Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mmx

Fixing bugs and implementing features in vanilla Doom source

Hey guys,

I'm starting to work on my own Doom source port in order to learn more about the game engine and how game programming really works. I've been with enterprise programming, and as you might expect, i've been bored all that time.

I would like to know where i can get some source overviews, tutorials for implementing features and bug fixes, as well some "guided tours". This is very common with the Quake engine, for example, and i would like to know where i can get some for Doom. Thanks.

Well, the vanilla source code is a bad place to start. It doesn't compile and is incomplete (no sound code for example). You could start with DOS Doom I guess. That's what most of the early ports did.

You may want to look at this old thread: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/thread/46757/

I have chosen Linux DOOM 1.10 to start my "adventures". Some people recommended that codebase and, apart from the lack of organization, it's very good. I will start by renaming some stuff and organizing the mess. I will also start to format the code my way and read it.

Any interesting tutorials available? Most importantly, bug fixes and tuts that allow me to remove some of the limitations of the engine. I want it to be as stable and clean as possible.

I don't think anybody has made a "How to create your own source port" tutorial, but if you want to fix bugs, you may want to look here.

I'm not talking about that. Please, don't be rude if you don't understand my request.

I'm looking for articles on bugs present on the codebase and suggestions on how to fix them, as well articles on new features and how they can or were implemented. That's the best way to learn a codebase.

If you think that's rude you're going to have an interesting time here, hah. Anyway good luck on your endeavors.

There are a few highly technical artices on the Doom Wiki which I have written (and a few by other people such as fraggle) that explain various inner workings of Doom, but there's nothing that goes so in-depth as to discuss the workings on a per-function or per-source-line basis.

I've thought about writing such a thing; the problem is that the potential audience probably consists of about 20 people in the entire world, so I feel like I'd kinda be wasting my time. I certainly know enough about Doom to write a book on the subject. Probably the next best thing you can do is find people like myself to ask questions.

Wouldn't the Boom or PrBoom source codes be a better spot to start working on a source port instead?

That was the conclusion of the older thread I linked to, which gave WinMBF as the best bet.