Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

quick sky patch question

How big can i make a sky texture for your average boom compatible source port? (namely prboom,eternity) 1024x128? or what about when supporting mlook? can i nudge it up to 1024x256?

When you look up in ZDoom and Eternity you can see 99 pixels of sky above the standard 128, so a tall sky should probably be 227 pixels tall.

I've had sky heights of 200 before and they work fine too (I think it stretches it a bit for all ports I've tried). 256 also works fine for me in ZDoom/ZDaemon/Skulltag.

Skies are by default 128 pixels tall. In order to not be a "short sky", you must be at least 200 pixels tall. Anything taller than 200 pixels has a chance of being cut off due to limits on vertical looking in software ports (hardware-accelerated ports can look all the way up and down so it's less of an issue).

tried 200 and it (in eternity) behaved oddly. The sky was centered around a point where the top and the bottom of the texture meet. Tried 256 and it is off-centre but this time you can only tell if you're right on something tall. like the top 32 px ish of the sky are off the top, wrapped up the bottom and a purple line joins it back to the foot of the texture again.

tried the 256px variation in prboom and it looks really good, though that was without mlook so the horizon was out of place (too low) as the top of the tex was the top of the screen

seems like it's too hit and miss and i'll have to drop back to 128px for max compatibility, sigh

You can always provide two different textures and use the correct one depending on which port you're playing in. Eternity provides EMAPINFO, and ZDoom-based ports provide MAPINFO. Most "classic" ports will ignore these lumps, so you can have different skies for different source ports. Set up a "classic" 128-tall sky, and "override" it with taller versions for ports that support specifying the sky texture. It's possibly the only way you'll get it to look the way you want.