Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

5 Reasons It's Still Not Cool to Admit You're a Gamer

Danarchy said:

Those are four different subcultures right there.

Apparently not in Greece!

To paraphrase Mao Zedong, it's better to be a popular Ivy League pretty-boy jock, rather than an emo punk goth gamer.

Maes said:

To paraphrase Mao Zedong, it's better to be a popular Ivy League pretty-boy jock, rather than an emo punk goth gamer.

Mao was a wise man. He also single-handedly took China's economy backwards by around 30 years. Pretty pro.

Video games, for the most part, never move past that "HOLY SHIT I AM PLAYING A VIDEO GAME" stage. We have an E3 coming up. Watch how much of the conversation revolves around technical novelty (motion controls, upgraded graphics, 3D) versus character or story or creativity. We have only ourselves to blame--we pretty much demand this.

Hence why I have never bother playing new games.

Video games, for the most part, never move past that "HOLY SHIT I AM PLAYING A VIDEO GAME" stage. We have an E3 coming up. Watch how much of the conversation revolves around technical novelty (motion controls, upgraded graphics, 3D) versus character or story or creativity. We have only ourselves to blame--we pretty much demand this.

Quoted again for truth.

AndrewB said:

Stories require linearity. More sophisticated stories require higher levels of linearity. Linear games offer less control to the game player. The less control a player has over his progression, the less fun he has. Ergo, stories in games are negatively correlated with fun.

Doom has no story, but it is very linear... You just go from level to level(except for the secret levels, but that doesn't really count.)

Half Life 2, for example, has plenty of story(at least, compared to Doom) but is no less linear than Doom, but I still find it fun.

arrrgh said:
Doom has no story, but it is very linear... You just go from level to level(except for the secret levels, but that doesn't really count.)

DOOM does have a story, which is linear background prop suitable for a full-fledged shoot-em-up. The level sequence is mostly linear, although you can alter that a bit with the secret levels. When people refer to DOOM's non-linearity they do not refer to these two secondary aspects. They are talking about the level layouts themselves, which generally grant the freedom to visit various areas in different order and to optionally skip sections, generally at the cost of not acquiring certain items.

It isn't so much the story that stops modern games form having linear gameplay, then - it's the time constraints. Compare a level from Half Life 2 to Quake, and see how much more detail there is. They have the choice of producing levels with less detail but more paths, or levels with a single main path but much more time put into each area. The story doesn't stop there from being multiple paths through levels, but it does stop there being multiple paths through the game.

I play WoW, and people jump to the conclusion that it is all I do. So I don't really tell people anymore, unless they bring up that they play WoW. I hate gamer stereotyping.

fruitybubbles17 said:

I play WoW, and people jump to the conclusion that it is all I do. So I don't really tell people anymore, unless they bring up that they play WoW. I hate gamer stereotyping.

Ironically, I consider WoW to be a non-gamer game. I would stereotype someone who only plays Wow as Ridiculous, the subculture

Most of my friends play Wow (and I used to), and we all manage to get together to play D&D 2-3 times a week too. So yeah, not QUITE that time consuming. :P

It depends on how you define a gamer. In my school it more or less means the upper middle class kids whose parents buy them one of every console and jump around from one game to the next (these are the MW2, BC2, etc. crowd) in an ADD-driven frenzy, just because they find novelty in achievements and migrating to the game with the most populous fanbase to slaughter.

But if they're "gamers", at least as far as the public stereotype and industry demographics are concerned, then what do you call the sorts of people here on Doomworld? The ones who are actually interested in a game's community and longevity, the ones who play to improve and keep the fun and spirit alive?

Even though I consider the first group to be up the same alley as bored old people who play flash games and the second group to be "gamers" in the more dramatic sense of the word, the industry seems to have it the other way around.

Sigh.

StoneFrog said:
But if they're "gamers", at least as far as the public stereotype and industry demographics are concerned, then what do you call the sorts of people here on Doomworld? The ones who are actually interested in a game's community and longevity, the ones who play to improve and keep the fun and spirit alive?

Doomers :p

yea, DOOM is almost 18 years old now, and there is still people like us building and playing it :P

cool this game didnt just die like any other game

POTGIESSER said:

That's why the article is so silly. Oh noes! If I tell someone I've played a video game they will automatically associate me with socially inept, fidgeting, spastic, drooling retards that scream profanities into their headsets.

+ 1000!

Playing videogames has little to do with how cool you are. Or being a "gamer." You could be a really cool hardcore gamer, or uncool, or not a gamer, or the worst, a really uncool non-gamer. Nothing going for this guy

As long as you don't let you gaming externalize, you should be OK...I think. E.g. wearing a "the cake is a lie" T-shirt or one that says "kekekeke ZERG RUSH OMG <^_^>" does not exactly help your case. Neko mimis notwithstanding.

Maes said:

As long as you don't let you gaming externalize, you should be OK...I think. E.g. wearing a "the cake is a lie" T-shirt or one that says "kekekeke ZERG RUSH OMG <^_^>" does not exactly help your case. Neko mimis notwithstanding.

*looks down at the NPC shirt he is wearing*
>_>

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I play alot of videogames and am an occasional pirate for various reasons (to protest the PC release of Modern Warfare 2, I torrented it 5 different times and never played it; I previously owned Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, but my disc was extremely damaged; etc.).

However, IRL, I am considered a cool guy to hang out with. I'm usually chill, and a few times I've even got complements from girls that I'm "cute". I've touched tits. I've done the nasty. I have friends, and a life. I've held girlfriends for longer than a week.

Isn't that insane?