Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deathz0r

why IE sucks (with actual mem usage proof)

ok, i was concerned about my WinME uptime (which is over 24 hours btw atm), so i did /sysinfo say with bersirc. it came up with this:

<deathz0r> SysInfo: OS[Windows ME, (4.90 - 3000)] ~ Mem[180Mb/192Mb (94.15%) [|||||||||-]] ~ CPU[1-Intel Celeron "A" "Mendocino" (100.00%) @534.71MHz] ~ UpTime[1 day 1 hr 23 mins] ~ HDs[16.13Gb/16.57Gb [||||||||||]]

after i shut off the IE windows i had up (2), i did /sysinfo say again and it came up with this:

<deathz0r> SysInfo: OS[Windows ME, (4.90 - 3000)] ~ Mem[150Mb/192Mb (78.35%) [||||||||--]] ~ CPU[1-Intel Celeron "A" "Mendocino" (100.00%) @534.94MHz] ~ UpTime[1 day 1 hr 26 mins] ~ HDs[16.13Gb/16.57Gb [||||||||||]]

see that? IE uses up 30 FUCKING MEGABYTES OF RAM on my comp. how retarded is that?

Yes well would you rather have Netscape eating your PC? I think not.

USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND
sdh300 4330 3.6 6.5 44764 33752 ? S 13:14 0:35 mozilla-bin

mozilla uses up 6.5% of the ram on a 512 meg system = 33 megs

Internet is pretty heavy, actually. I flush the cache everyday and that's 150 to 190 megs daily.

Heh, those results are actually quite fascinating. Memory was actually freed when you closed IE. With Win98, the memory usage might even climb when you close applications, and by all I know, ME is worse.

with 64 megs sometimes if I close IE (5.0) it can go from 74% free to 44% free. And it doesn't come back in a hurry, either.

I actualy understand some of this. I just want to know how Zaldron flushes his cache.

I actualy understand some of this. I just want to know how Zaldron flushes his cache.

He has XP. I think it's an option.

Well, a good hint to avoid cache corruption (or what results from that) is to place the cache on a ramdisk, so that it will be deleted by every restart. I do this on my non-pc computer :)

You easiliy can identify IE users by their double posting in threads, becaus IE´s cache is a pain in the ass.

Sad that Netscape has abandoned their browser (at least it seems so). Netscape is as fast as an 80-cannon sailing vessel with 1000 tons of water in it´s hull (and it is based on Mozilla, imagine that).

I would gladly run (or try out) Mozialla, but it refuses to work on my machine, huuu

see that? IE uses up 30 FUCKING MEGABYTES OF RAM on my comp. how retarded is that?

hehe, AOL, especially version 6.0 uses up very much of ram, too, and my comp only has about 56 Meg of ram at total

Well, since it's between IE and Netscape for most userz, it's like picken' da lesser of 2 evils.... which one sucks les for ya!
:P

The difference being that I can't think of another way that Netscape can possibly suck more, and IE is actually pretty damned good. :P

IIRC IE5 only chews up 10-15mb of RAM on my win2k box. And I've hated netscape ever since I ran version 4 of both IE and Netscape on my old 486 DX-4. Netscape ran slower than IE so I've only been using IE since.

Hey deathwarrior.... nice post count! If ya know what I mean!
:P

shush, you.

blame it all on tobe. he discovered it, i only discovered the empty message bug.