Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Stretching Textures

A really cool effect I saw using Zdoom was stretching a single texture to the size of a large object... I think. Some wads used objects like switches as huge decorations in the background. Dig they stretch a texture? Or is the effect some other trick? I can't wrap my head around how this was done.

I'll do my rounds on ZDaemon and see if I can't find the wad. It's a cool effect. I want to make a huge object with a small texture.

How the fuck do you do that? That's so awesome.

EDIT: Hey, a tutorial in the comment section.

UPDATE: Ok, this is pretty much what I wanted at the moment. I'm a little sad to see I can't make a texture and stretch it. I want to make entire walls with a single texture instead of making panels like used with the Icon of Sin.

Technician said:

I want to make entire walls with a single texture instead of making panels like used with the Icon of Sin.

There are a couple of ways to do this that I can think of, but neither of them is "automatic", and neither of them will completely solve your problem:

1. Select the texture you want stretched, manually edit it in a graphics editor (i.e., stretch it and apply an algorithm to approximate/smooth out the stretched pixels), then insert it into your wad.
    2. Select the texture you want stretched, then scale it up in a lump editor such as XWE or SlumpEd.
When you use either of these methods, you're still working with a texture with a fixed size. If you apply it to a surface with larger dimensions the texture will tile. In other words, if you want to be able to stretch your texture over any surface, regardless of its dimensions, these methods will not solve your problem.

If you're mapping for ZDoom, you can use UDMF which allows you to scale the texture directly in the map editor, since there are sidedef and sector properties for that.

However, that requires using DB2, and I don't think ZDaemon supports UDMF. (Skulltag does, though.)

Oh wow I've seen maps that look like they use sectors as a mountainous background for the skies. I've been interested too but I figured cutting out doom textures and stretching/skewing them in an image editor to look like parts of s sector would be the best approach at it.