same problem the other day and I solved it by giving them room to cross it.

That sky window method seems a little sloppy...I usually get rid of the paper sides by making the two back sectors triangular (it's really like two triangles), with their vertices all combined on the sides. If you don't know why I mean I'll post a picture later today...gotta run to work though :P

Yeah a picture would be handy :)

Now I'm struggling with crushers BUT I think I made a stupid mistake so I will play around with it for a while before I ask for help! My 1994 map has had dozens of hours of work put into it, to be honest I think modifying an existing map might be the best way for beginners to start, provided they enjoy a challenge =D

MajorRawne said:

It looks OK but not how I intended it, I just wanted the window to open onto the night sky without being able to see anything else.

Is there a way I can do that from a window?

Lower the floors of the outside sectors way down. Like, --2000 from where they are right now. :P

Note that if the view from the window is too big and the sky texture you're using doesn't tile well vertically you might get a nasty looking sky, in which case make the window smaller.

Thanks Jodwin, I have implemented that in a couple of windows which look out onto a night sky. Feedback from people while playtesting (the map is nearly finished) will show whether or not the windows work. I have them high up in the walls letting light spill into the rooms, it's a slightly unique approach and I'm not sure if it works as well in practice as it does in my mind. Screenies:

HIDDEN GALLERY

THE GREAT LIBRARY

NOTE: The Great Library area is finished apart from adding a light sector spilling in from the window. It doesn't look as bland as in that shot while you're playing the map. Also, I'm not too sure whether the light effect in the Hidden Gallery works so well.