ixfd64

need recommendations on Doom books

I'm considering getting some of the following books in the near future:

• Tricks of the Doom Gurus
  • 3D Game Alchemy
  • The Doom Hacker's Guide
  • Doom Construction Kit
  • The Lost Episodes of Doom
I'm aware that 3D Game Alchemy is a revised edition of Tricks of the Doom Gurus, but does anyone know how much of the content (in terms of both the book and the CD) actually overlap? In any case, I'm interested in acquiring one (preferably both) of the editions.

The Doom Hacker's Guide is written by Hank Leukart. Since Leukart is best known for the Doom FAQ, I figured that this book would be a good read. Anyone agree or disagree? Also, can anyone tell me what's on the CD that accompanies the book?

Another title I'm interested in is Doom Construction Kit. I've noticed that many people have this book, so I would like a copy as well. (Anyone know if the 30 levels from the CD are any good?)

Finally, I have the WAD that comes with The Lost Episodes of Doom, but I'm interested in getting my hands on the book as well.

What does everyone think of these books?

The Lost Episodes of Doom is a complete walkthrough for the wad that comes on the disk, with some little additional informations about the maps.

ixfd64 said:
The Doom Hacker's Guide is written by Hank Leukart. Since Leukart is best known for the Doom FAQ, I figured that this book would be a good read. Anyone agree or disagree? Also, can anyone tell me what's on the CD that accompanies the book?

I can't compare with the others because it's the only one I have, but I would say it's decently written, capable of giving a novice (especially back then) a good start with editing. It goes over the fundamentals (divided between "basic" and "advanced") of editing with two utilities (DEU and DoomCAD), gives some extra editing tips, talks about how NWT and DeHackEd work, gives an overview of various other utilities of the time, and ends with a technical appendix which lists editing specs (types of things, linedefs, and so on) and identifies the resources in the IWADs. The CD contains utilities, documents (the specs, FAQ and the like), editing samples and a few levels (UAC Dead, the ledges series, and a some others). Hank does also start with an introduction that explains his involvement with DOOM.