Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kittytaymar

distance question [autoaim]

The player is at 0 unit height. In front is a building, at the top of which sits a chaingunner. The chaingunner notices the player, dealing heavy damage. The player returns fire, only to have their shots hit the wall...

AAAAARRRGGH|

What is the minimum level on the y-axis, which Doom's auto-aim works at? How high can I put an enemy so that the player's shots are effective?

I don't have specifics to hand, but it is a question of the angle, rather than the actual height difference.

As far as I remember, the principle is that if you can see the enemy, then the autoaim can hit it. Note that in this context "see it" means "see it in Doom2.exe in fullscreen view". If you are using a port that alters the field of view or allows you to look upwards, then that means you might be able to see monsters that you can't hit with autoaim.

In my experience with autoaim ive killed enemies at extremely steep angles with autoaim, even when off my screen, given that there wasn't a physical part of the map blocking my view of it. But I do know for a fact that there is a certain distance (lengthwise, not heightwise) in which autoaim will be ignored. I'd say it's about half of the distance hitscan bullets will travel before disappearing. In E1M5, Phobos Anomaly, if you open the first door into that main courtyard, there's a barrel and some zombiemen, if you stand within the courtyard it's far enough to autoaim at but if you stand back a good bit behind the door while it's open you can't autoaim on it.

40oz said:

In my experience with autoaim ive killed enemies at extremely steep angles with autoaim, even when off my screen

Note what I said about "fullscreen". If you have the status bar showing, you don't see quite as much at the top of your screen, so it can look like you've hit something you couldn't see. Also, with rockets it can look like they have moved at a very steep angle due to the way the graphics work.

Hitscan attacks don't work beyond a certain distance - 2048 units according to the Doom wiki.

Do you know the distance if the player decides to fire a rocket or plasma at the enemy? Specifically, what's the damage area of these projectile attacks?

Thanks again,

Grazza said:

Hitscan attacks don't work beyond a certain distance - 2048 units

Yes hitscan distance is 2048 units or less.

Auto-aim distance is 1024 units or less, which explains the phenomenon of the original post.

(straight from the source's mouth)

40oz said:

But I do know for a fact that there is a certain distance (lengthwise, not heightwise) in which autoaim will be ignored. I'd say it's about half of the distance hitscan bullets will travel before disappearing.

Bull's eye!