Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

Doom Battle Book - What is it?

Yah so, I was on ebay, and I found the Ultimate Doom, with the Doom Battle Book. I've never heard of it before, so what is it?

Heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTIMATE-DOOM-PC-Game-and-Battle-Book-/380233979078?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item5887b614c6

And By the way, those signed UDoom posters, are those something rare? Or rather common? 'Cause thats on Ebay too...

your link said:

"The book has clues to solve the lethal puzzles, combat strategies, maps with hidden doors, and more."

Did you not read the description?

The Doom battle book was the official guide for Doom1.

A "revised and expanded" edition was released when the Ultimate Doom was released. The book in that auction is the three episode version.

Doom 2's official guide was more mundanely just called the official guide.

That's quite tempting to buy, even though I already have the Ultimate Doom version. "Battlebook" sounds so cool :D

I have that Doom 2 guide, got it at a garage sale just so I could beat Doom 2 when I went to my friends house, way back in my childhood :D

The John Romero interview at the end is lulzy, especially when he talks about Quake.

Clonehunter said:

And By the way, those signed UDoom posters, are those something rare? Or rather common?

Not really. They came with the north american releases of Ultimate Doom for PC and for Mac too. But not to be found in all boxes, seems, that GTI left them out in later produced boxes.

The poster is fully printed, not really signed.

Vermil said:

The Doom battle book was the official guide for Doom1.

There's also Sybex's "Exclusively Endorsed by id Software" Official Doom Survivor's Strategies & Secrets book, which was written by Jonathan Mendoza.

I would take a picture of it if I had the time. It is indeed by Prima. That and I would likely be skinned alive because it isn't in pristine condition :D (I was 10 or younger iirc, surprised it isn't destroyed by now.)

One thing I'm interested in getting a strategy guide for is if to see if any of the information in the book is inaccurate (based on the collection of information on the doomwiki) or if they suggest ways to survive certain scenarios that could personally handle better.

I saw a video last week on "How to survive nightmare mode." While the player wasn't a complete moron when it comes to doom, the many strategies he suggested were definitely not the best and some of the information he described about nightmare mode was incorrect.

The Doom battle book incorretly states that Cyberdemon's and Spiderdemon's take 20 and 15 rockets to kill ;)

GhostlyDeath said:

Didn't PRIMA make some original Doom guides?

GreyGhost said:

Just one that I know of - the Doom 2 strategy guide Vermil mentioned.

They also made the strategy guide to the SNES version of Doom which I have.

Vermil said:

The Doom battle book incorretly states that Cyberdemon's and Spiderdemon's take 20 and 15 rockets to kill ;)

Same with the Doom 2 guide. I assumed they meant on average, as the amounts seem right when you got all direct hits. I originally took it literally, and thus was dead scared of Archviles because it didn't list the amount of shots to kill them, so I thought they would be immortal and cheap dudes that you have to run from :D

Wasn't all trash though, things like 3 BFG blasts for a Spider and 4 for a cyberdemon is somewhat accurate as a general guide, when they have 3000 and 4000 HP respectively.

The real trash part was the epic teamwork section, practically none of it applies to ANY FPS coop.