Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Freeze

I'm a conservative, but... [Muslim Miss USA]

...shit like this pisses me off: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts2099

Who gives a shit if the girl is Muslim? In the end, she is AMERICAN, and being AMERICAN in an AMERICAN beauty pageant is all that matters. Anyone saying that this is "affirmative action" has no idea what affirmative action even means.

I'm not crying racism...I'm always the last person to do so unless it is blatantly obvious. But this whole idiom of Mighty Whitey dies a long time ago, and it's pretty sad to say that some folks have not caught on.

Think about it this way: What if the girl was Asian? Would these wannabe political pundits be whining as much?

SPOILERS: They wouldn't.

I like how their is always a controversy of models who modelled in other things. WTF That's what they do!

Muslim? Well, it's disappointing she got suckered into religion. Doesn't really matter which one when you're enough of a loser to waste your life on these things.

Mr. Freeze said:

Think about it this way: What if the girl was Asian?

Uh, Lebanon is in Asia.

The vast majority of Muslims are Asian. Look: Asia. It's kind of silly (not to mention confusing) the way the word 'Asian' is being perverted by some in the USA to mean 'oriental' or '(south) east Asian'.

I've also lower-cased the C in your thread title so people won't assume you're talking about British party politics.

Grazza said:

It's kind of silly (not to mention confusing) the way the word 'Asian' is being perverted by some in the USA to mean 'oriental' or '(south) east Asian'.

It is rather silly and confusing, and I didn't know that it was only a US phenomenon. However, it isn't only used colloquially or being perverted only by ignoramuses, as I've read an official university report of student racial compositions from my alma mater that contained distinctions between "Asian" and "Indian", with the latter obviously referring to the ethnic group of the Indian Subcontinent (of Asia). Now I'm not sure if it was just an oversight on their part, but for a university and research institution (and a well respected one in Cornell) to commmit such an error was strange.

I didn't really read too much into it back then, but thinking back now, I think it is hilarious that such a twisting of definitions can be so pervasive that it has affected even academic institutions.

Well, I've not come across this trend in Europe, and it would be surprising if it existed, given which parts of Asia are closest, and the fact that many European countries have substantial numbers of inhabitants of middle-eastern or central/southern Asian descent.

On the subject of abuses of language in the USA, I recall talking to a lady who had grown up in South Africa but had moved to the USA at a relatively early age. At some point she was required to choose her ethnicity from a list (this was years ago, before these terms were standard). Seeing "African American", she felt that would be the most appropriate choice. It seemed a very accurate description - certainly more apposite than "European American", which the official who was overseeing this process insisted that she should choose. Eventually he had to explain that they just meant "Black" and "White" and the continent you were actually from was irrelevant.

Well, they are trying to determine ethnicity, not where someone was born - how is that a language abuse?

It is an abuse of language because that woman, who certainly has European ancestry, is NOT from Europe herself. They could have easily just used "Caucasian," but for some reason chose "European American." Granted, the term "Caucasoid" traditionally defines Europeans, but Caucasians have lived on the African continent for hundreds of years now. After a certain point, you just have to define a specific race, while not indigenous, to belong to that area. For example, European colonists arrived in Australia sometime in the early 17th century. Does anyone today still call Caucasians living in Australia, European Australians? No.

Mr. T said:
They only chose her because she is a Muslim

Even if that is so, these pageants are always more or less rigged or pretty artificial anyway, so...

Gez said:

"Caucasian" is a silly name.

It's only silly if you (mis)use it as a synonym for "white" or "European". Most Caucasoids are neither.

Of course, with Negroid and Mongoloid nowadays pretty much rendered taboo words, it does cause a bit of a problem to anyone trying to define a logical system of nomenclature for ethnicities.

Mr. T said:

They only chose her because she is a Muslim

... who could spark a controversy, generating more free publicity for the pageant than any other contestant would have.

kristus said:

This sort of mirrors the controversy around Obama and the presidential election.

Yep, pretty much. You can't say "we can't have a black president!" or "we can't let an Arab be Miss America!", but it's okay to hate on the "Muzzies" so they just raise that as their objection (even if, like Obama, they aren't even Muslims). So yeah, it's just racism trying to hide.

All the Indians and Pakistanis that I know in the UK would describe themselves as Asian. I think in the UK the word "Asian" would generally conjure up the image of an Indian-looking person. So, yes, I think that what was described is more of an American phenomenon.

For the love of God. You mention someone has a muslim/arab background and the conservative public goes apeshit. This is a Miss USA pageant, not some form of public office we've elected her to lead. She's American, she's pretty, she's rightfully won the title, yet we've become so spastic about anyone who's middle eastern in a public spotlight that people will go to lengths to find ANYTHING they can claim as "terrorist affiliations". Some people really need to get over themselves and realize that no, not every muslim out there is out to get you, let alone one who vied for Miss America.

Jesus, it was bed enough when people believed Obama was a muslim

Personally, I find the whole concept of beauty pageants pretty grim and morally ambiguous anyway. The fact that an unseemly row has erupted over something that I consider unseemly in the first place... well, it's all just part of a bigger mess IMO.

kristus said:

This sort of mirrors the controversy around Obama and the presidential election.

heh, beat me too it, though my reply was specifically going to be, "If a guy from Kenya can be the president, I think a Muslim winning a beauty pageant is okay," of course without warning anyone I'm being sarcastic.

What I love is this:

"Miss Hezbollah is now Miss USA," declared conservative radio talk show host Debbie Schlussel, saying that Fakih's relatives in Lebanon had ties to the terrorist organization based there. Schlussel also said Fakih received some financial backing from onetime Hezbollah supporter Imad Hamad — or, as Schlussel put it, Fakih's "bid for the pageant was financed by an Islamic terrorist." Suggesting the pageant was "rigged," Schlussel wrote off Fakih's victory to a "politically correct, Islamo-pandering climate."

Yes, it has been known for a while that the Islamist terrorists are planning to force all our women to wear bikinis and take part in beauty pageants with mandatory lingerie shots. This is a core tenet of the Quran and a proof of the ongoing Muslimization of the Western World.